“Wouldn't stay at Rainbow Mtn. if it was free, or you paid me!”

Rainbow Mountain Resort
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I wish I had better news to report... My gf and I went up to Rainbow Mountain last weekend with a pair of close friends anticipating a lovely getaway where we could just "be ourselves", have some fun in the sun, and enjoy the beautiful natural environment. In theory, Rainbow Mountain should be wonderful. However, we had an atrocious experience there.

Everything was dirty from the pool (filled with flies, mosquitoes, bees since it doesn't have a pool filter) to the lodge. I am not the most high-maintenance of women, but everything was absolutely substandard. The waitstaff took forever to first seat us, then for our food took 50 minutes to come out once we placed our order and was cold, and our order was placed incorrectly. Now I understand that they had one waiter for several tables, but even as the place cleared out, the service was slow. I couldn't believe how many things went wrong in the brief time we were there. (On a happy note: the manager was lovely and attentive--however, there really was no saving the experience)

Needless to say, there was no way we were going to stay there in the frightening looking shacks they have on site. We stayed at the nearby Shawnee Inn instead, which was pleasant, clean, and quaint. I have been everywhere from motels to 5 star resorts/timeshares, and had yet to experience something as awful as what we dealt with at Rainbow Mountain. The only thing I can walk away with from there that is positive is the wonderful company I was with. Please, spare yourself and your partner/friends---if you want a getaway, stay away from Rainbow Mountain!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dulcinenadee

Reviewed July 13, 2011

THis resort used to be my favorite place, but 12 years ago it changed ownership and lost it's way. A few months ago it was sold to a couple who vacationed here for 20 years and they have brought it back to life. We stayed in July and had a great time. There was entertainment in the dance club and music videos on the dance floor. The new lounge had Karaoke and the olympic sized pool was packed with people. They even had a Sunday t-dance party with a DJ by ther pool. THe food was great and everyone was so friendly. I plan on going back soon.

Room Tip: ask for the free night. If you stay the weekend, they add a night free.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jaci7585
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I have vacationed there for five years now. I just got home as a matter of fact. I am female and have no problems getting service and the menu has something for everyone and they will accommodate you if you have food allergies like me. They really do treat everyone like family, it is laid back and everyone is friendly and knows how to have a good time. The rooms are clean but do need to be updated however the dirty dancing feel is intriguing and has a romance about it. I just found out while there that there are new owners; they have been updating what needs to be. I actually didn’t recognize the down stairs bar in the night club at all. I can’t wait to see what changes come for my next summer vacation!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank SusanW1977
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We traveled to Rainbow Mountain for a weekend with friends. While I thought it was expensive for a rustic place, I figured the cost included breakfast and dinner so it might be worth the cost. After spending a weekend there, I would say it is not worth the price. First of all, the rooms were a huge disappointment. They are old and run down. The bathroom had rust stained fixtures and mold in the shower stall. Awful! The food was okay but the whole package was hardly worth the cost.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelingbeachbum00
Reviewed November 30, 2010

My partner and I stayed here in October. We traveled to NY for business and decided to stay here on the way home. I stupidly booked 2 nights prior to getting there and seeing what it was like. We were charged for a "Theme Weekend" yet there was NO THEME whatsoever. There were very creepy guests who took over the resort and the staff catered to their every needs pretty much forgetting about other guests.
I was really looking forward to this trip and was incredibly disappointed. They state on their website that they are "rustic" but "charming". There was nothing charming about hair and rust in the showers that were filthy. The towels and sheets were stained and looked terrible. We were unable to get our money back and were ignored when we inquired about it.
Although we were there in the fall and expected fewer guests, I expected better service. The food was good, but there were numerous meals that we had to pay additional for as the room price did not cover it. And they ran out of some food as mentioned by another guest. Wings could easily have been purchased from a local store.
The bar was a disaster. The karaoke was not working and it took them over an hour to figure it out. The drinks were OVERPRICED for the drop of alcohol that the bartender put in them.
I looked forward to this stay for several years and was disappointed with every aspect. I would never recommend anyone stay here.
The theme weekend when we were there was a joke and we should have been reimbursed. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 2GirlsAndaJeep
Reviewed September 1, 2009

WE stayed at Rainbow Mtn mid-week in July. The staff was friendly.
The grounds and the accomodations leave something to be desired, but I wouldn't let it deter me from staying there, because it is affordable, the meals are pretty good (not great) and everyone is so nice. You can truly relax. One of our dispappointments was that there were several things on the menu that they ran out of--- things that could easily be bought at the local supermarket until their usual deliveries arrived-- like cheese and eggs. One morning they had no eggs for breakfast! The pool is the best part, it is clean. We watched as one of the workers scrubbed the entire perimeter of the pool on his hands and knees with a scrubber and comet. The grounds need serious attention. Nowadays, people are accustomed to seeing beautiful grounds and landscaping and that seemed lacking. LIke I said, it is affordable so we'd definitely return, though it is not perfection.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
#1 of 4 in Shawnee on Delaware

Been to Rainbow Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!