“A Great Camping Trip, Wildlife included!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dingmans Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingmans Ferry
Dingmans Campground
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
“A Great Camping Trip, Wildlife included!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

This was our first time camping at Dingman's Ferry. We shared a large campsite with another family. Combined we were four adults and three children between the ages of 5 and 7.

Overall, it was a great trip. We were meant to stay two nights, but there were severe storm and tornado warnings, so we decided to go up early in the morning in stead of at night. My only complaint was that when we called to reserve we asked for advice as we had never been to the campsite before, we were assured we were getting "the best" campsite (site #124). In my opinion, it may have been the worst I saw. It was plenty spacious, but right beside the boat ramp (easy water access, but noisy and high traffic) and at a t in the camp road (lots of night time head lights). However, the main issue was that this was the only site I saw that had no shade during the hottest part of the day. Literally all the other sites were well shaded and leafy, very private. I guess I know for next time! The bath houses are not so great (but it is camping) and the porta potties are going to be rough in 90 degree heat, no matter how nice they are!

On to the good stuff....the area is gorgeous! The camp store was the nicest I have seen and all the personnel we encountered were friendly and helpful. Our site was very large with plenty of parking. We had a fire ring (but no grill ring, you can purchase one at the camp store if you need) and two picnic tables. No where to run a wash line, which is mighty important when your kids spend the day in the river (but that seemed to only be our site). The Delaware River was easy to access, the water was a pleasant temperature, and the current was not too strong. I really recommend water shoes. There was a huge field that was mowed for frisbee and horseshoes. The water spigot was easy to access and the water was safe to drink.

We walked to the McDade Recreational Trail, which was very nice, good for hiking and biking. During the evening, a ranger came around and invited the kids to a ranger talk on animals in the park. We did attend and it was really great. Very informal, friendly, and hands on.

We had a great trip wildlife wise. We saw three deer, a young bald eagle, several heron, and a bear! Virtually all of these things were seen in the early morning hours and were just breath-taking.

We did not bring our canine friends, but they are allowed. However, it did seem to be a source of tension among our fellow campers as not all dogs were well-managed by their humans.

I would definitely return again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank TravelingJindas

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
US of A
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

The camping experiance is,,,well...camping. probably like every campground I've ever been too. It is what you make it. Go on the Memorial Day weekend here and you will be treated to most, of the day music which was local bands but talented non the less.
It was warm in the field but we camped along the river next to the setup area so we could hear the sounds well from our wooded haven,coming out to cheer when a particular song was done really well.(lots of that!)
As far as the alcohol ! yeah Rangers are probably a bit on the zelous side when it comes to drinking, but it is what it is.If they permited beer and wine at Dingfest,I'm sure they would rake in alot of money!
Okay..on to the staff..these people were the nicest group of kids you wanna meet.helpful in every way. on the bathrooms...a port-a-potty worked just fine.IT's CAMPING!!!
Wood was our only issue,1st wheelbarrow was fresh and wet,,a little pestering to the guys that make things happen got me some dry firewood for the second night of our stay! Would go there again for the Kayak trip down the Delly! River was high so it was a leisurely paddle with some fishin on the way! Oh~ and do take in the Dingmans Falls..a wonderous place!

Room Tip: reserve campsites along the river,far from the restrooms but a better camoing experiance.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank LOCKr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend fir two nights at the end of august. We had a great experience! The site rental is cheap and the staff was friendly and helpful. The bathrooms were fine, it's camping not a 5 star resort. I grew up in the mountains and have been camping my whole life, this place was great and I would recommend it to anyone. The only problem we had was the first night people were setting off fireworks at all hours and a car alarm kept going off. But overall everything was awesome, we went kayaking and hiked up to Adams falls! So if you're looking for some good and camping and don't need to coddled and have your hand held then try this place out!

