“Great place to stay in Danville!”
Review of Pine Barn Inn

Pine Barn Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Danville
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Over the years, this Inn has lost a bit of its character and has a more corporate feel to it (of little surprise given that neighboring monstrous Geisinger Medical Center now owns it), but it's still meticulously maintained and operated, so I have little complaints. The rooms have always been well appointed and even after re modelings, they remain as such, including with some improvements, such a two lamps on the nightstand and one on the desk, each containing and electrical outlet. Extremely clean. Good shower. Good breakfast (note: not included with rate). Unlike the rest of the hotels that are along the noisy interstate a few miles away, this one is right in the middle of this quiet town, which is greatly preferable, in my opinion. My only complaint has to do with a glass door on the lower floor of the "300 building," which is the main (largest) building. My room was on the lower floor, and at the end of the hallway is a glass door with convenient access to lots of parking spaces, which would be great except for the fact that it's exit only and isn't an entrance, despite the fact that that it's equipped with a keycard reader for entry (see picture). I'm not sure if it was just broken or what during my visit, but with the keycard reader for security, any suggestion by management that it's like that for security purposes would be disingenuous. If safety is a concern around this building (which it's probably not in this quaint little town), then having guest walk around the building at night in a parking lot is probably the more dangerous alternative.

Room Tip: Some rooms have exterior doors and some interior -- if you have a preference, let them know.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
NormanMael, General Manager at Pine Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Thank you, Coasterlink, for your excellent and informative review. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

While I hate to focus on the negative aspect of your review first, I do want you to know that we are working on getting the malfunctioning door lock repaired. Like the noise in your car that disappears when you go in for service, this lock has been an issue since it was installed with our lock upgrade two years ago. We have once again called our lock company to repair or replace the unit, and hope to have it up and running in the very near future.

Again, thank you for your top notch review, and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed here with an organized tour so we had no choice in the room we got. We usually request a room on the upper room. As we had aroom on the lower floor, we must have had the farm animals in the room above as we hears almost constant foot noise above us for most of the night for both nights we stayed there. The motel was clean and near the hospital if that's important to you. It is not located near the expressway so I would choose another motel unless you need to be near the hospital but bring your earplugs.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HonestOpinion1
NormanMael, General Manager at Pine Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay at the Pine Barn Inn. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

I am sorry that you found the room you were in to be noisy. While the Pine Barn Inn sits on a tract of land that was a farm originally deeded out by the family of William Penn, we no longer have animals on our grounds or in our buildings!

While we do not receive comments about noise in the guest rooms on a regular basis, your suggestion about room choice is a good one. We have a diverse selection of room types to choose from, and we do everything possible to meet all of our guests requests.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our family stayed overnight in adjoining rooms. The rooms were nicely decorated, very clean, and had all that was needed for a comfortable, restful overnight stay.

Where everything fell down was with the staff. Base on my interaction with check-in staff and restaurant staff at breakfast, the staff acts as they are there to tolerate you, not to provide a service. Their demeanor is just polite enough as to not be rude. Other facility staff I encounter was just unfriendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank WCA-traveller
NormanMael, General Manager at Pine Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at the Pine Barn Inn. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

For an Inn and Restaurant that prides itself on providing a level of quaint comfort not often found in the chain hotels, I am disappointed to hear that you did not find our staff to be friendly and welcoming. The department heads have been made aware of your comment, and have already discussed with matter within each department. Your note, while unpleasant to hear, is a reminder of how important it is to greet all of our valued guests with a smile and a genuine welcome.

I do appreciate your kind words about our facility. We firmly believe that Pine Barn Inn is the best place to stay in the Danville area and all of Montour County.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I really enjoy staying at the Pine Barn in for the following reasons; staff is very friendly and welcoming; their restaurant is outstanding; the rooms are clean, comfortable, and very quiet; the online reservation wizard is easy to use and you know exactly what type of room you are getting.

I had to visit Geisinger Medical Center early the next morning so it is so convenient to be next door to it.

I found it a little hard to find the place but I was pleasantly surprised with the location. I'm so glad I was not staying in town with all of the traffic and construction.

Room Tip: The website provides pictures and videos of the room types. In addition, the reservation wizard pro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
NormanMael, General Manager at Pine Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

One behalf of the staff at the Pine Barn Inn, thank you so very much for your review. It is greatly appreciated.

Pine Barn is fortunate to have many associates who have been at the property for many years. They understand the needs of the people who are staying with us while visiting Geisinger Medical Center. With our location on the Geisinger Campus, and the free shuttle, we are the best place to stay if you are visiting Geisinger.

Thank you also for the recognition of our restaurant; we consider it to be the best in the area.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Danville.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at the Pine Barn Inn for two nights in September while visiting Knoebels and other sights in the Danville area. We had a bedroom in the 300 wing of the hotel. This wing of rooms is either new or recently refurbished, because everything was new and fresh. Our room was large, with a king bed and two easy chairs. There was a coffee maker in the room, but there was also a pot of complementary coffee near the elevator on the floor below. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet at night.

