“No Frills expect little!!”

Pocono Inn At Water Gap
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Their ad was way off base. There was no game room, remodeled rooms and so on as stated. There was no ac through out the building, only the rooms. The reastaurant / bar had two pool tables and was hot, again no ac. Appears a family living on site run everything. Landscape, well weed gardens with rocks, over grown bushes. But to be 100% honest, they did honor the coupon for $69.00 + tax. The rooms need attention now, worn down, flash back of the Late 70's to mid 80's. For what we paid and if you stay for one maybe two nights, it was ok. The breakfast of free bagels, coffee, juice, muffins were ok too. Then again for a saturday night stay and a light free breakfast what else can one say.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed at the Pocono Inn this past weekend and it had its ok and not so ok. I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I expected from the previous reviews I read, but they weren't far off. Upon registering, the front desk was very accomodating to us since the site we booked with did not send the confirmation email. FYI, make sure you have your confirmation printed out because we probably would have been charged twice if we hadn't had it with us or would have had to fight with the booking site for a refund. Anyways, the front desk seemed a bit disorganized and it took a while to find a room but they were kind and got us our room with no trouble. There were three people and I think they were the family that owned it and they were very nice.

When we got to our room, I was very relieved that it did not smell. I was worried about mildew and odor from previous reviews but it smelled fine and was very clean. The only problem I had was with the tub, the paint was peeling off of the tub floor and it felt as though it hadn't been cleaned in a long time, it had that grimy slimy feel.. I'm not trying to offend the hotel, just describing the feeling.

We had a balcony but were not able to use it because it was infested with spiders. I realize we are technically in the mountains but I mean infested...my husband is not afraid of spiders (like I am) and he could not even enjoy his coffee out there, they were crawling all over. So I'm not sure if that's a problem that can be brought under control perhaps but it kind of killed the perk of a balcony. Not only were they on the balcony but they were dead on the carpet and there was a trapeze artist while blow drying my hair...

Moving on to the infamous housekeeping staff... Our room was not cleaned, of course. We only stayed 2 nights so it wasn't a big deal but the sign on the door says to be out of the room by 12 to have it cleaned, otherwise a bag of clean towels will be left outside. Well we were still in the room at 12pm but the sign was off and we were on our way out when she was in the room next door. She never cleaned our room and we did not receive a bag of towels. We called the front desk and the woman was very nice and brought us towels, coffee, toilet paper and whatever else we needed very quickly, so that was good... I did not leave housekeeping a tip since she did nothing for us during our stay.

We didn't have the continental breakfast at the hotel, we went out for our meals so I can't comment on that.

All in all, it wasn't the worst experience, I just wouldn't stay again mainly due to the spiders. I have stayed at nearby hotels and never had a problem with that many bugs... It's a two star hotel so you won't expect much but it's good for a place to sleep and we didn't have any problems really and the owners and staff were nice...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
poconoinn, Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank you for your comments. I like your post because it is objective.

About the bugs in the balcony, we have contractor who periodically treat the hotel. We have to pass PA State inspection periodically as well. This year our area has had a lot of rains so the insects are unusually prospering. That may be why the regular treatment is not strong enough.

I have heard your opinion, and will take action about it.

Thank you and welcome you back to Pocono Inn at Water Gap again.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

NO elevators. Horrible management... my company had packages sent to my hotel. The girl at the front desk (who was just clicking to her heart's content on Facebook when I walked in) had to call her dad (the manager) to come help me with my packages. He got back looked at me like I was a unicorn and asked me TOO many questions about why I was there and the packages. I proceded to attempt to get them across the long hallways (no bell carts) to my room and up the stairs. The first floor is being renovated by the way. Smells very weird like mold/musky/cigarettes. Thin walls, cold water, near construction area ( June 2011). Horrible place to stay. Would not recommend. Only would recommend if you're just looking for a quick place to sleep on your way through, but that's even a stretch. No pool no spa no fitness center.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Ihatethewatergap
poconoinn, Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

Dear Ihatethewatergap: I am sorry that you feel in this way.

Your company booked the hotel for you because your co-workers like the hotel a lot. It is your first business trip, and you came with many expectations. Sadly, Pocono Inn at Water Gap is not a hotel of your choice.

Pocono Inn at Water Gap has two stories and in this quiet, relaxing, rural region two story buildings are not allowed to have elevators. However, the stairs in Pocono Inn at Water Gap are wider and flatter than other similar hotels in the region, and we do indeed carry packages for our customers. When your company reserved the hotel for you, your co-worker (or supervisor) did have deliberations. It is unfortunate that my hotel disappointed you.

With that disappointment, everything is wrong in your eyes. The packages were delivered to the hotel before your arrival. When you ordered hotel staff to carry the package immediately to your room, he did have to ask you questions to make sure that packages are safely given to right person. Sadly, you don’t think the verification procedure is a good service. Will you get offended when UPS verify your identification before giving your package?

Anyway, with your experience gain about hotels in the region, you may come back to my hotel, just like other people in your company. You are still welcome.

