“Great place to stay if your gay.”

Rainbow Mountain Resort
“Great place to stay if your gay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here for Halloween weekend just before Sandy hit. First time here since the new owners took over. I have to say they have done quite a bit of work here. We stayed in one of the cabins. Looks like it was just done over. New carpet and paint,New heater,fresh linens and clean. Very nice. The wait for dinner was not that bad plus the food was good with nice sized portions. The drinks at the niteclub were cheap and strong. New bathrooms here too. Halloween party was very busy .When walking down to the niteclub we saw the new bar area by the pool .It's a big improvement over the old tiny bar that used to be there.The cutting down of the trees and brush along the pool gives a great veiw of the lake. Had a great time, Will be coming back in the summertime

• Stayed October 2012
8 Thank Moto491

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here for a night in September of 2012.
The new owners are incredible, hospitable, go around talking to the customers during meals, which are by the way DELICIOUS. Hats off to the cook, Pam. Best meal I've had since Greece, which was three months ago, and I live in NYC and eat out often so that's saying a lot.
The rooms were big and some have TVs in them. T/he grounds are gorgeous. Great view of the mountains, refreshing air and a very fun dance club and karaoke lounge on the premises with themed parties, comedy shows and the anchor of every evening is Louie, the fabulous karaoke host.
Even just one day here feels like longer.
They welcome all people, couples, anything.
Really awesome place. Great food and entertainment. Worth every penny!

Room Tip: The appetizers at dinner are not to be missed. Mmmhmm the artichokes and eggplant. Yum. And make sur...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Cooper617
Hawthorne, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Excellent Resort. The new owners and their staff are offer personal service and it shows! The food is excellent and included with your stay. Accomodations are good for a mountain resort (recommend the delux) but all are ok. Great place to get away! The pool is huge, they also have a hot tub, gym and club on the premises! There is always entertain on the weekends, great place for both couples and singles. The staff really care and take pride in their workplace. I was totally impressed. For the price they charge, you get ALOT in return. FInd out for yourself, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: The delux rooms have everything. The cabins are great for seclusion
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank JT K
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I first stayed here back in the late 1990's and had a wonderful time so I decided to return with my partner. The place has changed ownership since my first visit. I was happy to find that the quality of food is still as great as I remember it - in fact, the food is probably the single best thing at Rainbow Mountain and it is GREAT. We stayed in one of the small cottages because I thought it was a good way to introduce my partner to camping, without dealing with a tent and still having indoor plumbing. The cottage was cute - however, I can see how some people may have issues with stained carpets and/or furniture. Our cottage could have used some updates and repairs (the shower head was clogged with rust, which we fixed). But, it is a cottage in the woods on a mountain, it isn't a 5-star resort in Dubai - we had a very relaxing, quiet sleep with the windows open - no traffic & no sirens, just katydids & birds. There was nothing about the place which I felt was "dirty" or disgusting - and I'm a germophobe. I think I may have gotten bored if we stayed any longer - 2 nights was perfect. We spent time at the pool, went to the nightclub, played billiards, and even strolled around the pond. I'm glad we went and I hope to go back again maybe next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kayak72
Freehold, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

All in all my experience with Rainbow Mountain was quite enjoyable. The facilities are rather old and rustic but it does add to the charm. For the price of the room and inclusive meals it really can not be beat. The pool is huge with crystal clear water. The way the lounge chairs were situated around the pool allowed one to be come acquainted with fellow guests. The club which was a converted barn had an upstairs disco and a downstairs karaoke lounge. Drink prices were definitely on the moderate side. Now the downsides are that the rooms are in need of updates. While clean for the most part, it was true that the carpet seemed to be dirty. I finally figured that when shampooing the carpet the staff had used too much soap which left the greasy feeling to it. Since it is under new ownership it would be assumed that some type of updates will take place. The restaurant was definitely serving good food but there is the definite possibility that you might have a 45 minute wait until you are seated if you choose a seating during the magic dinner hour of 7. If one is in search of assignations between consenting adults; I noticed that the paths, hot tub area and pool provide many spots where one might meet for a tryst in the early hours of the morning when the bar/club closes. If you keep in mind that at best this is a one star resort with no pretensions than you will be more than happy that you decided to go. I definitely plan on going back in future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I wish I have a lot of good things to say to describe this place, but my experience had been so disappointing. The room where we stayed in was dirty. The room smelled like mold, the carpet had not been shampooed in a long time nor vacuumed for that matter, the bathroom was disgusting, and the shelves were dusty.
Although the food was great, it took a very long time to come. We sat at the table for no less than 2 1/2 hrs.
The pool was nice, but I was a little leery getting in it.
I don't think I'll visit this place again. Perhaps, I'll just go to other gay friendly places to stay for the same amount of money but cleaner, nicer, and better amenities.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Poconoone
Surf City, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I recently stayed here with a group of friends, mix of gay and straight for a long weekend. We rented a few of the cottages with inclusive meals. Upon check-in we were greeted by a friendly front desk staff and given the keys to our rooms.. and that is where the problems began. The room we stayed in had the dirtiest carpet I have ever seen in a hotel room in the U.S. The tub was brown and had cigarette burns in the shower walls. It was a HUGE bummer to have to spend the weekend wearing flip flops at all times in our hotel room including the shower. There was a thick coating of dust on all of the furniture and the room smelled like mold. For $250 per night, the condition of the room was unacceptable. In this day and age it is hard to imagine that this could be the case, but trust me it is and if you stay here you will find out for yourself.
Next problem was the restaurant.. we had inclusive meals for the weekend and ate there twice for breakfast and twice for dinner. The food was actually quite good.. they had a mix of steak, seafood, nice appetizers, etc.. Unfortunately the service and time spent waiting was horrible. Dinner both nights took no less then 3 hours and about an hour's time went by between courses. appetizer (wait an hour) salad course (wait another hour) and then dinner. It appeared that each server was their own host, server, bar tender, food runner, etc.. and it was very clear that there was no restaurant manager so the service was not efficient or coordinated. The first night for dinner that took 3 hours it was easy to forgive because the food was good but two nights in a row taking 3+ hours for a dinner was ridiculous and a huge let down.
A couple positives to end with... the pool was nice and the nightclub / bar was good. Drinks were reasonably priced and the surrounding area is beautiful with views of the mountains.
Unfortunately the negatives far outweigh the positives and I still would never stay here again and would not recommend to others.

Room Tip: be sure and bring flip flops if staying here. They will be needed for the shower and to walk on the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MarcLong
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,984 reviews

Been to Rainbow Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!