“Do not stay here!”

Pocono Inn At Water Gap
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Do yourself a favor and stay someplace else. I was on a mystery ride and did not know where our destination was so someone else selected the hotel. If I had the chance to check reviews I would not have staid here. This place is a dump! It is very outdated and falling apart. The rooms smell like old tobacco smoke, the pillows were old enough to vote, an outlet was hanging from the wall, the shower looked like it should have been in a condemed building and there was black mold behind the toilet. Ironically, there was a tip envelope in the room that was colored like a elementary school project. Staff told us the place flooded two years ago and they still need to renovate. Honestly the place is borderline being condemed. Go someplace else to stay!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank AdventureMythsJon

Reviewed May 28, 2013

DO NOT stay here!!! There are plenty of hotels in Stroudsburg in the same price range!! First bad thing, it was obvious that they use the same room keys over and over, first no, no. On entering the building you are blasted with the musty smell of mold! The first floor was inaccessible which we found odd. The room is moderately sized. Carpet is extremely old. Old school TV, unlike most hotels which have gone to flat screens. The bathroom was absolutely filthy!!! I would not make my worse enemy shower there. I took pictures of the tub! I wanted to leave but was afraid I would lose my money, but it may have been worth it. The sample toiletries were laid out on the vanity top and some of them were half used!!! Gross!The bed was as hard as a rock! When leaving the next day we saw why the first floor was cut off (We had arrived when it was already dark). The whole lower level was all boarded up and it was obvious that there had been a very major flood there and they lost the first floor! You could see the mold on the painted over walls. I do not know how this place is not condemned! Such a poor decision to stay there. Please do not make that mistake!

Room Tip: Stay in Stroudsburg instead!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tr1n1ty01
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Some places you leave and know you will never return. In this case it's probably also because we won't be able to. After checking in, we noticed the motel bar had an eviction notice on the door so all hopes of $1 beers went out the window. We weren't expecting luxury, but we were also hoping the online reviews we read were exaggerated. They were not. In addition to a smoky, moldy aroma, there were stains on the carpet, mold on the ceiling, plastic covering the hanging smoke detector, creepy abandoned hallways, and a view of a very shady parking lot. I'm thankful for the sign that stated, "not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles" because we were initially debating on leaving our golf bags in the car.

Needless to say, we checked out the next morning. After we requested a refund for the next two prepaid nights, the man at the front desk had the nerve to argue with us about what type of bug it was that crawled onto my hand in the bed the night before. We have yet to see a refund.

A memorable experience for sure!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Alexandra J
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed two nights at this hotel this past week. Before I went I read the reviews and was quite concerned. Well I must say for the price I paid it was an excellent choice. The place was clean and comfortable. It is not a 5 star but for the price that should not be expected. I would highly recommend it for a short stay. We went with a group of school children and they were all impressed. In the morning there was a continental breakfast with the freshest bagels I have had in a long time. For $48.00 a night I got a clean and comfortable room and even a great continental breakfast in the morning. Can't ask for more!!!!!HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bbratwurst
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We just drove through and needed a place to stay the night. We were informed that the ground floor had been flooded and is being renovated. So we could only stay on the second floor and there is no elevator we could find.

The room was fine, the beds are comfortable and it was acceptably clean. Old TV with noisy picture. There were no tissues in any tissue container. The room door was open when we got to the room. The bath tub's paint was peeling off.

The wifi drops out every once in a while, but when it's on it's fairly speedy. No fridge or microwave in the room.

Overall this is an acceptable motel for a one night stay. But given the location and the inconvenience of only staying on the second floor, I believe the price of $62.13 incl tax is too high.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tim T
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel while on a personal trip. I was not looking for a luxurious getaway, just a clean place to sleep. Their website says it's a 2-star hotel, and it is. But I was really impressed with the value for the money!

The Awesome: cannot beat the price, location is very convenient on/off I80 yet it is not noisy at all, rooms themselves are very soundproof (very peaceful for sleeping!), water pressure was amazing, room was nicely sized and had fridge and microwave, staff was very friendly and quick to offer to help with anything, free wireless internet, nice balcony with a couple of fat little friendly squirrels down below. As has been said, it's not the Hilton, but remember you're also paying less than half the cost of staying at a place like that!

The "Bad": if I must nit-pick, the amenities listed on the website aren't entirely accurate. No coffee pot in the room, but I believe it is offered in the breakfast area on the first floor. There is a restaurant mentioned on the website, but there is no actual restaurant on-site. And the coin laundry is a single washer and dryer. But it exists, and works nicely! Again, for the cost and convenience of this place, these things are truly just nit-picking and did not adversely affect my stay in any way. OH, and the bed was extremely firm. This might be an "awesome" for some people (haha), but just not what I'm used to, so it was difficult to get used to the first night. This is the only reason for my lower "sleep quality" rating. I would give it excellent based on peacefulness alone!

On a side note, I actually think it may be possible that at least a couple of the bad reviews were meant for a nearby hotel of a very similar name (the other one is in "towne" rather than at the Water Gap). The two are not related, but the similar names can be very confusing! I almost stayed at the other one first, and will just say that I was very relieved to have ended up at the Water Gap one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I needed to rent a hotel room for my parents and brother for one night. This hotel was ideally located right next to the park n ride, which is where they needed to catch a bus to a baseball game in NY the next day. After tax, for 3 people, the total came to $45.03 and included a very basic continental breakfast (bagels, cereal, coffee and juice). The room was basic, but clean. Everything worked. Hotel had interior corridors and felt safe. Smoke free room had no smoke smell at all. Ice machine was nice to fill a small cooler for the bus the next day. This is not the hilton, but was extremely reasonable and served its purpose. If there are any travellers coming through this area looking for a no frills, basic, clean hotel, I highly recommend the Pocono Inn at Water Gap!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delaware Water Gap
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg POCONOS
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg P...
#2 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
1 mi away
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Super 8 Stroudsburg
Super 8 Stroudsburg
#1 of 7 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Pocono Inn At Water Gap? Share your experiences!