“There is not a better place in North America to enjoy Railroading at i's best.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Station Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cresson
The Station Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Cresson B&B and Inns
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

I am an avid railfan that has found what in my opinion is the finest place to stay to get away and enjoy some big time mountain railroading. Owner Tom Davis and his staff make you feel wecome and at home when you arrive and during your stay. I have made 8 trips to the Station Inn during past 6 years or so and I look forward to the next trip anxiously. It is always difficult to leave and say goodbye.

The Inn itself is cozy and comfortable. It is a "no frills" B&B without TV's, hottubs and phones in the room...but at the same time it is just perfect. The front porch is always ready for you to sit down and watch the parade of trains roll by anytime of the day or night. If you enjoy trains and railroading at all...this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Rockville MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

I have been to The Station Inn many times,
Spotlessly clean--Great atmosphere--Great Breakfasts.
Lots of trains and the centerpiece place to stay for
"Railfanning" in that area.
I have a done some videos on Utube-- to watch and see for yourself.-
Around Our Neighborhood Parts 1-9
Life After Horseshoe Curve..
There is nothing better than sitting on the porch, watching trains go by, and just listening to other railfans--ya can learn a lot.
Bert.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

We had the most wonderful, relaxing 3 days that I can remember. Sitting on that big front porch waiting for the trains to come to you is great. I thought my husband was a 'train nut', but he's an amateur compared to most of the people we met while there.

Train enthusiasts are a friendly bunch and we met some really nice ones. Tom and Sandy are great and the breakfasts definitely did not leave anyone hungry. There was fruit, cookies, pretzels and drinks available all day also. The free internet was definitely a plus. While the men watched and talked trains, I sat on the front porch with my laptop keeping in touch with friends.

My biggest fear was that we would not be able to sleep for 3 nights with all the trains. But we did very well. After a while, you don't even hear them.

You feel very much at home at the Station Inn. If there is anyone in your family that loves trains, this is the perfect place to stay. It was sad to leave cause I felt like I had found some long lost 'cousins'.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Cookham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

If you like trains and friendly innkeepers!! :-) I felt right at home here...Tom made me feel very welcome and cooks a mean breakfast as well!! Definitely highly recommended if you are in the Cresson / Horseshoe Curve area - just be aware that if you don't like trains, then you probably won't like this place as they go by frequently and are not the quietest of beasts! But then, I slept like a log in the comfortable beds, lulled to sleep by the passing locomotives :-)

Will definitely be visiting here again!! This is a must-stay place for any railfan!

P.S. There is a resident cat, so if you are allergic, please contact Tom first. But if you like cats you will find he is the friendliest tabby in the USA! (and he loves his food!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Hilton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

This was my 10+ trip to this wonderful location. My Dad, who accompanies me for most of these, has been a 2+ visit per year lodger since it opened.

The obvious difference between this B&B and others is the “not so silent partner” that frequently generates noise and occasionally generates rumbles through the windows. Having said that, one can still sleep at night even through that- Just ask some of the non-rail fans who accompany their partners to this place!

The Station Inn is unpretentious, comfortable if not elegant, and clean with good breakfasts, and a trio of hard-working folks to make ones stay a nice experience. Tom, Sandy, and Kathy have made the Station Inn a place where every railroad enthusiast (and their partners) should spend a night at least once in their lifetime while visiting this landmark area of eastern US railroad history.

• Stayed January 2009
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

My friends an I wanted a quick road trip through Pennsylvania last weekend (July 19-20) and after trying (unsuccessfully)to find a place in Altoona, we drove over to The Station Inn. I have to admit, I am a mild rail fan, and I had checked out the website many times, I knew what to expect, but my 2 friends, well let's just say they didn't sleep terribly well. It's true what Thomas the #1 railfan and proprietor said, "One thing we have lots of, trains", he forgot to say great rates, warm hospitality, and although we didn't stay, a rib stickin' breakfast. His porch is a comfortable place to put up your feet and enjoy a complimentary beverage (don't get that at the Hilton). Lots of freight NS with a few old Conrail engines, diesels working hard, helpers flying back to pick up another heavy freight. Anyway, a very clean 3 bed room (Western Maryland), great hot shower, nice plush towels and a help yourself attitude towards the cookies, the pop and candies. Wish I could have stayed a few more nights. Too bad the non-believers I was with had to get back to work. Have a great time at The Station Inn, you'll find Thomas will leave the light on.

• Liked — Clean, friendly, great trains
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

I was in Cresson on a business trip and booked the Station Inn. What a wonderful place. It was more like the Missionary Guest House in Manila than the Hyatt Regency, but that means that guests are given the owners personal touch. Good conversation at breakfast, which here means mostly about Rail related topics. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well kept. There is no smoking indoors, but it is allowed on the front porch. Non smokers that don't want to hide in their room, can watch trains from the common room if the smoke is too much.

The focus of the reading material is trains. There are no televisions or phones in the rooms, and no need for them either. With a high number of trains coming through, there is plenty to watch. If you are looking for a quiet B&B, the Station Inn is not for you. You don't need a scanner to know when the next train is about to pass.

If you want to see trains, no need to go anywhere, they come to you. If you want to see the Horseshoe Curve and other famous Rail related sites, they are close by. When you come back, you can rest on the comfortable bed in your room, or watch trains go by from one of the many choices of chairs.

For my trip I was able to do my work, and get some great railfanning time.

The Station Inn at one time houses train crews and is directly across the street from the site of the Cresson train station. Each of the rooms is decorated with items from a different railroad. My guest room was on the main floor. I did not go to any of the upstairs rooms.

While I was there I only met Tom and Sandy, and they are great hosts. They have arranged discounts with other businesses within walking distance, so you have options for lunch and dinner without getting out of sight of the tracks.

If you are a rail fan, don't miss this place.

• Liked — Trains
  • Disliked — having to come home at the end of my stay
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cresson
Quality Inn
Quality Inn and Suites
Quality Inn and Suites
#5 of 7 in Johnstown
Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Station Inn? Share your experiences!