“It gets the job done”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Drums
Prattville, Alabama
“It gets the job done”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Not as well appointed as some newer/larger Holiday Inn Expresses..roomy, but no mini-fridge, microwave, or work desk (though the double queen room we stayed in did have two chairs and table). Shower water constantly changes temp without moving control knob…and not a little either…it will go from scalding hot to freezing cold in an instant. This is a safety hazard if you think you're going to have your kid take a shower without constant supervision/temp adjustment. Main living area lacks adequate lighting with just two click lamps. Not sure how there are still hotels that allow smoking inside…while our non-smoking room was fine, the hallways do smell of smoke since there is really no way of preventing those smells from exiting smoking rooms. If arriving around dinnertime…definitely stop to eat beforehand. As other reviews have mentioned, there is really nothing out here at all.

The good? While rooms may lack amenities, they are well kept and clean. Staff was fantastic. Daily housekeeping fantastic. Pretty solid choice for a place to spend a couple nights if you're in town for events at Pocono Raceway…the hotel is right off I-80, so it is an easy 30-min drive right down the interstate to the track. In fact, one of the IndyCar teams and their driver was staying at the hotel…which was kinda cool chatting with them at breakfast. Though secluded…area is pretty safe/secure/quiet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear SRacer74,

Thank you for staying and taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am delighted that you found our location and staff commendable.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the room assigned to you especially with the lighting and shower heater. Your feedback is highly appreciated and rest assured that we will use them to consider upgrading where possible.

Once again, thank you for staying and I hope that we get another chance to provide you with a more satisfying stay in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed at the hotel. While passing thru from Maine to Tennessee . The hotel room was clean and spacious .Hotel was booked up and never heard anybody in hallway or adjacent rooms so the hotel must be well build for noise abatement . The breakfast area was large and plenty of available food. The location from I-81 was a bit tricky coming from the north on I-81. I'd recommend getting off on I-80 and going East 2 miles coming from North or South no matter what your GPS routes you. This is much quicker and safer to this destination.

Room Tip: No problem with any room location because this hotel is away from any major interstate traffic.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Benton, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Not much in the area but this hotel is well kept. Clean and good staff. May have to travel to find some good restaurants but no complaints as to how this facility is ran. Better than many Holiday Inn Expresses I have stayed before.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Marietta, Ohio
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I was looking for something a little closer to wilkes barre but they were all overpriced I happened upon this motel and Im glad I did...right off of interstate easy to get to on a private drive...separate lot for semi parking near hotel not 1/2 mile away like some places..I arrived around 2:00 pm for a 10 hour stay girl at check in was great thanked me for being a platinum member gave me aroom on the top like I wanted..great price..room was big,clean well lit..shower and bathroom were spotless...only minor complaint the mattress wasnt quite as soft as most other HIE's but it wasnt bad as some ...all in all this place is great..I checked out shortly after midnight and had a fresh pot of coffee waiting on me...if Im ever back in this area I will return, guaranteed..

Room Tip: top floor was nice and quiet ..great for a day sleeper
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The rooms are fine and the people are nice. A little light on the HD Tv channels but some. Those are 3 of the 4 things I look for in a business room, especially when I staying in some of the less urban areas of Pa. Unfortunately, the WIFI is bad, bad, bad. It continually disconnects and every time I open my IPAD I have to log back in. Very annoying.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Billzebub,

Thank you for your the feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate you highlighting both positive and negative aspects of your stay. We are glad you liked the rooms and the friendly staff. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had with the WiFi connectivity. We will certainly look into this to make sure similar situations can be avoided. We hope that if your travels bring you back to our area you would give us another opportunity to provide the excellent accommodations you were expecting.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This was a very nice property and they easily accommodated my last minute call that I was going to be extremely late checking in. I think my SatNav was fritzing out because, while you can see the Interstate from the hotel, I was routed through all sorts of forests and switchbacks and none of the intersections had any sort of indicator for the HIE. Making it more confusing, there WERE a lot of markers for the EconoLodge, even though that didn't seem to be nearby. Anyhow, once I managed to get there, everything was great. The room was huge, the internet worked well, and the breakfast was good (nothing out of the ordinary -- if you've ever stayed at one of these, the breakfast is EXACTLY the same). Still, it's free; who's complaining. If you can find it, it's worth it.

Room Tip: I'm not sure why, but it was a bit hard to find. Just keep driving if your GPS takes you some cr...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Ocean City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed here to visit a family member as we were having a surprise 50th birthday. We were very happy, rooms were clean, ammenities are free apples, cookies, really nice breakfast bar. The hotel is really clean & the staff were attentive and friendly. Would definetly go back here in a minute! Our room was on the first floor corner and it was spacious & the beds were comfortable. My Mom is handicap, handicap parking is next to the door, wheelchair accessibility right next to the door. halls were spacious for a wheelchair & the area was quiet. very nice

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drums
Candlewood Suites Hazleton
Ramada Hazleton
Ramada Hazleton
#6 of 8 in Hazleton
Red Roof Inn & Suites Hazleton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Drums-Hazelton? Share your experiences!