“Marvelous Castle In An Unexpected Place”
Review of Fonthill

Fonthill
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Doylestown
More attraction details
Owner description: Once the home of Henry Mercer (1856-1930,) this concrete castle boasts 44 rooms with interior walls, floors and ceilings adorned with a dazzling array of the artist’s original handcrafted tiles.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Fonthill startles you with it's appearance. It is like a touch of Europe dropped into a small Pennsylvania town. Henry Mercer, a renaissance man, built his version of a European castle out of poured concrete. The guided tour merely touches on the unique style and appearance of this amazing structure. The nooks and crannies, the concrete dressers, the wealth of hidden staircases all provide a mysterious and enchanting experience. This is a must visit for Pennsylvania.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Do not miss the tour of the house ,it was very informative. We were there just before a wedding and the place looked very nice but I think it is always that nice and well kept

1  Thank 07Goldwing
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband and I went to visit Fonthill Castle. I love architecture and this is a masterpiece. The arches, the staircases, the hidden rooms, hidden staircases, domed ceilings, unmatching windows, the old books, the tiles, the colors of this sand-castle like home was amazing to see. The tour was about an hour long (a bit longer) and the man who gave the tour was extremely knowledgable. You could tell he loved what he does and he makes the tour very fascinating.

A must see! We will go back because its a lot to see.

1  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Buttonwood trees line the drive towards Fonthill. There is nothing to dislike. Grounds are amazing (70 acres originally bought by Mercer), the Castle and the tile appointments Mercer integrated into his solid concrete wall home are beautiful. Architects, Engineers, Librarians and young (soon to be professianals) will enjoy all of the aspects of this home. How it was constructed without modern day plans and is still alive and well to this day ... I insist everyone bring their youngsters to see what happens with the best laid plans (without an architectural degree).

2  Thank Terri S
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I visited to celebrate the death of my own Aunt Elizabeth, (My Tita 'Liza.) As a child I myself am fascinated by castles and just about everything medieval and eclectic. That's why I say I feel like I know him! I'm sure many can relate!

I am so happy too , that our tour guide, Joe, was very informative and he personalized the tour for us!

I couldn't take the smile off my face as we went about the house, that our tour guide had to notice me! This is my dream house too! Nothing is dimensional! Everything is different! One window to another window, one vaulted ceiling to another, all the bagatelles stuck up in ceilings and walls, I feel like they belong to me -so full of colors!!!

I am a songwriter and walking in here, feeling everything, reading walls with matching mottos with my life -I can write many songs!!! How I wish I can sing for this venue one day!

WORTH A VISIT! MUST SEEEEE!!!

1  Thank Erikita0924