Other reviewers have remarked on the friendliness of the staff, and I must say that I concur. Everyone we came in contact with, from the desk clerk at check-in and check-out to the wait staff at breakfast and dinner was cheerful and friendly and clearly wanting to be helpful. The housekeeper even left a note after the first night thanking us for the tip that we left.

We had dinner at the hotel’s restaurant both nights, and the food was quite good. The first night I had a steak with something they called Montreal seasoning. I don’t know what is in the seasoning (and they wouldn’t tell me!) but the steak was very good. The seasoning enhanced the flavor of the steak without overwhelming it as other seasonings sometimes can. My wife had the beef tips and they were good, too. (She couldn’t eat all of hers so I got to taste them.) The second night it was raining and we didn’t feel like driving to a restaurant, so we ate at the hotel again. I had lobster ravioli and my wife had salmon. Again both were excellent.

The breakfast menu is standard but the food was well prepared.

We booked the room from the inn’s website and I thought that the price we were charged was very reasonable. Danville is only about 20 minutes from Knoebel’s and is probably the best place to stay if one wants to stay overnight. I would certainly recommend the Pine Barn Inn. The inn is also within walking distance of the Geisinger Medical Center (and in fact is apparently owned by Geisinger) so the inn is also a good choice for someone visiting family or friends in Geisinger.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LanghorneJim
NormanMael, General Manager at Pine Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Jim - thank you for this wonderful review.

It is always sad to see the end of the season at Knoebel's Grove, as we miss the people who stay with us while enjoying the wonderful amusement resort. Pine Barn Inn is the perfect place to stay while visiting Knoebel's or the other attractions in the local area. With our neighborhood location, close to shopping but away from the busy highway, we are the perfect place to rest after a long day. Thank you also for pointing out the quality of our restaurant, which is reasonably priced and offers a wide variety of food from early morning until late in the evening.

Jim, thanks again, and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Happened to stay at Pine Barn Inn while visiting Geisinger Medical Center for a day.
Came to know that the hotel was in the Geisinger campus and has been acquired by the Geisinger management. It helps as the program activities are well coordinated for any person having business with Geisinger Hospital.
The hotel is nice and ..has a main building housing the reception, lobby and the restaurant. The bar and Restaurant was decent and cool, gave a feeling of cozy place to chat on the country side. Most appreciable was the management team. Every member I encountered, right from the receptionist, to the bar tender, to the person serving us food on the dinner table, was very pleasant, smiling and helpful.The food in the restaurant was really delicious.
There are separate buildings housing the rooms, just a few steps from reception. My room had 2 queen beds. It was a good size room, nicely decorated. The upholstery was clean and the beds laid out beautifully. The room was carpeted. The only drawback that I felt once was that when I entered the room for the first time, there seemed to be some mild odor of the carpet. Guess that is usual in carpeted rooms. Felt comfortable after an hour..and i was fine after that. The bathroom was very clean and sparkling, with good quality toiletries and clean towels. Room had a coffee maker. There is also free coffee/ tea available in the lobby.
Negatives...nothing much if I think of.. everything was very smooth, calm and pleasant. But I do believe that people booking the hotel might find the room rates expensive. To tell you the truth, I had a complimentary stay from my company, but If I had to pay myself for the cost of the room which I saw mentioned on the back of the room door, I would have thought twice if I should pay that expensive price to stay in a hotel in a small town in PA. I didn't compare the price with other hotels in the town ( as my room was booked by my company)..I guess since its a small town and limited availability of hotels, the prices are artificially jacked up.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank vin1002

Thank you, Vin1002, for this very positive review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Inn. Many of our associates have been at the Pine Barn for numerous years, and take great pride in the service they provide. When this is combined with with wonderful renovations that our owners have recently completed, this makes the Pine Barn a wonderful place to stay.

I did want to comment that the prices listed on the "back of the door" are maximum prices, and do not reflect the actual price for the room. Our prices are very much in line with the other hotels in the area. A check of our Website or on-line booking sites will show us to be quite competitive.

Thanks again for staying at the Pine Barn Inn.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Moved to the Pine Barn Inn after staying 5 nights at a chain hotel nearby dealing with dirty rooms and a staff and manager who know nothing about treating their guests. We had another 5 nights left in Danville while my father recovered from heart surgery and all I can say is....thank goodness for the Pine Barn Inn! Rooms were cleaned daily and completely and I can't say enough about the staff's willingness to go above and beyond for their guests. In fact, my mother needed to add an extra night's stay and although the same room was not available they made sure she had a new room and even transferred her luggage from one room to the next while she spent the time needed at the hospital...thank you for an Extraordinary Experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert F
NormanMael, General Manager at Pine Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you, Robert F, for the wonderful review.

Every guest who stays with us at the Pine Barn Inn is important to us, but taking care of the patients and families of the patients is what we do the most often. This occasionally requires early check-ins or extended stays, and we do everything we can to meet the guests needs.

We believe that the Pine Barn Inn is the finest facility in the Danville area, and reviews like yours help us prove our point.

Thank you again for staying at the Pine Barn Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Danville
Hampton Inn Danville
The Inn at Turkey Hill
The Inn at Turkey Hill
#2 of 8 in Bloomsburg
Holiday Inn Express Bloomsburg

Been to Pine Barn Inn? Share your experiences!