“Great Amish Buffet”

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Great Amish Buffet

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Write a ReviewReviews (2,160)

Reviewed April 24, 2009

Food, food, and more food! What a selection, there are so many items that its hard to make a choice. Besides the Buffet which must be more than 1000 foot long, they also have four grills going for dinner cooking up steaks, fish, burgers, sausage, and other specialities. The quality of the food is very good and some of it is Pennsylvania Dutch which is a nice added touch since Shady Maple is located in the Lancaster Area where the Amish live. It is a great place to stop after a long day of sightseeing. The restaurant is huge and if you have young children I recommend that you accompany them to the Buffet area so they don't get lost. They menu varies day to day and so do the prices so it might help to call or go on line to review the menu. You won't be disappointed and you will definitely leave stuffed. The restaurant is very clean and family oriented. Also please note that it is closed on Sundays so the staff can attend Church Services.

Reviewed January 2, 2009

We went to the restaurant during the week between Christmas and New Years, on a Tuesday for lunch 41.00 for four people and included the drink, Fried Chicken was good, kids liked the slushee machine and the dessert bar, I liked the pulled pork and roast beef, dont make that much at home, also the fact that it was buffet not home style where you eat with other people at the table, so that was a factor on our choice to eat there, we thought the restaurant was well staffed and even though it was extremely crowded the food was stocked and the lines moved fast.

Reviewed December 6, 2008

We have been to this restaurant many times over the years .As a matter of fact this is our first stop before we drive to Lancaster for outlet shopping.This is where the locals eat so you know there is a reason for that.We had lunch/dinner on Saturday Dec. 6 at a cost of $18.00per person including tax and tip.It's a smorgasbord which we prefer over the "family style dining" that many other area restaurants offer.It makes me wonder if those restaurants re-serve your left overs to the next people who order seconds.Shady Maple is Pa.Dutch style cooking.Yes,they do have a few canned items like some of the veggies but hey I'm an adult and I don't have to eat them if I don't want to.They had all four grills fired up with a variety of meats.The steaks were tender.They also had grilled salmon and other seafood choices.Typical fried chicken,pork and saurkraut,bar b que pork shredded ,roast beef in gravy,turkey,ham and chicken crouquettes.There is so much food I can't fit it all in this review..Mashed potatoes,buttered dutch noodles and lima beans in a tomato bacon based sauce that is so good .There is so much food that you won't leave hungry.The salad bar has a large variety of fresh greens and "deli style" salads and two soups.All the breads,rolls and dessert items are made there or at their store which is located at the other end of the parking lot.Give this place a try.It's a decent place at a fair price and it's clean!!!!Give your waitress a few dollars even though it's included at 8%.They work so hard and are very grateful for the extra $$$.Go and enjoy the experience of Shady Maple dining.

1  Thank JerseyShoreGal57
Reviewed December 2, 2008

This is an amazing facility, capacity of 2,000+ patrons. Very well run. There are some comments out there saying that all the food is made from scratch; this is not true. We were there for lunch on a Saturday. It seems like lunch is the slowest meal of the day. One of the hosts told us they had been full for breakfast with a line waiting to get in.
Salads and most of side dishes we tried were very good. A steak I had from the grill was mostly inedible--- fat and gristle. The grilled flounder was very good. The pork and sauerkraut, pot roast, and fried chicken were all very good. The rolls looked homemade. All the condiments (butter, dressings, etc.) were first rate. In my opinion, you can skip the desserts. They looked "store bought" and the main dishes and side dishes are better and will fill you up.
It's a little expensive; I think it was $15.95 each + gratuity (added on the check) + tax. There's a gigantic gift shop downstairs with some very nice things (probably a little more than you'd pay elsewhere); don't even go down there unless you have at least an hour to shop.
Even though we enjoyed our meal, I probably will not return to Shady Maple. There are so many other smorgasbords/buffet restaurants in the area so if I go back I'll probably try some of them.