“A true gem in the middle of the mountains”

Out of the Fire Cafe
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Donegal
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Out of the Fire Cafe is a family owned and operated casual restaurant serving New American cuisine year round. We have been creating flavors amidst laughter and friends since the year 2007. The Cafe is tucked into the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania, conveniently located near area ski resorts, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, numerous state parks, and the rushing Pennsylvania Turnpike. Out of the Fire Cafe welcomes guests with an open kitchen where guests are able to peer into a mesmerizing scene of flashing flames and artistic finesse. The spacious dining area is complimented by an incredible view of the Laurel Highlands ridgeline. Deck dining is offered when the weather permits giving diners the opportunity to take in the rolling countryside. We are a Bring Your Own Beer or Wine establishment so don't forget to snag your beverage of choice. For a reservation please call the phone number listed below.
Reviewed August 27, 2014

My husband and I own a rental home in Seven Springs, PA, fairly close to Donegal where Out of the Fire is located. Every time we are out there, we can't wait to get to there....so we always make reservations well in advance. They are BYOB, so bring your favorite drink, whether is it beer or wine, you can bring it in. The food is, hands down, the best anywhere around. We live near Philly and it is better than most places near us. I love their 10 oz. filet mignon, the mixed seafood grill and the chicken fettuccine. My husband often gets the ribeye, and we both get the homemade mushroom soup. The scallop appetizer is also a treat. We have been there over 20 times and I can tell you, we have never had a bad meal. Ever. I have also had the sea bass and the smoked salmon entrees. ALL OUTSTANDING. The service is always top notch, and you know that the servers enjoy being there, as they are all long-term employees who we see again and again. If you can, save room for dessert, they have banana's Foster that is beyond words. They serve the banana rum sauce separate from the ice cream so it doesn't end up turning into soup before it arrives at your table. Do yourself a favor, make a reservation and stop by, you won't be sorry!!

Reviewed August 25, 2014

I was really torn how to rate this because our food was really outstanding, but the service was pretty bad. I'd definitely give it another try based on how good the food was.

We got there on a Friday night with no reservation. They made a big deal about letting us in without a reservation, but I saw quite a few empty tables around the restaurant, and nobody else was waiting to be seated.

Our whole table agreed that our waitor could be best described as pompous. He said the mako shark is "so moist you could squeeze it out like a sponge...not that you'd do that." So appetizing! Our other friend asked if he'd recommend the scallops or the salmon, and he responded with "the chef recommends that the salmon is prepared medium." Alright. Dinner took a very long time to arrive. Granted I was the only one at our table to not order an appetizer, but when I checked the time when the dinner actually arrived, it had taken an hour and a half. During that time the waitor avoided us--basically so he didn't have to acknowledge how long the meals were taking. It was a good 45 minutes with no drink refills, no apology for the delay, no bread. Total avoidance.

The meals came and they were really really good. 2 of us had the blackened pork loin with cheddar grits, which were the star of the plate. The mako shark was amazing with a great sauce that accompanied it. The salmon was good, but a little fishy tasting. I also tasted my boyfriends crabcake appetizer that was delicious. I had bananas foster for dessert which was delish!! but that's hard to mess up. My boyfriend had the creme brulee and he said it was pretty good, but not very flavorful. Someone else we were with had the biscotti trio and really enjoyed it was well. $100 for two people without any alcohol. (It's BYOB here with a $3/person corkage fee.)
So great food, especially for the area...but I think the staff needs a bit of a lesson in professionalism.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

To find an upscale restaurant in a low key area of PA was wonderful. The restaurant building itself was inviting, spacious, comfortable. The service first class. I had grilled watermelon salad to start which was amazing. Then had a pork tenderloin entree that had so much flavor and perfect portion size. My husband ordered a steak special med rare and waiter was good enough to recommend it med well because it would taste better cooked a little more due to the cut of meat. He was right, my husband loved it. Then came dessert, chocolate cake with a spicy Chocolate sauce and crime brûlée finished need the perfect meal.

1  Thank Brenda2166
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were traveling with friends through the area and since my husband had not been here we all decided this was the place to stop for lunch. Everyone else in the party had been here at least once so there was no questions as to whether to stop or not. Out of the Fire is conveniently located just off the Pennsylvania Turn Pike (within 2 miles) and so worth the little extra effort. Casual dining with an exceptional menu. Presentation, quality and quantity is far above what you might first expect when you enter. Staff is friendly, efficient and prompt. Outdoor patio that offers a lovely view of the surrounding countryside. No liquor license but you may BYOB. You definitely will not be disappointed dining here.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Not a lot going on a lot I this burg, but wow what a great casual restaurant. Hone smoked salmon, great steaks, pizza, etc. No liquor license, but you can BYO. Patio dining with heaters. Great vibe.