“Nice Hotel - Terrible Management”

Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband booked this trip for a weekend getaway with my 3 kids for my 40th birthday. Due to all of our kids activities being rescheduled with all the snow cancellations, we needed to switch our weekend. When I called the hotel, the directed me to the customer service at the corporate office. They said I had to speak to the hotel manager to have our dates switched because it was an advanced booking. The girl at the front desk could not help me either, so I asked for the manager to call me. I waited 2 days for him to call. After my 4th call, he finally returned my call. He refused to help me out. Screamed at me and told me he didn't want me to stay at his hotel. I have never been treated that way - ever! I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to switch to the following weekend. He absolutely refused. My only other option was to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Once I did that, someone from the main office gladly switched my weekend.
Now on to the hotel. I honestly did not want to go at all after the hotel manager treated me that way, but my kids were so excited and there was a no cancellation policy. My hopes were not too high. Surprisingly, the girl at the front desk was so pleasant and accommodating. Check in was quick and easy. We booked the one bedroom suite. It was perfect. The room was very clean. I bring my own clorox wipes when I go to hotels. I wiped everything down and there wasn't a drop of dirt on the cloth. The sheets and bedding were very clean. I was pleasantly surprised. My kids wanted to swim right away. The pool was clean and heated nicely. They had a ball! The only negative about the rooms in that the walls are very thin. I heard an entire conversation between the people in the room next to us. The traffic outside is very loud.
The breakfast was just ok. Nothing special, but it was fine.
Check out was easy.
Overall, we had a nice family trip. If I didn't have to deal with the hotel manager, the trip would of been perfect!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Debbie T

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We decided to visit the area and stayed 1 night at the Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg. We got a good rate on Priceline. I arrived to the hotel at approximately 1:30 PM and we were able to check into our room. The appearance of the lobby and the lounge area looked clean and the fireplace in the middle of the lobby felt inviting. The check-in young lady staff member was friendly and professional. We were assigned a room on the 2nd floor. The room was roomy and comfortable. It included a kitchen area, microwave, free WIFI, and HBO. Not bad so far. Staybridge Suites has everything you need for a short term stay. It is close to East Stroudsburg University, Shawnee Mtn (short drive), DQ eatery, DD, gas station, and a pizza place nearby. This hotel even has a heated indoor pool (no hot tub) and the free breakfast was up to the general standard (don't expect a buffet but would be excellent for a family). Overall, we would definitely stay at this hotel again the next time we visit the area. All the staff we encountered at this hotel were friendly and helpful. I have no idea why there are poor reviews for this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank dcnetworks
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Family of 4, including small children. here for ski weekend. This was our third stay here and second one this season. Purchased advanced booking with no cancellation option for guaranteed room and best rate. Checked in and entered the room to find out that it was a studio, even though I booked for one bedroom suite. Went back down to front desk to clear the issue and was informed that what was supposed to be our room was already occupied bc someone decided to "overstay," and one bedrooms are sold out. Manager offered us 50 percent discount and we decided to let the issue go. I would've much rather stayed in one bedroom suite which I booked for and paid what I paid. So much for "guaranteed advanced booking."
Moving onto next issue..
Noise level from neighbors was unbearable. Not sure if these were bunch of college kids, but they were slamming the door, loudly talking in the hallway. We let it go until midnight but they carried on all night long. All in all, it lasted from 9pm- 5:30am. Called front desk twice about this but nothing happened. We got up in am, packed everything up and checked out a day earlier than what we paid for. Of course no refund, credit, apology offered by management, because remember it was "advanced booking" with "guaranteed room but no cancellation." we would've come back here with years to come bc my children are small and they love shawnee but after this weekend completely ruined, I don't think we will be back. Giving 2 stars instead of 1 bc we had two pleasant stay before. All in all, I guess it's an ok place to stay as long as u get a rm that u paid for and no problems arise. I won't be taking a chance again here and maybe check out shawnee in next time and enjoy their "heated" pool. Enjoying ice bathing at staybridge pool and be sleep deprived while management happily charges your credit card.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Zepuni
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Zepuni,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the behavior of other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My family and I stayed here during the very busy Presidents week THE STAFF COULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANY LESS ACCOMMODATING. I went to see if they had any blankets, not only would they not bring to my room, they made me come down stairs where the gave me a dirty bed spread. They said it was stained not dirty and they were too busy to come to my room. When I tried to ask nicely if I could speak to a manager and ask for a blanket. He said, " I am the owner, we are busy, if you don't like it, you can leave" I really just wanted a blanket for my daughter.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank aeglacab
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear aeglacab,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We would like to address this with you further. We have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here for three nights to go skiing nearby. With two young boys, we expected the indoor pool to be a big plus. The pool was 62 degrees and much too cold to swim in. The boys tried, but were chilled to the bone quickly and had to be rushed into a hot bath!

One of our rooms had a crack in the outside wall and was freezing. There were no other rooms available and we had to have this repaired. Unfortunately the room remained cold as the fan (which cannot be shut off) only blows outside air. This is true in all the rooms, but when the bed is next to the heating/fan unit, it blows cold air on whoever is in bed trying to sleep or watch TV. The only way to shut off the fan is to shut off the heat itself! UNACCEPTABLE!!!

There is supposed to be daily light housekeeping (a sign in the bathroom says you will get clean towels, trash emptied, and bed made). In one of our rooms this was NEVER even attempted! The housekeeper just asked if we needed towels. In the other room it was done on the 1st day but on the 2nd we had to call and request this service at 3:30 PM. We were told that the hotel was out of towels and that housekeeping was still working as the hotel was full. Sorry, but I stay at hotels every other week for business, and have for almost 20 years, and have NEVER returned to a room at 3:30 PM to find it as I left it! They promised to deliver towels in 10 minutes but when that did not happen I tracked down a housekeeper to get some towels.

The walls here are so thin that I could hear my neighbor talking, hear their TV, and, unfortunately, be awakened at 5:10 AM when their alarm went off! This was right through the wall behind the bed, no connecting door to blame.

All in all, I am sure there are much better choices. Stay away from this poorly run and poorly designed hotel.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. If you are already booked and can't cancel...get a room where the heat...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Caren_H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We would like to obtain some additional information about your experience and have sent you a private message.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to hear from you soon.

Adrian D

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Would stay away..son woke up with bug bites in feb. Pool, ice cold and bathroom by pool splattered with human feeces. Staff unwilling to help or smile. Asking for soap was to much for them.. Smells and feels dirty.

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank ALIBMQ
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Connie D

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We often stay in this area and were looking for accommodations that were close to the PA/NJ border with a kitchenette at a reasonable price and The Staybridge Suites definitely delivered. The suite consisted of a kitchenette, living area with sofa, desk, dresser, king bed and a large bathroom with a vanity area. The cabinets were stocked with many condiments, china, utensils as well as anything that was needed to cook a meal. The refrigerator was larger than the usual mini-fridges and had a freezer unit with an ice-maker. A hot breakfast was provided as well and the hotel gym was great for my morning workout. The front desk staff was very personable and informative, providing a welcoming atmosphere to our weekend stay. I'm a very picky traveler (you can check out my previous reviews as evidence) but I would highly recommend this facility if you plan to stay in the East Pocono area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Fairfield Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville/Poconos
Hampton Inn & Suites Stroudsburg Bartonsville

Been to Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos? Share your experiences!