“Clean and good for it's purpose but........”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dickson City
West Babylon
“Clean and good for it's purpose but........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I need to reserve rooms for my entire family to attend a funeral overnight up near Scranton. This hotel was a great price, about $85 for the night. The reviews all seemed good, so we booked it. When we arrived the hotel was nice, brand new and clean. I'm big on clean so I was happy. However their main computer was down so they were unable to check us in properly and take payments. The man at the desk was very pleasant, apologized for the inconvience and took all of our contact info, so he could call once the computers was up. When my brother in law went to check out in the morning he was told that all of the rooms had been billed to the card the reservations were made on, and it would take 5-6 business days to credit the card if we were to changed it at that point. Now I know my family is good for the money and I would not have cared had they not taken all our information to check with us about the billing. When I approach the day man at the desk I found him to be whiney and unaccomodating. When I pressed him for why they did this without my permission I was not given an answer. That is what was so upsetting. They added to an already stressful weekend. If I have to go up again for a short stay I will but I would be hesitant to book this chain of the Wyndam Resorts, seems the rooms are not ony micro, so is the level of service.

6 Thank funnygrl963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
rhode island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a very nice stay at the Microtel Inn. This was our first time using this chain, so I wasn't sure what to expect. It is located right off the freeway, but entered through a back parking lot, kind of weird, but the noise wasn't a problem. The staff was very friendly and the room had everything we needed. The beds were especially comfortable. It is worth noting that there are MANY restaurants nearby that aren't listed in the room guide. Practically every chain store and many restaurants are within a mile or two of the place just down the service road across from the hotel.

1 Thank mickeykitty
Middle Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

After recently staying at two other hotels in North Carolina my stays at Microtel in Dickson City, Pennsylvania now stand out even more as to why I continue to rebook when I am in that area (which is 3-4 times a year). The coffee/tea flows 24/7, which it does not at all hotels. Every time I call at 7am (which is when I normally arrive in the area) if a room is available Robbie allows me check in so I can begin the tasks I came into the area to do. There are fresh baked cookies at the desk in the afternoons and the staff can even tell you where the best local kielbasi can be bought on a Sunday morning. The rooms are clean, enviromentaly friendly and the waffle breakfast makes me very happy. Tim gets the breakfast going and keeps it going and supplied. In my recent stays in North Carolina they were slow to refill the waffle batter and coffee. That can be annoying when you need to get started on your day at Biltmore House and your eating up your time waiting on the staff to keep breakfast supplied.
And the mattresses and pillows at Dickson City give you a sleep you wish you could take home with you!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel when traveling across the country to check out colleges for our son. The hotel is relatively new, and fulfills its function perfectly. No, it doesn't have a lot of extras like exercise equipment but for a great night's stay I highly recommend it. The breakfast is very good, with the usual fare plus waffles and very good muffins.
FYI, it's a bit tricky to find the driveway and even trickier to exit due to a building blocking your view to the right.

Lehighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here with our 2 yr old daughter and everything was unbelievable. The staff was so pleasant and accomodating, we were treated with respect and attentiveness. I have stayed at hotels across the country and this hotel had one of the most friendly staffs i have ever had. They went above and beyond what you would expect, and they did it consistantly throughout our entire stay. Check in took only about 1 minute! The rooms were very clean, had a refrigerator, microwave, closet a flat screen tv and the breakfast in the mornings was awesome, had a wonderful variety such as hard boiled eggs, cereals, waffles, muffins, danishes, coffee, juices etc. When coming to Scranton, Microtel will always be my first choice. If you want to be treated as if you were in a 5 star hotel for a fraction of the price, Microtel is for you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Reminderville, oh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed there 3 nights for work and was very pleased with everything. Checked in in about 45 secs. Front desk was very helpful room was excellent. Not a breakfast person, but it looked good and always fresh hot coffee day or night. Only knock would be location, kinda ackward to get to the entrance, but not a big deal after the first time. Room seemed small but the bed was very comfy! If ever in the area I would stay there for sure!

• Stayed March 2012
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

I can't rave enough how great the Microtel was! The staff went above and beyond....really beyond what you would find at most hotels. We came to ski and stay at the suggestion of a friend and were extremely impressed! The staff is friendly, the fresh made cookies and coffee were a hit for my entire family. The room was immaculate and the sheets and towels were very high quality. The room came with the added bonuses of a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and a window bed. Yes...a window bed. We are a family of five and most vacation spots are geared for families of four. We are always forced to upgrade to a suite or provide our own airbed, sleeping bag or pay extra for a cot if one is even available. Well, no one has to sleep on the floor at Microtel...the room came with two queen beds and a mattress and pillow on the window sill...my son's don't have to argue anymore who gets stuck on the floor. Now they fight over who gets the bed with a view!

Now the manager of the hotel, Tim, went out of his way....really out of his way to make our ski trip a success! He greeted us by name at breakfast and gave us all the ins and outs of the mountain. The hotel was filled with people for a parade in town but he took the time to talk to my family and make sure we had everything we needed to make our ski trip a success....discount lift tickets, directions, the list of which trails were best at different times of the day and so much more. It was a win-win for us because we had a great night sleep and a full breakfast and a day of skiing for only $75 more than skiing lift tickets would have cost us alone.

The breakfast bar was overflowing with fresh fruits, yogurts, gourmet muffins, assorted pastries and breads, hard boilted eggs, make your own waffles, cereals, oatmeals, coffee, teas, juices and more. The breakfast area was very clean and well maintained and Tim kept right on top of the cleanliness of the tables.

I would definitely stay at Microtel on my next trip to Elk Mountain! Thank you Tim and staff for your personal efforts to make our family vacation a huge success!
The Matthews

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dickson City-Scranton
Fairfield Inn Scranton
Fairfield Inn Scranton
#5 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton? Share your experiences!