“Pricey but very good”

The Meating House
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Drums
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A unique steakhouse with "Old World" charm and comfort. We offer a full bar with a Call liquor well and popular microbrews available.
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
“Pricey but very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Good food, quaint building. Comfortable atmosphere. Good selection of items and high quality of ingredients.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank clampet79

Drums, Pennsylvania
“worst service ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

OK, we moved to the area a couple of years ago, and we found the Meating House quite good. Not any more. The last 2 times the service was horrible as noted in other reviews. The last time ( and this was the straw the broke the camel's back) it was completly rude. I ordered my steak medium rare. It arrived med well to well. When I told the waitress this, she promptly called over the owner who said it WAS medium rare. I told her that grey is not med rare. She then said the steak was not of uniform thickness and the thicker sid was medium rare! She refused to cook a new steak for me and would not take it off the bill. She said that she would pack it up for us, but if not, the kitchen staff would have it for dinner. Needless to say, we will never go back. Oh yes the food. Poor because of they can't cook a steak right. My wife's Filet was also overcooked. (ordered med, got med well and well.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank Quiet_Mike_11
“Lacks in service and food is high”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

The waiter made our dining experience very unpleasant. He was not very customer friendly, we had to ask for refill and very hard to understand. The waitress was totally opposite. Food was high but was we were not impressed.

2 Thank eheabel
North Carolina
“Rude Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

We had the same type of experience as the 2 reviews below: rude staff, long wait, food not cooked as requested.
We arrived in time for the early bird specials. We waited over an hour for our food. No one ever came by the table to apologize for the wait or ask if we needed anything. The only reason we stayed is because we had a gift certificate which was about to expire.
We noticed all the other tables who came in after us or ordered after us, being served before us. They were already gone by the time we were finished eating.
When we received our bill, we were charged the full price of the entree and not the early bird price, which was about $8 less. When we asked the waitress about it, she said that's not what we ordered, and you are suppose to specify that you want the early bird dinner, because it's a smaller portion. We told her having never been there before, we didn't know that and just figured it was assumed because it was early bird time. We also complained about the hour + wait time and her response was "well, I'm sorry but we were busy".
She grew rude and irritated with us and then took our bill to someone who we think was a manager although certainly didn't act like one. This woman came over to our table and asked "what seems to be the problem?" My husband again tried explaining that he ordered the early special and was being charged $8 more. Her response was the same: we didn't specify what we wanted. I asked having never been there before, how are we suppose to know that? She then said the early bird dinner comes with 2 sides, the regular entree comes with 3". The waitress never told us this and although we did receive 3 sides, when placing the order she only asked "what kind of potato would you like?" and then "what kind of dressing on your salad?". So we paid an extra $8 for a spoonful of mixed vegetables that were cold and didn't even know we were getting in the first place.
We also told this "manager" that the steak was ordered medium ("steak" was actually a chopped up hamburger) but was served well-done. I even showed it to her because we had it in a to go box to bring home to our dog. She had no response.
We also told her we had to wait over an hour for our food - she again said that they were busy. What kind of response is this from a manager of restaurant?! They were not busy,they were short-staffed. I pointed out that the table next to us and behind us came in after us and ordered after us, and were both served their food and already gone. She then said "well it depends what you order". I told her the table behind us ordered appetizers, salads, and entrees and all were served to them before we even got our food. She again had no response. Just a simple and rude "sorry, that's just the way it is".
This so called manager continued arguing with us in front of other customers until I finally said "whatever, just give us the bill, we won't ever be back here". She said sarcastically "ok". Needless to say, we did not leave a tip. Having been a waitress at a fine dining restaurant and waitressing at other restaurants all through college, this is not something I ever do. I always leave at minimum 20%, but the way we were treated by everyone there and the service we received was the worst I have ever experienced.
As we walked out the door, the woman came out after us and said "that was just rude - don't ever come back here".
We are not planning on it.

• Visited May 2011
4 Thank toesinthesand33
Drums, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I was told "Do not come back"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

BEWARE this place does not know what good customer service is. I am a customer and yet they told me i was wrong?! That is a big no no....and then i was followed out of the restaurant and was told "please don't come back". This place is unreal...the food took forever to come out and trust me it was not worth the wait. The food sucked and was not even cooked properly. WAYYYYYYY over priced. You'd be better off eating at the gas station across the road!!!!!

• Visited May 2011