“Not a great experience”

Best Western Danville Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Danville
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Don't waste your money here. They don't even have a sign on the highway letting you know they're there. The hotel is situated in an area with a good dozen other options and any one of them would likely give you more for your money. I asked several times if the "suite" we were booking was an actual two-room suite and was told yes each time. What we got was a bedroom/sitting room combo with no privacy between "rooms," and not so much as a refrigerator in the room. Really? This is a three-story hotel with one ice machine on the ground floor. They have a pool but it was closed the entire time we were there (with a sign dated the day we arrived stating that the pool would be closed for 24 hours - we were there three days).

WiFi is spotty at best and seemed to only be consistent at one end of the room. In their defense, though, they did have wired Ethernet which worked out OK for the Mrs.

The "full breakfast" is the same every morning and includes gritty pancakes, powdered eggs (we referred to them as "egg dust" because they were dry and fell apart) and an assortment of breads, cereals and juices. If they had simply stopped there and offered a continental breakfast it would have been way more appealing.

Now for the good stuff: The in-room single-serve coffee is a nice touch and the beds seem to be reasonably new and in good condition. My wife liked the pillows and the towels were soft and fluffy. Housekeeping does a decent job and the staff is generally courteous and attentive to guests' needs. Vending is reasonably priced and accessible on all floors.

Overall, I don't think that they offered a good value for what we got. When I pay for a suite that's what I expect and in the year 2012 I think they could manage a fridge and a TV that's not old enough to drink legally.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Good breakfast, clean room, and only 30 minutes away from Knoebels. We all slept well and had a good hot breakfast in the morning. Staff was very helpful and polite. Highway noise didn't seem any worse than the other hotels on our roadtrip. Wireless worked fine for our netbook.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Staff was very friendly! Hot breakfast was good. The guy who made eggs and stocked food at breakfast was wonderful, he made sure we were happy with everything. The only small drawback was Wireless Internet worked for my husbands laptop, not for my iPad. Not sure why. I had to walk out in hallway. Check out was great. Would stay again.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel is located convenient to I-80. Trucks tend to use their loudest brakes at the corner close to the hotel, so there is a good bit of road noise even on the top floor.

Rooms are large. Wireless internet is weak, but the desk provides ethernet cords to top floor guests.

We were there for a family wedding with a group of about 50 people for three nights.

The first floor entry area was designed poorly and as a result, there can be far more travelers trying to eat breakfast than there are seats and tables in the dining and lobby area. Best Western has accommodated the overflow by converting an adjacent guest room to a dining area, which does provide for ample seats. But, instead of making that overflow room warm and inviting, they have filled it with ultra-cheap folding tables and chairs, giving it the feel of a low-end school cafeteria.

During our stay our housekeeper apparently chose to take one day off. We did not get maid service on day three at all.

And we were awoken and bothered early each morning by lots of loud door slamming as people checked out or went down to breakfast. It's not that travelers are particularly rude here, but room doors are designed to close with a reverberating bang if they are not guided by a hand all the way in.

Even with all that, our experience here was better than at other nearby hotels where we have stayed in prior years. We would choose this property again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FormerCheeseHead
Reviewed April 30, 2012

The hotel was updated, comfortable, staff was very friendly. It was much more than I expected for the price. The pool looked nice. The breakfast was good. We were at a soccer tournament in Bloonsburg. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carolew1959
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed here four nights out of seven during a week when my husband was in the Geisinger Hospital. The first night my daughter and I checked in with no prior reservation at midnight, and they were very accomodating. They offered us the "Geisinger" rate which was discounted by about $16 from the AAA rate. The place is clean and pretty new. Not much to look at from the outside, and it's in a not so scenic location right off the I-80/Danville exit, but it is convenient, about three miles from the hospital.

The hot and cold breakfast buffet was satisfactory, offering scrambled eggs, sausage patties, bagels, English muffins, pastries, hot and cold cereals, juices, coffee, fresh waffles, and alternating things like blueberry pancakes or cheese omelets, along with yogurt. They offer a free local paper, and the breakfast area is pleasant with a TV usually tuned to the Weather Channel.

The beds were comfy. The heating unit tends to cycle on and off, and they usually turn off the through the wall unit when the room is unoccupied, but the room heated up quickly for me. There's a nice little selection of toiletries in the bathroom and a good shower.

The place has an indoor pool and hot tub (I think) plus a fitness room, but I didn't have the time or motivation to use these on this trip. I would imagine this would be a good thing for families with kids, though.

Room Tip: If you want a king bed, they're all on the first floor from when I asked.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My little girl had to have a procedue done at Geisinger Medical Center so we decided to come in the night before and stay at this hotel because of the winter weather. Living only an hour from here I didn't have much expectations for a hotel in Danville. Boy, was I suprised! The hotel was exceptionally clean, rooms were very nicely decorated and the staff could not have been nicer to us. The man at the front desk realized that my daughter was looking forward to swimming so he immediately switched our room from the 2nd floor to the room right next to the pool. Made it so much more convenient. He made us aware of all the places to eat and where we could order in from (being that the weather was miserable). He was so friendly and informative. As I said above our room was lovely. Breakfast the next morning was delicious (and complimentary). It was a full hot breakfast. The pool was very nice. Somewhat small but average size for an indoor pool in hotels. The only thing I wish we had was a fridge in our room but I am sure I could have requested one for a small fee so really it was my fault for not asking. I do like when rooms have them but that would certainly not keep me from staying here.

I know that alot of people stay in this area in the summer to go to Knoebels or when they have something at Geisinger Medical Center (which by the way they gave us a cheaper rate due to going to Geisinger and the rate was what they quoted on the phone). I highly, highly recommend this hotel. Plenty of places to eat nearby, easy to get to, and conveniently located.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danville
Red Roof Inn Danville
#2 of 6 in Danville
Comfort Suites Bloomsburg
Comfort Suites Bloomsburg
#5 of 8 in Bloomsburg

Been to Best Western Danville Inn? Share your experiences!