“O.k. for low budget motel”
Review of Penn Amish Motel

Penn Amish Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I appreciate that there are still some basic, low cost hotels around because I think hotels in general are WAY overpriced. When I'm on vacation or on an overnight trip, I can't see spending $100-$150 for just a bed to sleep in. We don't spend enough time in the room to need fancy amenities. As for this motel, the Pros: location (right in the middle of the antiques district), felt safe (door had good locks, clientele looked presentable), bed linens were extremely clean, brand new large flat-screen t.v. with good cable channel selection, free wi-fi worked great, good parking directly by the room door, was quiet (sits a good distance off the main road), sink & toilet were very clean & looked brand new. Cons: Room was very humid (was at a time of year when neither heat nor AC was needed). We tried turning on the heat to dry out the room but unit would not come on; refrigerator in room was not plugged in when we arrived. After plugging it in it made loud buzzing noises all night. Carpet had not been vacuumed in a while. Shower strength was weak and bathtub grout was black in places. Couldn't tell if it was dirt or missing grout spots. Slight musty/old smell in room.
Other info: complimentary bar soap only (bring your own shampoo), there was a microwave in the room but we didn't use it. No hair dryer. No clock/alarm clock (but you can request a wake-up call).
Overall it was adequate but still felt a little overpriced after adding the 11% extra Pennsylvania hotel tax. The only alternative, though, is to spend $100+ for a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MountainTraveler370

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My broither and I were looking for a reasonably priced, clean, no-frills place to sleep for a couple of nights while checking out flea markets and antique shops in the Adamstown area -- and found what we were looking for in the Penn Amish Motel (although there's nothing Amish about it.) The room (and bathroom) were very clean. The beds weren't the most comfortable I've ever experienced, but I've also had far worse. Water pressure in the shower was a bit low, but certainly adequate. Nice size flat-screen TV; very good A/C in our room. Wireless Internet service was inconsistent but functional. "No frills" for sure -- no coffee maker, no breakfast, no hair dryer -- but we didn't need (or expect them). The driveway places the room away from the highway -- no traffic noise at all. For under $80 a night (including taxes) on the weekend of an "Adamstown Antique Extravaganza," we were pleased overall. Plenty of services -- gas, groceries, coffee shops -- nearby. Crab cakes, pulled pork, and beer at the nearby Stoudt's Brewery / Black Angus Restaurant & Pub were all great.

Room Tip: All the rooms are probably quiet, given the way the property is situated. A/C may be too noisy for s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Steve J
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Penn Amish Motel was clean, economically priced, and conveniently near restaurants. The lady at the desk was cheerful and nice. However. When we arrived, the outdoor temperature was in the teens. Despite our having a reservation, the room wall heater had not been turned on, and the room was unbelievably frigid. My husband and I huddled together on the floor under the heater for a full twenty minutes before we could take off our coats. No coffee maker, as another reviewer noted, so no quick hot beverage fix. Once we got warm enough to consider removing clothing, a hot shower sounded good -- but not so. It took forever to get hot water, and the "shower head" was just water coming out of the end of the pipe - through some sort of obstruction that looked like steel wool shoved up into the pipe. A half-hearted warmish misting is not a hot shower. We gave up and retired to bed, but the mattress was hard and squeaky, and I could feel the springs. There was no comfortable position.

I've stayed at much worse places. Cleanliness and cheerfulness are worth a lot. But if you show up there on a cold night, be sure to call ahead and ask them to turn on the heater before you get there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RockSpirit
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here with another couple during race weekend. The owners were so friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. The room was small, but the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was newly renovated. The rooms were clean, apart from a few stains on the carpet by the door, but I think that may be because many people don't wipe their feet before walking into the room.
When the race was cancelled due to rain, we called from the race track and was able to get two rooms for the same night. Now, here's where we were impressed with the owners--they could have charged us the Saturday night rate and we wouldn't have known any better. Instead, the rate was $35 cheaper.
If you're looking for a 5 star hotel full of amenities, then keep looking. This hotel doesn't even have a coffee pot in the room (that's ok, next year, I will bring a small one) but they DO have a microwave and small refrigerator that were both spotless. The bed was more comfortable than my bed at home, and the shower had plenty of hot water.
If you're looking for a nice motel that is clean, comfortable, and safe, then by all means, stay at Penn Amish.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Denise S
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I travel to the area from Bangkok, Thailand, every few years. Penn Amish Motel is my favorite place to stay every time. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The location, one mile from the turnpike and in the heart of Dutch country makes this motel convenient. The owners are helpful and they are always remodeling to keep the motel in good shape. The price is almost half of what you would pay in other area motels. I will return again and again when I travel to Central Pennsylvania. Barbara

Room Tip: Call in advance to be sure of getting a room. One larger room had three big beds and a kitchen table...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank BarbaraEliz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denver
Comfort Inn of Lancaster County North
#2 of 2 in Lititz
Rodeway Inn Akron
Rodeway Inn Akron
#1 of 1 in Akron

Been to Penn Amish Motel? Share your experiences!