“Amazing Italian Experience”

Altomonte's Italian Market
Ranked #2 of 138 Restaurants in Doylestown
Cuisines: Italian, Delicatessen
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Amazing Italian Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Don't be fooled by the outside appearance of this place. Once you open the doors, you are transported into a giant Italian market. The never-ending deli counter begins with unbelievably tasty desserts, followed by a traditional deli stand and ends with a made to order sandwich station. The dessert prices are a bit high, but once you take a bite you will understand why. Anything you can possibly need for an Italian meal can be found here. If you need a party catered with Italian food, do not hesitate to go here. The staff is great, friendly and very accommodating.

The only thing that this place doesn't have is seating to eat-in. Outside of that, this place is perfection.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Art F

Pennsylvania
“Mamma Mia - I'm Back in New York!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Somethings from your childhood just never leave you - like the local NY Trattoria or your favorite corner Italian bakery. Whenever one of my relatives visited from NY, the price of admission was a box of Pignoli cookies and a real NY Deli rare roast beef hero (hoagie to us) with butter, salt & pepper on that NY bread (NY bread is unlike any other - they say it is the water). Well, thanks to Altomonte's, I can get more than a few of my favorite things right here in Doylestown or their anchor store in Warrington (a little larger, the Butcher Shoppe is on premises & there is a more robust grocery section).

My only problem with Altomonte's is, well, Altomonte's. I walk in there and I am like a kid in a candy store. I keep reminding myself "you must maintain self-control" - all the while being assaulted with delightful aromas wafting about, eye appealing delights staring me down and calling my name, and the sounds of happy fellow customers encouraging me to dive right in and appease my every gastronomical whim.

And, so I do. Two of my absolute favorite Specialty sandwiches: (1) my cold sandwich choice - Special # 3 - Thinly sliced prosciutto with roasted peppers & aged sharp provolone; (2) my hot sandwich special - the Italian Roast Pork - thinly sliced roast pork dipped in au jus gravy with aged sharp provolone and a choice of roasted peppers or brocoli rabe depending on my mood. Either sandwich is (to borrow a Guy Fieri witticism) an absolute "off-the-hook killer sandwich!" The bakery - there are my Pignoli cookies - jackpot! While in the bakery, how about a loaf of my favorite Semolina bread - soft on the inside with a golden crust and sesame seeds on the outside. OK - I'm losing that self-control - beads of sweat begin to dot my forehead.

The Butcher Shoppe is located in Warminster, so call ahead & place your order for Doylestown 24 hours in advance. Their meat selections are first rate in terms of quality, the variety will blow you away and are far beyond whatever you are going to find at your local supermarket. Check out their monthly specials on-line if you are looking for some great deals. Then there are the cheese selections - how about a English Blue Stilton or a Wild Garlic Beemster (indulge - breath mints are at the ready). The olives, salads, and a wide assortment of prepared foods wink at me from their case daring me to turn them down. The only way to overcome these uncontrollable impulses is to call in my order, wear dark glasses, stuff cotton balls deep into my nostrils, stare straight ahead making no eye contact with anyone or anything, go to the register and pay my bill, do an about face and run like a man possessed making sure to never look back. With this new routine, I do tend get some rather strange looks but it is effective (well kind of - sort of)!!!

The bottom line is simple - if you want authentic first rate Italian fare, then Altomonte's is the best game in town. They have been at this for over 40 years and it shows ..bravissimo!!!

• Visited November 2013
“3 foot italian sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

3 foot Italian sandwich was for a camping trip. was a hit with the friends, easy, fast and delicious, fed 4 men for two days. never go to this place hungry. you will want to buy everything.

• Visited September 2013
solebury, pa
“Truely the best hoagies.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Any of there hoagies are great but the chicken cutlet warm is my favorite. All products are fresh and prices are good.

Visited September 2013
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“little bit of Italy in Doylestown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

A wonderful shop to find great Italian foods. From cookies, meats cheeses, pastas, prepared foods, dry goods and frozen pasta and sauces. Great antipasto trays to start any party. My favorite must have is the bruschetta and their garlic toast can't leave the store without my little treat.

Visited July 2013