“Terrific atmosphere but the entrees were below expectations”

Maxwells On Main Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Maxwells On Main Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 139 Restaurants in Doylestown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Recently ate here for the first time with friends on a Friday night. Were seated on the ground level at a nice table in the front in the main bar area. The atmosphere of the place is stellar and the service was very friendly and very good. This would be a great place to meet for drinks or bar food but is not recommended for more fine dining. The craft beer list is modest but very good. The appetizers were the stars of the meal, particularly the smoked pork quesadilla. The entrees were generally well prepared but curiously lacking in flavor and overpriced. Not recommended for dinner, but a good place for drinks and apps. The upstairs bar area is also very inviting, particularly the outdoor area in the back.

1  Thank tankr
There are newer reviews for Maxwells On Main Street

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Who expects a perfectly cooked, Southern Style Easter Brunch in bucolic Bucks County PA? But that is exactly what we received! Our tremendously helpful and patient server, Albert, made our ordering so easy as we weren't familiar with many of the dishes on this Cajun gem of a menu.
The children were even thrilled with their chicken fingers while the adults sampled all sorts of cooked to perfection southern delicacies. As former residents of Doylestown and knowing this restaurant as Maxwell's, we were surprised and delighted with the new theme and menu, but still housing the warm atmosphere. The mix of nooks, booths and bar area, along with the Jazz room upstairs and new outside seating this is a not-to-be-missed experience! And one more shout out to the uniqueness of this establishment. The Easter special was a dark stout beer served in a half chocolate Easter bunny. We explained to Albert we weren't beer drinkers, he brought us the beer separately and the children delighted in the gigantic whole Easter Bunny. Beer and Bunny were a reasonably priced $9.00. The bread pudding was as fine as any we have tried anywhere! I am not usually this effusive in my reviews, but this restaurant truly offers something different and something for everyone. Go and see for yourself!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Formerly B. Maxwell's, this restaurant is excellent. I preferred the former decor reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes and Victorian/Edwardian England, with etched glass and glass tulip lighting, but the more contemporary current decor is engaging, too. The bar is fabulous, and the dining room is friendly to both couples and families. The food is fresh and delicious.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband proposed to me at Maxwells 28 years ago so it will always have a special place in my heart.
New owners have done a great job with renovations and we love the bar scene upstairs!
We like happy hours here with great food and live music. They even have a very small outdoor patio upstairs.
We will return often!!

1  Thank Carol R
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Wow, what a range of reviews this place has garnered. Some of these almost make me feel guilty for "thinking" we had such a good meal here, but then I thought about it - what WE had, WAS really good, great actually! Yes, it ain't cheap. I don't believe the place is trying to be for everyone, but the evening we were there, last Friday, well they were not missing any customers, that's for sure! A couple of us had a few of those "overpriced" beers one of my fellow reviewers was speaking of ($5.50 to $8.00, which never seem like as much of a rip-off as the $10. glasses of wine from a $12 dollar bottle, duhh!) and enjoyed each drop. Then, one son had a great looking burger, my wife and other son had a pompano dish which was a special that night (they said it was really good!) and I had a wonderful 2 inch thick piece of sauteed striped bass with a super tasting compote of sauteed cabbage and wild mushrooms, also a special - striped bass usually is - and man, it was really excellent. Ok, it was 26 bucks, but I would expect that from a joint like this. The striper was cooked perfectly, & I do know a bit about fish prep. Frankly, if its prepared that way, the chef was either very lucky, of very talented - I choose to think talented! Anyway, our party of four ($117. plus tip, three entrees and a burger, split a salad, several beers each for two of us) seemed fair to me that night. So, I'd say check it out, we will be going back at some point, and I have already recommended to a couple of of folks who plan of hitting M.O.M.S. Sorry to drol on, take it as you will folks, be WE loved it!!