“Best Getaway Ever”

Rainbow Mountain Resort
Staten Island, New York
“Best Getaway Ever”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were first time guests at your resort last weekend (7/18- 7/20 2014). Although familiar with the area, I never heard about Rainbow Mountain and was a bit leery of the online reviews I read. We booked a cottage because the deluxe king rooms were unavailable. We expected rustic and it was, a bit tiny for 2 bigger guys but was also charming. We heard your story of slowly restoring the buildings which became run down under prior management and can totally appreciate the huge undertaking. I absolutely must commend you on the appearance of your common areas.
But what really needs to be applauded is your staff. Everyone friendly and accommodating. Your chef - Outstanding! My partner is a chef and he thoroughly enjoyed every appetizer and meal served. Your wait staff attentive and polite (Ty , Maria).
Best of all were the other guests. Everyone pleasant and friendly. We met new people and plan to keep in contact. We laughed all weekend. Friends of ours also stayed this weekend and all 4 of us are planning our next visit and bringing additional friends along, inspired by our glowing reviews.
I have family in the area and we will definitely stop in perhaps for dinner or the nightclub the next time we are in the Poconos.
I must thank you for what I would consider to be the best weekend getaway ever. We are anxiously looking forward to our next stay and are planning to attend your next Bear weekend in September.

Well Done! and continued success,

Tom & Steve

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Thomas S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Poison ivy is in way too many places on property. They need to hire a landscaper to get it out of
There. I was told I could have fun around the lake. That is if you can avoid the poison ivy. Tough during the day. Impossible at night. Pool is nice. Place has changed. Not as open to men having
Fun with each other as it used to be. No more Mel's. No more hospitality suite. Gay guys go there
To have fun with other gay guys. I like the Woods campground better. Place itself is nice.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank S42ety
NJ
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I just booked a dinner at the Rainbow Mountain Resort for my 50th birthday. As it turns out, from the 18 invited guests, only 4 were gay and perhaps the best endorsement of the atmosphere of this place is that all 14 of the others (including my parents) LOVED the Rainbow Mountain Resort!

The main building has a lot of character and appears to have weathered whatever changes came its way. The staff accommodated my party at a large diagonal table which allowed us all to interact without feeling penned in. Our servers were efficient and patient and kept us drinking and eating while we yammered away. The food across the board was EXCELLENT. I had been going to the Rainbow Mountain Lodge since the 90s and I don't think the food has ever been better.

After a LONG dinner during which they didn't rush us one iota, we headed down the hill en masse to the nightclub and into the basement for karaoke. I can't imagine a friendlier crowd or a more welcoming atmosphere. It's essentially a barn so it has the feel of a great dive bar downstairs and we just set up camp and hung out. After we thinned out a bit, the rest of us went dancing upstairs and closed the place.

What makes any place special is, of course, partly the location, but more importantly, the staff. While we had a few miscommunications, ultimately the manager assured me that my event wouldn't be a problem and delivered on that in spades. That everyone had such a good time was a testament to his ability to run things and his incredible staff. At one point, the owner came up to me to wish me a "happy birthday" and that really typified the casual vibe of this place. We later saw him downstairs singing and supporting other singers. Next to the intensity of big city gay bars, this is literally and figuratively, a breath of fresh air.

So glad I chose this place for my special occasion!

If taking your 80+ parents to a gay bar is on your bucket list...this is the one.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank SkepticB
Bayside, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Rainbow Mt. has been an important part of my life and that of my husband Will since we first discovered it in the mid nineteen eighties when it was owned and operated by a Lesbian couple. This complex atop Mount Nebo in Marshall's Creek, a stone's throw from the first exit on I-80W past the Delaware Water Gap coming from New York City, was built in stages from the early 1900s. Over the decades since our initial visits, it has changed hands (and chefs) several times. Fortunately, the latest owners, a male couple who like Will and me, started out as guests in the 1980s, have spent the last three years gradually working to restore the neglect that the prior owners bequeathed to them. It is a daunting task that will continue to be a work in progress for a long time to come.

