“Truly One of a Kind!”
Review of Zen Fusion - CLOSED

Zen Fusion
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Haitian Fusion $25 Prix Fixe Menu, with lots of Vegan and Gluten Free Options.BYOB w/ $3/ bottle fee. Non-Alcoholic beverages easily serve as mixers.
Greenlawn, New York
“Truly One of a Kind!”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

My husband, 10 year old daughter and I ate here in Feb, during a weekend trip to ski at Shawnee. We found it by searching gluten-free options in the area because our daughter is gluten and dairy free. What a wonderful find!

We went for dinner on Sat. night and were so blown away that we went back for breakfast the next day. The chef spoke to us personally about our daughter's food allergies and assured us that many of the dishes were both gluten and dairy free. And what amazing dishes they were! So unique and flavorful. Like nothing we've had before. We loved every dish. Our daughter ate everything, and she's usually very picky. It truly was special.

The chef told us that if we had our own bread with us (and we always do!) we could bring it the next day and she would make our daughter strawberry french toast using coconut milk. Well, they were AMAZING. My daughter even said it did not taste like her own bread!

If you are in the Shawnee area, don't miss this gem of a restaurant. And don't be put off by the clouded windows. We were a bit unnerved by them, but we went in anyway. The owner said that was intentional--sending a message of not judging a book by its cover!

The chef and owner are also artists and the decor reflects this -- ecclectic and unique. We walked around the restaurant just to look closely at everything. There was even a reggae dj playing some amazing music during diner.

This is the type of place you'd expect to find in Soho NYC, not in the Poconos. We hope they do well there, but told them if they ever want to expand, they should look into opening in Huntington Village Long Island, where we live!

Just go!

• Visited February 2014

Nanuet, New York
“Great food great people”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We went here the weekend of the 28th on a saturday and had such a great experience we went back sunday before our trip home !! Never heard if a Haitian fusion cuisine ever and was surprised at how amazing and home made (literally) the food was ! The owner sylvestre has become family ! In a matter of 2 days !! Something new wish we had them by us (ny) .. As opposed to other reviews the reason it takes long if so is because there is 1 chef who makes everything .. Id prefer 1 chef to like 4 in chain restaurants any day .. Plus my boyfriend is gluten free and they had a ton of choices him being Haitian food he thought he could never eat ! Will return as soon as possible !

• Visited March 2014
henryville,pennsylvania
“AWESOME Cuisine!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Saw this place on Tripadvisor and wanted to try something different and Homemade so my wife and I,son and daughter went to Zen Fusion. The first thing you notice when you walk through the door is the eclectic array of decorations and furniture. The food was Awesome with all natural ingredients,spices, and herbs. We started off with their small bites (appetizers) menu. The Seafood Croquettes and Gayle's Dumplings (pot stickers) were very good and tasty. The $20 Prix Fixe Menu was Great. You have a choice of salad, soup or fritay (fried plantain, yucca balls, veggie and corn fritters and sausage). I had the Haitian Fritay and it was Delicious. My wife and daughter and son had the Vegetable Pozole Soup (Vegan broth with hominy, corn chips, avocados, and radishes). This was a very homey, delicious and satisfying soup. At this point I thought I was sitting at the people who owned this places kitchen table. At this point I felt like I couldn't wait to try dinner and it didn't disappoint any of us. I had the Griot (Deep fried pork cubes with rice and beans with some kind of delicious dipping sauce). My son had Stewed Chicken and Cashews which you could tell was made to order and was Delicious as well ( I tried it). My wife and daughter had the Ginger Chili Shrimp ,Very Tasty and Delicious as well. Mine and my families taste buds was treated to some new spices and some new cuisine. Then came dessert. We all decided to have something different so like dinner we could try one an others. I had the homemade rum raisin ice cream . My wife had the Haitian Beignets (Deep fried banana fritters) with a carmel rum dipping sauce, my son had the Riz Au Latte (Coconut rice pudding dusted with coconut flakes, and my daughter had the Sweet and Sassy Bread Pudding (Chocolate chip and butterscotch,with a chocolate sauce) Every dessert was Excellent and home made. The owners of the place Sylvester and Nyrvah came out and spoke to us about our experience and what we thought about the food. We all agreed that we loved it and would be back and bring friends as well. They are two very kind and beautiful people.The waitress Brianna was adorable and very attentive. My family and I love to cook ( I owned my own restaurant years ago). We love fresh food and ingredients that we wouldn't do at home. If you have any special dietary needs, whether they are vegan, gluten free or allergies, they will gladly accommodate you if you don't mind waiting a little extra. Eating Out at a restaurant should be an Experience. That's exactly what this was an Experience and a GREAT one at that.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank ironmann1013
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
“McDonald's for Valentine's Day”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were at Zen Infusion for Valentine's Day. My husband had the Grito, pork shoulder which was very good; I had a taste of it. I had the Crispy Fish with Spicy Peach Sauce which was not editable. At first I thought it might be a spice that I was not familiar with since attempting a different ethnic cuisine. My husband tasted twice and could not eat it. It was a burnt taste, although the food was not burnt. It was almost like the fish was cooked with the plastic wrap still on it. We did speak to the owner, he offered to make me another dish but the service was slow and we did not want to wait another 20 minutes or better for another dish. He offered to make good on it another time; I don’t think it should have been the next time. Friendly atmosphere and staff. Left there and went to McDonald's for food.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Hawkeye317
Bloomsburg
“Innovative, tasty & different; we would go back.”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

First let me say that my husband and I enjoy unique cuisine that is not "run of the mill", so we were up for giving this restaurant a try. I'm glad we did! Zen Fusion describes it's cuisine as a "creole fusion ...... combining the cuisines of Haiti, Asia, and Latin America". We arrived early on a Friday evening for dinner because we had reservations at the Deer Head Inn for music/jazz later that evening. The restaurant only had about 8 other diners there at the time. We were welcomed very warmly and the waitstaff & host were both very friendly. At dinner time they have a $20 prix fixe menu, which includes an appetizer, main course and desert. I had the pozole soup for my appetizer, and while it was o.k., I was a bit disappointed that it pretty much lacked "pizazz" .... That is where my disappointment with the food ended however! For my entree I had the "Crispy Fish", a talapia filet with spicy, chili-peach sauce which was great! My husband had the ginger-chili shrimp stir-fry, also quite flavorful and wonderful. For desert we each chose the "Sweet & Sassy Bread Pudding", which is a bread pudding containing chocolate chips & butterscotch, topped with chocolate sauce - to DIE FOR!! They also have a tapas menu if you do not want the $20/prix fixe, but the prix fixe is a much better deal. Their lunch menu looks interesting, and they have a "Caribbean Night" with live music once per month. They have a bar, but also allow BYOB. The atmosphere is warm, welcoming, artful, and relaxed and you can enjoy a unique dining experience. People who's taste run to cheeseburgers and mac & cheese should dine elsewhere! Anyone with a desire for a unique experience with very good food should give Zen Fusion a try.

• Visited October 2013