“Incredible Experience”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet
Buckley
“Incredible Experience”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I hardly know where to start. We were visiting family in Reading and I wanted to visit the Amish countryside. Family decided on dinner at Shady Maple Smorgasbord. We started with a visit to lower level of the building which is the largest souvenir store I've every been in. At first I was a little disappointed because most everything I looked at was not even made in the US, let alone by the Amish. Then I found the Amish quilts - it was love at first sight. We made our way to the smorgasbord where we were greeted by an incredibly friendly hostess. The decor was beautiful. There was plenty of comfortable seating. The food was plentiful and absolutely delicious. It was quite busy and I found it a little difficult to move around the buffet tables at times. But my goodness, the food was just delicious. Lots of good country style cooking, particularly the desserts. It was a little high priced, but the experience was worth every penny. And really, how many restaurants have a horse and buggy parking garage - delightful.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank JudyBuckley

• Arabic first
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
“Food Mania”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Shady Maple is a smorgasbord so be prepared to sample LOTS of food. Located in Lancaster county, it offers Pennsylvania Dutch foods along with regular foods. The salad bar is large and constantly refilled. There are plenty of meats, hot vegetables and potatoes/pasta for you to choose from. The dessert area offers cakes, pies, cobblers, fresh fruit, jello, pudding, ice cream with toppings, and more. Daily are specials so check their website. They can accommodate large groups or couples. The gift shop downstairs is wonderful. They are closed Sundays. They offer breakfast, lunch and dinner. Shady Maple also offers a free visit on your birthday but be sure to have your drivers license or proof of birth date. It also offers adult, senior and child pricing. This place is one of my favorite "destinations".

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank MrsBee73
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
“Don't avoid - just because it's a smorgasbord”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I confess: we usually avoid smorgasbord restaurants - just because, well, there are too many choices and we overeat. But, some good friends treated us the other day. It was our first time at Shady Maple in, maybe 10-15 years. The selection was huge: maybe two dozen vegetable sides, nice salad bar, lots of entrees seafood, prime rib, etc.), plenty of "comfort food" (I had to have a serving of mac-and-cheese mixed with baked beans - no franks, unfortunately), and dozens of dessert choices. It's a smorgasbord, not fine dining, but ... the food was very good. If we go back, we would opt for a booth rather than the open tables. If you can exercise some self-control, this is a smorgasbord I can recommend. [PS - I like a splash of horseradish on the prime rib, and this horseradish was especially live!]

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Kent K
Corinna, Maine
“Love this place!!!”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Really, really excellent food! I've been here several times and it's wonderful every time. A lot to choose from. Good salad bar too! Highly recommended!!

Staten Island, New York
“Another excellent restaurant”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have no words to describe how delicious "Shady Maple" is. This is another restaurant we cannot skip when we come to Lancaster. The place is just amazing. My only complaint is the prices. Wow they are high, but it's like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" :) and boy oh boy do you get ALOT!! Everything is amazing. From the fish, to the potatoes, veggies, mac and cheese, diverse amounts of desserts, I can go on and on. Then after your done eating, I recommend the gift shop downstairs, another great place to shop. We love Shady Maple!!!!!

Visited April 2014