“I couldn't get past the smell...”

Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunmore
Connecticut
“I couldn't get past the smell...”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I needed a place to stay in the Scranton area very last-minute. Other reviewers steered me to choose Sleep Inn over Quality Inn, located close by. It would have been difficult to find, but thanks to previous reviews, I knew to drive behind the shopping center. The good: the room was nicer than I expected it to be, and the bathroom fixtures looked new. The sink/counter ran the entire length of the bathroom, providing a luxurious amount of space for both hubby and me to lay out our toiletries without fighting for counter real estate. The lighting was decent. The A/C worked great. The complimentary breakfast was the usual fare. Front desk staff were friendly. Plenty of parking. Now the bad: 2nd floor hallway was musty, but that didn't bother me. What did was the cleaning/disinfectant smell that hit me the moment I walked in the room. Even with the A/C running all night, it never dissipated, and I never habituated to it. It was too late at night to start asking for another room -- and not worth the effort of moving if that smell was going to be everywhere. Another major negative: hair on the bathroom counter and IN the bed. Hubby was totally grossed out by this. Otherwise the bathroom LOOKED clean, and the sheets LOOKED like they were fresh and the bed was made, so I will charitably say that the housekeeper needs to tie her hair back. Another problem, and management should take note: Room 220 -- the toilet fixture is loose! It needs to be anchored better to the floor. And the positioning of the toilet paper roll is the most inconvenient I have ever experienced anywhere -- I'm sure many people would find it impossible to reach. Sad to say, I would not choose this place again unless I could not find another room anywhere in the Scranton area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank timetocruise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here to break up our trip and it turned out to be a great choice, the hotel was quiet, the beds were comfortable, the rooms and hotel were clean and the best part was that the staff was friendly from check in to breakfast, etc. great experience!

• Stayed May 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We left three jackets in the room when we left. A couple of days later, we contacted the hotel (they did not attempt to reach us) and asked for the jackets back. Of the three, they sent back one. Presumably someone on the hotel staff stole the other two. The management did not make an attempt to recover the stolen jackets, which were fairly nice Marmot brand shells. BEWARE!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel was recently upgraded and is in excellent condition. It has all the facilities one can wish for, the personnel was super friendly, they even upgraded us to move us away from a group of celebrating young teenagers. The place is exceptionnaly clean.
On the downside, whereas you can easily spot the hotel from the highway, finding the little sign pointing at the entrance requires some luck coupled with good eyesight......don't give up as that place is well worth the effort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here in May of 2012 for my son's AAU basketball tournament. Being a CHOICE Privilege Member, we wanted to stay with one of their hotels. We were a little nervous about a "Sleep Inn" but really liked the way it looked on line. The staff on the phone was friendly and reserved our room quickly and professionally. When we arrived we were warmly greeted and check-in time was super fast. Our rooms were beautiful. We could tell the hotel had been recently renovated and they did a fantastic job. Our rooms were spacious, very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a nice size and the shower was immaculate. We were there with our team and asked if we could order pizzas and eat in the breakfast area if we promised to clean up. Staff was more than accommodating and even helped us clean up. Breakfast was served on time and was good. Overall we were very pleased with our stay. It is a bit awkward to get to...you can clearly see the sign from the road, it's just actually getting to it that is a bit tricky. Other than that, everything was great and I'm excited to stay in another Sleep Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelinQueen777
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

I was here on a 2 day stay with my hubby after experiencing a trip interruption on the way to NY. The room was clean but I did notice a plastic fork (very visible) on the floor by the bed that was left behind by previous guests and obviously housekeeping overlooked it.Other than that, the room was clean.
The shower pressure definitely needs to be adjusted. It almost feels like a sprinkle it was so weak.
After a trip interruption my husband and I booked a flight back home. Initially we were told that the complimentary shuttle would not be running and offered a number to a resident of the hotel. We were later called and told the complimentary shuttle would take us to the airport instead of us paying a taxi. I was impressed with the customer service.
The breakfast was pretty good. They had your typical items, muffins, waffles, sausage etc.
The hotel is in a rather odd location, however its with walking distance to a few eateries as well as a Price Chopper grocery store. Overall, I had a pretty good experience and would definitely utilize this hotel again if in the area.

• Stayed March 2013
Beattyville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 27, 2013

First, let's get the negatives out of the way. The hotel is located in an industrial area and has right-in, right-out access to Rt. 347. However, you can enter and exit via a traffic light at an adjacent shopping center and the area is definitely not unsafe by any means.

Water pressure in the shower was average at best. I've stayed in places that were worse (like the Comfort Inn in Goshen, NY the night prior) but I've also stayed in places that were a lot like home (Red Roof in Huntington, WV the night after).

Getting past that, this was a very nice hotel. The room was clean and comfortable, equipped with a fridge and microwave. Wi-fi was of adequate and average speed. Breakfast was not bad. Service was efficient. Plenty of parking is available. Plenty of shopping and dining two exits up i-81.

I have to say that the shower was oddly configured. The hotel room looks like a typical Sleep Inn room, with the round-cornered shower sticking out into the main portion of the room, but the shower stall itself did not have a curtain. The design was such that the showerhead was recessed into a diagonal "crook" in the shower and a curtain was not necessary.

The night I was there, there was a group of teenage girls also staying. A sports team of some description, I suppose. They acted like normal teenage girls but were not disruptive at all. Glad I got to the breakfast bar before they all descended on it near the end of breakfast hours.

I chose not to stay at the nearby Quality Inn based on reviews here on TA, opting instead to spend a little more money to stay here, again based on the reviews. I can understand why this property is so highly rated. I took points off for the location and the water pressure, but if you want a bright, clean and comfy room, this place fits the bill.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SleepInnDunmore_PA, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for the kind and informational review! We hope to have you back soon and I will be looking into the shower pressure issue! Thank you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunmore
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Four Points by Sheraton Scranton
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore? Share your experiences!