“Long wait for poor meal.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Metro Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Metro Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Metro Bar and Grill is an award-winning casual eating and drinking establishment in Dallas, Pennsylvania, just outside Wilkes-Barre.Located in a converted silk factory, the space once devoted to the construction of ladies' undergarments is now home to The Metro.Providing craft and fine beers to suit all tastes, The Metro features 24 draft beers, over one hundred bottled, over a dozen wines by the glass (we have the only wine preservation tap system hereabouts), signature martinis, hand-cut steaks, hand-made fresh burgers, fish, pasta, and some of the best chicken dishes you'll find anywhere.All in a casual, relaxed, fun environment. Voted the area's best bar & restaurant, the award-winning Metro Bar and Grill is open Tuesday through Saturday (Sundays in the Summer, Mondays during Football) from four until two, serving dinner until one a.M.
Dallas, Pennsylvania
“Long wait for poor meal.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

My family and I went out to eat Friday evening. We decided on the Metro because it was close to home and we had not been there in a while. I ordered a burger, my wife got two appetizers and my daughter got a steak. We waited almost an hour before we got our meal. The restaurant/bar was not very busy (Not even close to being full). The waitress finally came to our table and said they "Got busy with orders" and that is why our meal was taking so long. When we did get the meal it was poor at best. The highlight of the meal were the fresh cut fries. The waitress obviously did not care to take care of her customers as our glasses were empty and she didn't even offer to fill them when she came out with our meal. It was obvious the waitress did not want to be there and had no pride in her work. My wife still tipped 15% because she felt she had to. Her thought is that we usually tip 20% and that the waitress would get the hint. Hey guys and gals, she was picking up the bill that night, so who was I to protest. In closing, I do not recommend this place to anyone. There are better restaurants in the Back Mountain that would provide better service with a better meal.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Robert R
MetroBarAndGrill, Owner at Metro Bar and Grill, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hi RobertR. Thank you for taking the time to review Metro on TripAdvisor. I am aware that we have had "issues" with consistency in service and food preparation. As a result, we installed a new management team soon after your visit to us. They've made remarkable improvements, as our more recent reviews tend to show, but we know we still have work to so. Soon, it will be patio season -- a great time to check out the improvements and let us know how we've done. I hope you will do that and let me know personally. Thanks & Cheers! -- Tom

Shavertown, Pennsylvania
“Left after waiting over half hour for service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had eaten at this restaurant many times times over the last couple of years, with the more recent visits noticing a decline in quality of both food and service. Two weeks ago we were seated in a mostly empty restaurant. A half hour went by without any acknowledgement from the wait staff, which seemed too busy chatting with each other than serving customers. We will not be back again.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank djstep
Utah
“Disappointing Easter Dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked their Easter buffet which was supposed to run from 11:30 until 4.

The highlight of the meal was the ham, it was delicious, and the gentleman cooking the ham was a nice friendly guy. Now that I got all the good points out of the way, let's get down to business.

Apparently you could get some bread, but you had to know to ask for it in order to get it. As far as the food goes, when they ran out they ran out. Does not matter what you paid, they were not going to replace anything. They were out of sausage. But instead of refill it they just removed the serving spoon and left a sad tray with one piece of sausage. See what they did there? They never ran out so they did not replace the tray. They were down to two slices of pie, but instead of refill it they removed the serving spoon. Are you following the trend here? Nothing was refilled the entire time we were there, which seems odd if the buffet is going to run until 4 and we got there at 1:30. Owner or manager kept checking on the state of the buffet, but was very content with the empty dishes and missing serving spoons.

Not any item on the buffet was really that good anyway, although the stuffed flounder was respectable. However, it would have been nice to have been able to eat what we paid for. The deserts were all pre-bought items, nothing you couldn't get at Sam's Club, despite claims of homemade deserts.

Service was terrible. Dishes not cleared, drinks not refilled. There were only a handful of tables and two servers, and no food to deliver, so none of this was difficult. But it did not matter, as she was getting a good tip regardless, since the owner felt free to tack on an 18% gratuity for this poor service. Keep in mind this was a buffet and there were only 4 of us.

Obviously we will not be returning. Smart money will read all the reviews here before making a decision, but the writing is on the wall for this place.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Master_Tennison
MetroBarAndGrill, Owner at Metro Bar and Grill, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Well, I am pleased that you enjoyed the ham.

I am sorry the remainder of your experience was not what you had hoped.

As far as running out of food, I am very surprised to have that complaint. We replaced all of the buffet items multiple times during the course of the day, including the Kiebasa. Indeed, as we usually do, we had over-prepared and there was so much left at the end that our staff took food home with them. And, I assure you, our chefs did indeed make our desserts from scratch. Bread is not generally served at buffets, but some regulars apparently asked for it and were accommodated. I agree that that should have been offered to everyone.

I am disappointed about the service comments, as we had four servers (not two as the reviewer says), plus bus and kitchen staff. While we had about 100 reservations during the course of the day, we paced it so that each server had at most 2 or 3 tables at a time.

As far as the selection itself, apart from an issue with the temperature of some items when the buffet opened, we received universally complementary comments on the quality of our award-winning food. I regret that it was not to your tastes.

I thank-you for letting us know about your experience and hope that you will reconsider and give us a chance to show you why we have won so many awards over the last 2 1/2 years under the current ownership.
Harding
“Cold Food -- Lousy Service -- Surly Owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We wil NOT be back! I don't know how this place is still in business? Enough said!

As an avid T.A. user, I rely on others reviews when I plan to visit a restaurant that I have never been to before. Word of advice...please TRUST other's reviews....9 out of 10 people can't be just "complainers". Go ahead....scroll down.....I'm not the ONLY one complaining.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank NancyAllan
MetroBarAndGrill, Owner at Metro Bar and Grill, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Cold Food? Lousy Service? No excuse for that and we apologize.

When I took over The Metro, service and quality were the two main complaints that I heard. We have been working to improve both and have made great strides. And that's not only my opinion, but we've won DOZENS of those BEST OF awards over the last couple of years and our reviews have been very much positive on the various public review sites (on this site -- even with its notorious reputation for the plethora of "angry" reviews which they don't monitor, we still rate 4.5 out of 5 overall).

BUT SURLY?! I've been called ALOT of things, but surly isn't one that I hear very much. I don't recall Nancy or her cold food problems. I do note that her visit was apparently about a month before she posted the review -- but I'd certainly recall an angry encounter with a guest -- since that so very rarely happens. Perhaps I had a bad night and was not as outwardly gracious as I need to be and if that were the case, then I very much regret that.

Tom Ford, Proprietor
Metro Bar and Grill
Forty Fort, Pennsylvania, United States
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were there on a Saturday night at about 9pm. It took at least 45 minutes to get our wings, and they were ice cold. We could have handled the long wait, but also getting them cold was ridiculous.

• Visited September 2012