Notwithstanding that caveat, the ambience of RMR as it is known to its many guests, is hard to match for the legions of gay, lesbian, transgender, queer, questioning, cross-dressers and straight friends of people with a variety of sexual orientations who look beyond its obvious physical flaws which are earnestly diminishing under its new management.

There is much to do on campus on the weekends with its themed activities. During the summer season, the pool overlooking the mountains is an ideal retreat from the heat of NY and Philadelphia. We usually go to RMR for the New Year's activities. The package deals include breakfast and dinner, both of which are returning to their glory days as a result of the return of the original chef.

Will and I have fallen into the routine of spending our daytime visiting the outlets at The Crossings off of exit 299 on I-80 West in Tannersville and continuing on from there to Cresco and Mountainhome to Callie's Candy Kitchen and Callie's Pretzel Factory. Free samples to be had at each venue which are only three miles one from the other. If we aren't dropped from shopping and the sugar and salt fixes at Callie's, we wend our way back to RMR on 209 stopping at the Candle Factory to saturate our senses in a variety of aromatic blends and check out any bargains to purchase and have at the ready for any unexpected gift giving during the upcoming new year.

A visit or two to the local flea market and the Odd Lot Discount Store to replenish our supply of gift wrap and other assorted hard to find trinkets and trifles is also de riguer.

This year we took a day trip forty-five minutes away to Easton to release the inner children within us at The Crayola Experience of which I've already written a few days ago on TripAdvisor.

We always look forward to returning to the resort after our daytime activities to take in the karaoke in the Down Low cabaret in campus or put on our dancing shoes in the disco upstairs. The drag shows are also hugely entertaining, especially when the resident manager, Jayson Stout, is in one of these shows. Jayson has been a fixture at Rainbow for a number of years. He is truly an essential asset to both guests and the owners. His people person skills are an important ingredient in what makes the place feel like home.

If you are looking for luxury accommodations in the Poconos you had best look elsewhere, but if you are looking to be a part of "family " to the guests who come there, then I'm confident you will return again and again for more than a peek at the peak of Mt. Nebo.

Room Tip: The deluxe cabins of which there are only six, are motel style and offer the best interns of roomine...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 2842bayside
Irvington NJ
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If your looking for rustic this is it. I had a cabin which was quaint ad quiet. Space was clean only issue is bed comfort but for the rest it was just fine. I will return. Again soon with my partner. The pool was clean, friendly bartenders, just a friendly staff. A great experience!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Asabi D
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and our two guy friends went for a weekend in late summer last year and stayed in the cabins so we could bring our dog. I went to college in the area and always drove past on my way to the flea market (10 years ago) and always say some fabulous gays coming and going and couldn't wait to go there myself one day. After many years living in Miami I finally was back in the area and excited for a trip here. We came here September 14th weekend last year and there were only maybe 10 other guests on the property. It was duck tape costume weekend and my wife and I spent a week making whole outfits out of duct tape. Of course, one guy showed up with nothing more than nude colored tape designed to be a big, erm, "member" and immediately won. To says its predominantly a resort for gay men, not women, would be accurate. However, we enjoyed ourselves immensely and were told they have a ladies weekend so we may come back for that sometime without the dog and try to get a better room. Our cabin was pretty bare, freezing cold, tiny and we refused to take a shower. It was rustic to say the least.

The food is a completely different story. We were blown away. Each day we looked forward to stuffing ourselves with the yummy goodness that comes out of the kitchen. Almost a year later we still comment on that meal.

The service was also 5-star. They were happy to have us and helped us with directions and things to do in the area.

I have to give this place a rating of three only because the room needs improvements and we paid quite a bit for an empty resort with not a great room.

Room Tip: only stay in the cabins if you have a dog. Get a nicer room if you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cassandra S
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place could not have been more disgusting. The first room they tried to put me in had a body pillow thumbtacked to the wall as a head board with a suspicious white stain.... i had to ask for a new room that wasn't much of an improvement. The bowls of condoms and lube are considered decoration...
if you want an adventure... then go. if you want something that meets the standards of a clean human... be aware.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rileyvon
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap

Been to Rainbow Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!