• Stayed August 2010
      Rooms
1 Thank Besidome
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Just came back from a great weekend there. I was nervous as this was the first time camping with my kids ages 7 & 9. I grew up camping and the last time I had been there was 15 years ago. We were in a large group and we got in trouble with the "laugh police." It was funny to see my father get reprimanded for laughing too loudly after 10 pm. This time around I was happy to see the staff and park rangers make their rounds to make sure everyone was safe. We hung out by the fire untill midnight without any problems. Bathrooms were satisfactory, when your camping, its always damp! I loved how we could walk to the river and the kids loved getting ice cream from the general store. My husband (not a born camper) had such a relaxing time, bought a tent when we got back...still drying out the borrowed tent! It looks like we will be going back soon!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank TinaB73
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

I just spent four nights there over the past two weeks with my two teen-aged daughters. We loved it! We neither had nor saw any of the problems some campers noted in previous reviews. However, we weren’t loud late at night and we weren’t drinking alcohol. Except for our last night, when three loud families with young children camped next to us, our neighbors were consistently quiet and friendly. If campers around us were drinking, they weren’t drawing attention to themselves. One night our neighbors were a group of Native Americans who were passing through as they paddled along the river from New York State to Philadelphia. We had some nice chats with them and the next morning, their guide gave us tips for spotting wildlife on the river.

We stayed in site 126 on the river, which was a good location. It was small (as are all the river sites), but nicely shaded and we were steps from the river, a potable water tap, and porta potties. A clean bathhouse with flush toilets and showers was a few minute walk away, as was the store, which sells good coffee in the morning. Maybe it’s the drought, but we had few problems with bugs. Staff were friendly. Firewood was cheap and dry ($6 a half wheelbarrow, $12 for a full wheelbarrow.) We stayed there on week nights and the campground was uncrowded, facilities were clean, and we never waited to use the bathroom or shower. If you’re looking for a larger site, some are more spacious than others. The camp map on the website is drawn to scale so you could pick one with a little more room.

What to do in the area? We rented canoes from the camp store and paddled down from Milford back to our campsite. We are all beginners so it was a bit too long (four hours for us), but the scenery was beautiful and we spotted eagles, blue heron and egrets as we went. We saw a few fishing boats, but the river was deserted otherwise. We also used the campsite’s list of hikes to visit a local waterfall (one of the remote ones), where we were the only visitors and so could play in the waterfall. We spent an afternoon at CamelBeach (crowded, but fun) , which is 45 minutes away, and we saw some great original crafts at the store in Peters Valley Craft Center across Dingmans Bridge in NJ (ask at the camp store -- it's on the way to some of the waterfalls.) And we took a horseback trail ride from the Black Walnut Inn in Milford. The scenery was a little ho hum, but the horses were good and the staff was nice. The Inn’s woods were filled with wild Mountain Laurel, so a trip at a different time could have been beautiful.

We would definitely visit this campground again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank TravellingMom48
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

My partner and I have been to Dingman's at least twice a year for the last 5. It's very quiet here, some of the sites along the river are small and some aren't. Just review the map on their website. In the woods sites are larger and quiet also....mostly adults at this campground, but in our experience even the groups with kids have been well behaved.
Great hikes all around, friendly staff.
Some tips:
1. Keep your dog quiet.
2. Just hide your alcohol, just stop screaming and go to sleep if you're drunk. This isn't a frat party.
3. Hike.
4. Act like an adult
5. Take the river trips..very nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NewYorkJohnny
ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

This is the worst campground I've ever been to.

No Privacy what so ever!!!!! Theres no trees or bushes between you and your neighbors. Horrible experience. Your right on top of each other. The fire wood they sell there, soaking wet and damp. Would not light until we dried it out and used half a bottle of lighter fluid which they sold to us. Also the sites are very tiny.. Portal bathrooms are disgusting! Overall environment is uncomfortable. God help you if you do 2mph over the limit there (5mph) they will literally chase after you and yell at you. Not people that are caring about your camping experience but more about running their business and taking your money and lots of it. 9:30PM watch out because the park troopers come sneaking into your campsite and will harass you and check your coolers even if its in your car. I had a nice fire going, 2 friends, quietly talking and relaxing, drinking a six pack of non alcoholic beer and they stillll made use dump it out.... DO NOT GO HERE. A good review is from a camper that doesn't know any better. Not they're fault they dont know anything about camping. DO NOT GO HERE, go elese where for cheaper and where you can have privacy and enjoy a light drink quietly without having a swat team sneak into your campsite.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Scottish Inns Milford
Scottish Inns Milford
#3 of 6 in Milford
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Timothy Lake South RV
Timothy Lake South RV
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Dingmans Campground? Share your experiences!