“Excellent Night and Great Dinner”
Review of Avalon Pasta Bistro - CLOSED

Avalon Pasta Bistro
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 322
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I had an amazing 9 course small plate dinner in the upstairs dining room. John (Chef) came up to introduce several of the courses personally - they were all unique and delicious. Being able to ask the chef about the foods is a nice touch. The service was great... especially considering there were 8 of us and there was a flight of stairs between the kitchen and our table. I'd definitely recommend...

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Went for the Valentine's day special. The food was great, the gnocchi was tender and delicious, the entrees were both excellent. We had the wild boar and lobster and crab ravioli. Both sauces were delicious, and the portions were generous. The 3 dessert samplers were also great, especially liked the "kit kat" knock off. The chocolate was rich and tasty. The service was very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We had 8pm reservations on Feb 4, 2012. We arrived at 8:02pm. We had a bottle of wine opened and ordered a cheese tray for starters. We waited 45 minutes for the first bite of food to come to the table. It was delivered by the owner/chef, John. My husband asked John if he felt 45 minutes was a reasonable time to wait for the first food to come to the table. With that, John proceed to very angrily tell is that he had to handle a problem with his mother-in-law and to get the "f...k" out of his restaurant!!! John then proceeded to hold the door open for us! We have NEVER had such a bad experience nor have ever been treated like this by anyone, especially someone in a customer service business. We will NEVER go back and will NEVER recommend this location nor the West Chester restaurant to anyone. The food is pricey, portions are small and the food isn't that great. Check out Amani's or The Orangery, both are great local Downingtown restaurants with excellent food and wonderful, friendly service!

6  Thank mikedolo
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We have dined at Avalon Pasta Bistro four times, most recently on February 1, 2012. We have thoroughly enjoyed the gourmet tapas menu and the great service every time. It is clear that the chef takes real pride in presenting a menu that includes choices not offered elsewhere. For example, one of the dishes I sampled was the tripe and trotter bruschetta. Tripe? Trotter? Being somewhat trepid about eating something so out of the ordinary, I asked the hostess to explain the dish and she summoned the chef, who told me the dish takes three days to properly prepare, and explained in detail, just how he does it. He then made me the following bargain: "try it, if you don't like it, send it back, no charge, no hard feelings, and I'll replace it with any other menu item." How could I refuse? So, let me tell you. It was delicious. I had to get past the psychological impact of knowing I was ingesting stomach lining and meat from the foreleg of a swine, but the taste and consistency were incredible, and certainly the dish was much more delicate than I would have ever imagined. There is so much more good to say about this restaurant, but I will offer this: the portions are not large in size, but they are supremely packed with flavor. Every bite of every dish is a gastronomic delight. I highly recommend the Avalon Pasta Bistro. Oh, one last thing, it is a BYOB, and they accept only cash. So bring money and wine, and you'll be fine. Check their website for coupons: we enjoyed our meal and presented a $10 off coupon. I paid gratuity for the pre-discount amount, of course, and we walked out, completely satisfied for a total of $76.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Tried it for the first time tonight. Food and service were great. Prices reasonable. Nice authentic feel. Staff was very helpful regarding choices. Try the effen hot pepper dish!