Reviewed June 8, 2011

My stay was during Memorial Day Weekend 2011. When I booked the hotel, the pictures of the hotel looked so nice and the price was right. Unfortunately, my husband and I arrived, I must say that I wanted to run the minute I walked in. The restaurant connected to the hotel was closed for business (which is something they advertise on their site as a place to eat). The check-in area was a one-woman show. I don't think she had enough hands to handle the guests that was coming into the hotel. The inside of the hotel was dimly lit and smelled mildewey! The owner was running around like a chicken with his head cut off, because he was the only person who could handle all the issues going on at the hotel. I mean, I was so disappointed and frustrated. When I was given a key to my room, the room they gave me was not available for us to use. Then they gave us another room. I requested a King size non-somking room and was given a room with two double beds. I guess that was it for me, I told them to cancel my reservation and I booked another hotel and paid twice as much. But I was happy! Never stay here unless they have changed management!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SMartinez310
poconoinn, Front Office Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

I thank you for your comments and am sorry that you have to leave my hotel.
In the Memorial Weekends, we are completely booked from Friday to Monday. Many people love my hotel and they kept pouring in. We had directed away at least 100+ people each day because hotel simply had no room. When you arrived at Memorial Day (Monday), all the staff members had been over stretched, and, it was not easy to hire some one to help immediately.

I appreciate all the new or existing customers who recognize the value and accept the philosophy of the hotel.

Pocono Inn at Water Gap believes in green and conservative life style. We don’t over light hallways and outside. We rather put resource in the rooms where customer can directly benefit from. I am sorry that you felt dim in hallway and parking lot. However, you didn’t get into our room yet, so you are not able to judge the cleanliness and sleep quality.

I am glad to hear that you are happier in another hotel with twice as much. That hotel may have brighter hallways and parking lot, but I am sure it doesn’t have bigger, cleaner, more comfortable, and equally bright rooms. It is really your preference.

When you decide to have better room with half of the price, you are still welcome to my hotel.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We wanted to stay someplace near the National Park recreation area that was also located near the interstate, and this seemed to fit the bill. Reviews on Trip Advisor were positive, so we decided to chance it as the rates were so low we couldn't believe it. They had one rate on the internet, but I had difficulty making a reservation online. I called and they matched the internet rate. When I got there, they didn't have my reservation, and they hadn't given me a reservation # on the phone, but the manager gave me the rate I was quoted. We had a large king size room with fridge and microwave. Air con worked well, bathroom was spotless, towels were plentiful. All the first floor rooms appeared to blocked off, but our room was well located on the second floor. There is actually a bus that goes to the city (NYC) every 20 minutes. They get crowded on weekends and the rates are a bit higher. Not a plush place, but a great deal.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ChautauquaNY
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I booked a room for 4 nights, based non what I read in trapadvisor.
I really should have booked somewhare else.
they say the breakfast is frim 6 : 30 to 10... we went to have our breakfast at 8 am, the woman told us nothing was left but cereals !!!! the orange juice was more water than orange and finally, because some other people went their to have their breakfast, they decided themsleves to bring so iced donuts that needed to be grilled !!!! that suck !!

regarding the room, when we went to join ours, we noticed the outside of the hotel wasn't very securizing, the carpet in the corridor was dirty and stained, the door was supposed to be open with a card, but that didn't function so everyone could come in.

the ice machie was out of order.

in the room, the bed was Ok and aslo de bathroom. BUT, the didn't make the bad !!!! we were so surprised I checked on tripadvisor if that happened to someone else and I actullay did find one. the answer from the manager of the hotel was that he had something on his bed and that was why the housekeeper didn't touch it. OK so we left absolutly nothing on the bed, but when we came back, it was still unmade. they change de towels, but didn't clean de bathroom (we showerd bith a bug during our 4 night).

ok let's be honest, they actually did make the bed : de sunday (we arrived thursday). maybe it was because we left the morning after, maybe it was because it was the end of the week.... however, this hotel gave us the worst impression and the worst stay during all our trip to the east coast. We stayed in 5 differents hotel and this one is definitly the worst of all.

and the location is so poor that we will never come back their again, nor recomend it to a friend or anyone else at all

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank poussin77144
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I wanted to go canoeing and hiking in the Delaware Water Gap. The hotel choices are limited. Based on reviews and price, I took a chance on this hotel. I was skeptical because the price was low. However, the room was completely fine.The room was a basic budget room but clean. We stayed two nights -Friday and Sat. and it was quiet both nights which was also a relief.

It was one exit up from where the canoe trips depart and close to numerous hiking trails.
We don't camp and it was very convenient to all the activities.

The breakfast was decent. If it is too crowded, there is a diner within walking distance. Another unexpected bonus was the hotel had a bar with a pool table and darts. Drinks were very reasonable.

I normally stay at chain hotels but would definitely return to this one because it was a great value for the price. The staff was also friendly.

The only improvement in this price category would be if they maintained the outside lawns a little nicer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slp0704
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delaware Water Gap
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor

Been to Pocono Inn At Water Gap? Share your experiences!