“If you build it, they will come...”

Shady Maple Smorgasbord
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in East Earl
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The Shady Maple is a magnet for locals and tourists alike. Set in the midst of Amish farmland and countryside, it is situated on top of a hill with a view for miles. The food is traditional Pennsylvania Dutch, and plenty of it. This is the largest restaurant/smorgasbord I have ever visited, and the place seats hundreds of people. The sheer size of it is impressive. Add to that the delicious food, with daily specials, keeps people coming back for more and more and more! There are plenty of choices for vegans and carnivores, anything from fresh vegetables from down the road, to delicious hams, chicken and steaks. This is a very family friendly restaurant, and a great place to bring a group, but do not expect an intimate dining experience. The rooms are large, and consist of rows of tables and chairs, along with large round chairs for groups. Please note that you do serve yourself, and for those impaired guests, assistance would be needed. Great place and friendly employees make it worth remembering.

2  Thank Karen G
Write a ReviewReviews (2,113)

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Overall, I can't think of a better place to go to enjoy my Birthday, Anniversary, or any other special occasion since it is a 70 mile drive for us but ALWAYS worth it. They have great food at a great quantity and quality. They have a specialized theme each night and have carving and skillet stations. This can be a very very busy place especially on Saturdays but the lines waiting to pay and be seated move quickly. I have been there numerous times and I have never been disappointed. Be sure to check their website for seating/serving times and for the nightly specials. They are closed Sundays. I read some of the other reviews and to be honest, I have eaten at other restaurants that have buffet and menu choices and price wise you can't beat it. The help can be friendly or not but I tend to look at how busy it is and how hurried I may have been. That tends to weigh on the friendliness of customers as well as staff. As for the waiting time, I have gone to some of the chain restaurants and had to wait 45-75 minutes for a table and then another 30 minutes for my food and only one serving for the $40 price. As for the drive, as I said it is 70 miles for me but a beautiful drive via Lancaster County.

1  Thank DARLENE O
Reviewed January 14, 2014

A typical eyes are bigger than your stomach type that has a mass buffet almost as large as a football field. We live here in PA and have never ventured. So on a rainy day in January we took the kids.
Its a very expansive dining experience thats a destination for many. Lots of hot food and so many choices. What interested me the most was the local dishes of buttered cabbage, bbq baked lima beans and amish cheeses. They even had shoe fly pie.
Its a good place to try out. There is only a limit to when your stomach says enough but everyone had fun trying new items and flavors.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

They use "Amish" for its sales appeal. This place is huge, and they have a vast selection of excellent food, and everything is well-organized. They crow about their very friendly staff, but we found it just the opposite. They took care of us, but not with a smile. It's a good meal for a good price, but you are among a herd of faceless people. But it was an interesting experience.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Shady Maple is all that its advertised to be... Very large, infinite choices, great food quality etc... They are leagues ahead of the competition say someone like a golden corrall; however, a few things stand out as glaring dents in this juggernauts armor... Coming from DE there is no way we would of navigated the never-ending sea of back roads PA has to offer without our trusty dusty gps so, location, location, location is the first. The next thing is the price, $40 for two people is slightly overpriced considering the competition all be it inferior comp but comp none the less is basically half that price. So it leaves us with the ?, do we settle for the cheaper,closer, less than buffet or do we strap in for the 1.5 hour trip and forgo gas in your car for the next upcoming week. The choice is yours. Just an fyi, we would choose Shady Maple everytime... Who needs to get to work...lol