“STAY AWAY DO NOT GO.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Stroudsburg
Mountain Vista Campground
Easton, Pennsylvania
“STAY AWAY DO NOT GO.”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I do not agree that it is a good place to take kids. I always thought camping was a family event not at Mountain Vista. They charge extra for kids, I could see if it were a race weekend and they charged you like most campgrounds do in the poconos. When I questioned it the owners were very rude about it.It really is not a safe place for kids the cars go through that campground at speed that I found to be unsafe.I have camped in many campgrounds in the Poconos I know we will never go back ther again my money spends anywhere. PLEASE think twice before you go unless you want to give your money nto rude nasty people.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Roxy576

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This campground is excellent for families. Our family camps often and are on the hunt for the best campground. We had never been to the Poconos and stayed here on 4th of July weekend. We came in on a Thursday and left on Tuesday. There are many activities and amenities for children. My kids played tennis, swam in the pool and played at the park. The activities at the pavillion were organized and quite enjoyable thanks to the wonderful staff. The chinese auction was tons of fun and my girls won a lot of prizes. DOWNSIDE - The pool was completely crowded and I think it would have been good for a limit of people allowed in the pool. At times, there was a lot of splashing and people throwing their kids up in the air. This pool was not big enough for that. I read the other review about wet wood and that was probably the most probelmatic part of the weekend. We bought 3 bundles of it and it was all wet. It also had a foul sour smell to it which made my stomach sick. I did take note that there is only one bathhouse in this place which is very surprising given the amount of camp sites. Luckily I was not impacted by lack of showers because I have a travel trailer. I'm not sure people understand the importance of a shower especially in summer. ONE BATH HOUSE IS NOT ENOUGH!!! Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and the kids had an excellent time. Another note, I thought East Stroudsburg itself was a scummy town. There was a lot of trash, boarded up buildings and undesirable views. I'm not sure I would come back with that vision in my head. Also, there was so much traffic, it took us forever to get anywhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GburgfoodieQ
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This campground is an amazing place to take kids! There is so much to do here: a nice pool, a pond for catch and release fishing, volleyball and tennis courts, ice cream in the general store, bean bag toss, giant checkers, bocce ball, nightly activities such as bingo and lots of great outdoor activities nearby. The staff do an amazing job being patient with all the little ones running around and keep things running smoothly.
But it has a few drawbacks. First of all, there are about 200 campsites and only three showers! We visited over the fourth of July weekend and the campground was packed, so everytime I went in the bathroom, the showers were occupied. Even while brushing my teeth I felt like I was in someone's way or keeping someone waiting. The showers were so heavily used that they always seemed dirty and slimy. I saw campground staff in there cleaning a few times, so it wasn't that they were neglectful-it was just a volume issue. The showers were constantly in use. Having an RV with bathroom facilities would have made this experience a MUCH better one.
Our campsite had a brake drum from an old truck that was meant to be used as a fire ring. While this was a clever idea, it was tiny and someone had poured soda into it prior to our arrival. This made the fire very hard to start. To further complicate things, we bought wood from the camp store that had obviously been sitting in the rain while wrapped in cellophane. We go camping a good bit and are hardly novices at keeping a fire going, but between the soda in the brake drum and the wet wood, we could barely start a fire even with fire starters, let alone dream of cooking over it.
With the heavy concentration of families, it made it hard for us to feel like we were really "getting away from it all". Enjoying nature was impossible. It was more like sleeping in a tent in a woodsy parking lot than escaping to the wilderness.
We were supposed to leave on Monday. When we woke up to a rainy day on Sunday we decided to pack up and go home rather than spend a day in the tent, listening to screaming children and fighting for a slimy shower.
With all of these seemingly negative things, I still thought the campground was very nice. If I ever have children and an RV I would come back and have a very different experience. It just wasn't much fun for a 20-something couple hoping to escape suburbia for a quiet weekend in the woods.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Timothy Lake South RV
Timothy Lake South RV
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Mountain Vista Campground? Share your experiences!