“Decent, could be a lot better”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Stroudsburg
Mountain Vista Campground
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Based on the reviews, I was a little leery of Mountain Vista, but by the end of the weekend I came away fairly positive.

PROS:
Every campsite is wooded (with big full mature trees), covered in gravel, and a decent enough size.

Good quality interior roads and the sites are easy to back in
- Despite the fact that it is very wooded, bugs weren’t a big problem (don’t get me wrong there are a decent number of them, but not as bad as you would expect).

The staff was friendly

Excellent Wifi at your site – Two big plusses (1) it was fast enough that I could stream Netflix without any problems and (2) we could connect two devices at the same time. (both are frequently issues at other campgrounds).

We do not have kids, so I cannot fully comment on the activities, but it seemed like they have a lot of options.
At check in, they provided a very good map of the area and local information.

CONS:
They do not take credit cards

Making the reservation was a nuisance. First you have to call them to make the reservation, and then log on to their website and put the information from your check in for the deposit.

Bathrooms – as other readers have commented, there is only 3 showers each for men and women for the ENTIRE campground. I found them to be relatively clean, but kind of old and full of flying bugs common in the woods. I can’t imagine how frustrating that would have been had I needed to use them.

They listed an RV Show as an activity for the weekend, which consisted of a local dealer bringing TWO trailers to the campground. It wasn’t worth the time to walk to the “show”.

All in all, I would consider coming back for my next trip to the Poconos, although there are a lot of other good campgrounds that I will consider as well.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank delawaredan
There are newer reviews for Mountain Vista Campground

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Wow... Where do I start. To give a bit kf a background on my family, we are a young active family with 3 children who camp about 4 to 5 times a yeAr usually staying at a site for 3 to 4 days. We checked in Friday night and was greeted by a very friendly staff member who took care of us quickly (as it was getting late). From there it went downhill, FAST.!! In an effort to help clearly identify the food and the bad below is a list of pro's (not many) and cons that my wife, and 3 children experienced during our stay.
First, the pro's:
1. Plenty of activities such as ping pong, table pool, cornhole, horseshoes, tennis and basketball courts, nice size pool and a game room.
2. They had a free Dj and kareoke One night which was nice.
3. They had a fun activity for the children with small prizes one of the days.
That's about it though.

Cons (in no particular order):
1. Expensive. For a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children under 5 years old) the bill for a 2 night stay came to a hefty $96..!! Other campsites in the area that were much better were $30 per night. They also charge for children!!! Really? How can you claim to be family orientated when you charge for children?
2. The sites are very small and very close to one another. Once again, taking my experiences from previous trips to other camps, these sites are very tiny. And all available space on their property is used to maximize profit. It would be better to have some space to spread out.
3. My children are learning to ride bikes and cannot ride on the steep inclines made of gravel, so we took them to the tennis and basketball courts to ride their bikes. The children were having a great time when a staff member stopped us and reprimanded my wife and I like we were children ourselves!! They told us that riding the bikes was not allowed in the courts. To which I commented that there were no signs saying that they couldn't and mentioned that if anybody were waiting to use the court, we would gladly move. She said it was against the rules and DEMANDED very rudely that we stop the children. I then asked if there is anywhere else that they may ride that is paved due to them not being able to ride on dirt. The staff member said no and then walked away. Very rude!! BTW, Nothing on their website about not riding bikes on paved areas such as the courts.
4. Free wi-fi was a nice bonus of the campground, figuring the children can watch cartoons in the morning and my wife and I would listen to streaming radio at night. Not possible due to the wi-fi being out the first day and while funtional the second day it cut out quite frequently so watching movies and listening to radio couldn't be done without frustration.
5. Dogs were barking continuously throughout the campground. In particular, the campsite next to ours had three dogs which did not stop barking day or night which was extremely disturbing!!! it felt like we were in a kennel.
6. Speaking of dogs, there were piles of feces on the roads. We had to watch very carefully where we were walking to avoid stepping in them.
7. During our second night, we had a fire going in the fire ring. We had it tee-pee style so that the wood would burn (we bought wood there but it was very wet). A staff member was riding buy and stopped to tell us that we had to let the wood burn down and that it could not be above the fire ring (which is 1 foot high)!!! What?!? Never have I been told that we couldn't burn wood a particular way. BTW, checked the campground rules in their website and sure enough, no mention of that fire rule. (seems that making up rules on the fly is commonplace at this facility...)
8. Bathrooms and showers. There are only 3 stalls, 2 urinals and 3 showers to serve the entire campground!! They are a bit dirty not because if the lack of cleaning, but just due to the number if uses that they endure each day.
9. Finally... This might be a little picky, but there was no lifeguard in duty at the pool. Some places have them and some places don't but it's always nice to stay at campgrounds that do. It's not like I would let my children go unattended, but it's a peace of mind knowing that there's another set of eyes watching (handy when you have three kids)

To sum it up, my family will not be returning to this place.

