“Wonderful Selections”

Shady Maple Smorgasbord
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in East Earl
Cuisines: American, Dutch
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
East Petersburg, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Selections”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Of all the places in Lancaster County to go to eat, this is the one you want to make sure is on your MUST stop in list. Every night is a different selection of "main" dishes on the 4 different made to order stations. The longest and best selection of sides, salads, soups, breads, desserts as well as entrees I have ever seen. The price you pay going in is all inclusive, you pay nothing more after that. (yes, drinks and tip included) Drop in on your birthday for a free meal unless it is on a Sunday and then come in on the Monday after for your free meal. We prefer Friday nights as that is a combination of seafood and steaks. I have a soft spot for the cajun catfish. Tuesday night is the most expensive with it being purely seafood but the selection makes it well worth the price.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank susieQ192

• Arabic first
Denver, Pennsylvania
“Quantity vs quality”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Had not been here for a couple of years but went for dinner. If you want to pig out and eat quantity this is the place to go. Steak night? Paper thin, plenty of fat and very little taste. I guess if you are a hungry tourist on a bus trip it will satisfy.
Very nice building and surroundings and they do try hard but I thought that for the money it was not a place I would return any time soon. Other choices in area are better ie Bird In Hand Rest. and their buffet for one.
I think it is better for breakfast; at least when I had that it was good.

Advance, North Carolina
“200 ft. of delicious food!”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Shady Maple had the very best food we ate during our 4-day trip to the Amish Country. Everything we ate was tasty, fresh, expertly prepared and pleasing to the palate. There was one item on the buffet that I had never eaten, so I had to try it - pork and kraut. I have to say - yuck! I'm sure it was prepared properly, but the combination was not so good. However, the other 25+ things I tried were great! I especially enjoyed fried oysters, fried clams, and mussles. The dessert bar was to die for with 2 great ice cream machines to top off the variety of cakes and pies. They have a very nice coffee station, with a good selection of flavored creams. I could go on and on about the delicious food, but I think you get my drift. I absolutely loved eating here and to top off a great night of over-eating, there was a 40,000 sq. ft. gift shop on the bottom floor of the building! Even though I could hardly walk from eating so much food, I managed to shop for an hour or so. There was everything you can imagine for sale downstairs from quilts to canned goods and everything in between. Don't leave the Amish Country without visiting Shady Maple!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Vacationermom
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
“Mother's Day Meal”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have been letdown by Shady Maple. This was my second visit and I was less than thrilled with this one. I wanted to take my mother out for a pre Mother's Day meal and I brought my father along to partake in a free meal. The drive to Shady Maple is so picturesque with many Amish sites and many times passing them riding in their buggies and working their farms! It is such a calming sight to see away from city/highway traffic and driving. Once I got my parents to Shady Maple the staff had quite a crowd from people that were coming from shopping and theatric shows in the area. The Shady Maple staff handled the lines of people waiting to get seated with professionalism. Once we were seated though, the food was another matter entirely. Shady Maple is a smorgasbord style of eating where you can get almost any kind of food you want, American, Chinese, Italian, etc. My parents got baked salmon and it was water-logged. I had some seafood croquets and they tasted like cooked cardboard balls. EW! I went back and had the fried shrimp (which were tasty), mac-n-cheese (which was pasty and dry) and string beans (which were too stiff)! I am a big dessert guy so I went back for the dessert and had a slice of Boston cream pie (horrible), a slice of vanilla cake (tasteless) and a slice of chocolate mousse pie (which was pretty good). I was disappointed that so many choices were either undercooked or missing tastes. The first time I went to Shady Maple with my wife it was way better!! I will mark this visit up as a one time failure and hopefully the next time I go back it will be up to par again!

1 Thank Andrew J
McMurray, Pennsylvania
“Prime Rib Night Is the BEST!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

This was my second visit to Shady Maple. We sure picked the right night as prime rib was the main feature! It was absolutely perfect. I started my meal with a huge slab since I knew that if I went through the buffet first, I would fill up on the other goodies offered. I love that there is one price with tax and gratuity all paid up front. Although there are many people in this huge facility, there seems to be no waiting in the food lines and they just keep the food coming. The desserts were fabulous as usual. They have sugar free desserts (look for the green plates). My favorite is always the apple dumplings and pecan pie. After dinner, stop downstairs to enjoy a huge shopping area filled with collectibles and other neat stuff. A trip to Lancaster would be incomplete without stopping at the Shady Maple.