• Stayed: June 2012
15  Thank Clkdmk
Reviewed June 18, 2012

If you love the sound of an entire campground full of barking dogs, steep gravel roads, rude staff, ONE undersized restroom, and overpriced wet wood, then is the place for you. we will never go back. it was like staying at a dog kennel and they did nothing to stop it. keep looking !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank padomy
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I do not agree that it is a good place to take kids. I always thought camping was a family event not at Mountain Vista. They charge extra for kids, I could see if it were a race weekend and they charged you like most campgrounds do in the poconos. When I questioned it the owners were very rude about it.It really is not a safe place for kids the cars go through that campground at speed that I found to be unsafe.I have camped in many campgrounds in the Poconos I know we will never go back ther again my money spends anywhere. PLEASE think twice before you go unless you want to give your money nto rude nasty people.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank Roxy576
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This campground is excellent for families. Our family camps often and are on the hunt for the best campground. We had never been to the Poconos and stayed here on 4th of July weekend. We came in on a Thursday and left on Tuesday. There are many activities and amenities for children. My kids played tennis, swam in the pool and played at the park. The activities at the pavillion were organized and quite enjoyable thanks to the wonderful staff. The chinese auction was tons of fun and my girls won a lot of prizes. DOWNSIDE - The pool was completely crowded and I think it would have been good for a limit of people allowed in the pool. At times, there was a lot of splashing and people throwing their kids up in the air. This pool was not big enough for that. I read the other review about wet wood and that was probably the most probelmatic part of the weekend. We bought 3 bundles of it and it was all wet. It also had a foul sour smell to it which made my stomach sick. I did take note that there is only one bathhouse in this place which is very surprising given the amount of camp sites. Luckily I was not impacted by lack of showers because I have a travel trailer. I'm not sure people understand the importance of a shower especially in summer. ONE BATH HOUSE IS NOT ENOUGH!!! Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and the kids had an excellent time. Another note, I thought East Stroudsburg itself was a scummy town. There was a lot of trash, boarded up buildings and undesirable views. I'm not sure I would come back with that vision in my head. Also, there was so much traffic, it took us forever to get anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GburgfoodieQ
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This campground is an amazing place to take kids! There is so much to do here: a nice pool, a pond for catch and release fishing, volleyball and tennis courts, ice cream in the general store, bean bag toss, giant checkers, bocce ball, nightly activities such as bingo and lots of great outdoor activities nearby. The staff do an amazing job being patient with all the little ones running around and keep things running smoothly.
But it has a few drawbacks. First of all, there are about 200 campsites and only three showers! We visited over the fourth of July weekend and the campground was packed, so everytime I went in the bathroom, the showers were occupied. Even while brushing my teeth I felt like I was in someone's way or keeping someone waiting. The showers were so heavily used that they always seemed dirty and slimy. I saw campground staff in there cleaning a few times, so it wasn't that they were neglectful-it was just a volume issue. The showers were constantly in use. Having an RV with bathroom facilities would have made this experience a MUCH better one.
Our campsite had a brake drum from an old truck that was meant to be used as a fire ring. While this was a clever idea, it was tiny and someone had poured soda into it prior to our arrival. This made the fire very hard to start. To further complicate things, we bought wood from the camp store that had obviously been sitting in the rain while wrapped in cellophane. We go camping a good bit and are hardly novices at keeping a fire going, but between the soda in the brake drum and the wet wood, we could barely start a fire even with fire starters, let alone dream of cooking over it.
With the heavy concentration of families, it made it hard for us to feel like we were really "getting away from it all". Enjoying nature was impossible. It was more like sleeping in a tent in a woodsy parking lot than escaping to the wilderness.
We were supposed to leave on Monday. When we woke up to a rainy day on Sunday we decided to pack up and go home rather than spend a day in the tent, listening to screaming children and fighting for a slimy shower.
With all of these seemingly negative things, I still thought the campground was very nice. If I ever have children and an RV I would come back and have a very different experience. It just wasn't much fun for a 20-something couple hoping to escape suburbia for a quiet weekend in the woods.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to Mountain Vista Campground? Share your experiences!