“Relax on the long porch.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Station Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cresson
The Station Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Cresson B&B and Inns
Dushore, Pennsylvania, United States
“Relax on the long porch.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

OK, I am a train lover and I went to the Station Inn expressly (no pun intended) to watch as many as I could. This, courtesy of my wife as a birthday present. In fact, this was our second visit. Each time the experience was similar. The rooms are railroad themed and comfortable. Breakfast is served family style and there is much more on the table than anyone can eat. There are also snacks, candies, cookies, and soda provided free of charge throughout the day. Sandy and Tom are very friendly and make you feel that you could take your shoes off and sit a while. In fact, you could. But the best part is the long porch where you can sit hours on end and converse with fellow ferroequinologists while watching many,many trains. I find it as relaxing as sitting at the beach. There are also many other rail-fan attractions nearby. I hope to enjoy many more visits. If you like trains and a casual relaxed atmosphere you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Halethorpe, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

While I certainly love trains I do have to admit that this past weekend I met several folks that were far more "hardcore" railfans than I! This is a very quaint place in a very quaint town. Unfortunately we were only able to stay one night but it was a very, very cool experience for many reasons. First, the other railfans there couldn't have been any more welcoming to my fiance and I and we shared lots of laughs and information hanging out on the porch (I learned a lot from these folks and made some new friends). Second, the staff was very accommodating showing us around and giving us the insights to the town. Third, the porch is set up very well for both serious railfanning as well as for relaxing too. There are ample chairs (mostly rockers and one glider - I was partial to the glider!!), electric for devices, tables, ceiling fans, and space! Fourth, the breakfast was very good! Fifth, the rooms, despite not having A/C, did remain cool (thanks for the fans that certainly helped with getting a good night sleep - at least in between trains roaring by!). The room appointments were simple but comfortable. Last, and certainly not least was the rail action.... it won't disappoint! We observed lots of trains and in just one day we saw 2 trains that had heritage units! What a treat!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim M
Georgetown, DE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Station Inn is a unique place unlike any other. Almost exclusively populated by older male rail buffs, it is interesting in and of itself as I have not seen anyplace quite like it. No a/c, no TV, but wi fi. Community breakfast settings with eggs, yogurt, pastry, cake, and freshly cut fruit as well as breakfast meats. Outside beer and food market within a block. Most of downstairs is like a museum with rail magazines, photos, and rail artifacts - impressive are articles and reviews featuring the establishment and owner Tom from the Wall St. Journal, the Washington Post, the New York Times,and other lesser known newspapers. A refrigerator for your use at the top of the stairs. Caution! there is an air horn from a locomotive on the porch that enthusiasts can sound at passing trains - the horn cought me off guard and my ears were not the same for a half hour. My wife, hardly a rail fan, said sitting on the front porch watching the the town folk, trains, and whatever was a delightful experiencel.

Room Tip: All rooms but the Erie are in the front of the hotel with views of the street and tracks. The Erie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarlofDelaware
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Station Inn was a place that my parents took me as a surprise after the school year. I am a big time RAILFAN and this was a dream come true! I thought I died and went to Heaven! The place was clean and well kept. The Inn is over a century old and the owners have done a great job keeping it up. There is no air conditioning, but even in the summer, the nights are cool enough that my Dad and I had to buy sweatshirts! I have never seen so many trains go by in one single spot.
The food was delicious, even for a picky eater like me. Tom & Sandy were great hosts. Tom even let me blow the train horn that was on the porch. It was great to see and meet other railfans from Canada and had great time there.
I Will be back sometime in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GP382NJ
Hampstead, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband would be a permanent guest if he could! Take a big porch with rocking chairs and put it next to a busy train tract and call it the Station Inn or HEAVEN for a rail fan! Wonderful spot! Rooms are simple but clean. Breakfasts are amazing!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Nancy968
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Thank you again Tom & Sandy for hosting us. Such a great place to really get away and enjoy the trains like you cannot anywhere else! From your bedroom, the front porch and all the special spots nearby. Horseshoe Curve is always a must. Breakfast is YUM!
If you are a railfan...do not miss this trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fromnorthernewjersey
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Three of us stayed here last weekend. What a wonderful experience at The Station Inn. Great people, awesome accommodations, and good food. The room was well kept, clean, fresh paint, stocked with numerous towels, soaps, coffee and bedding. I was pleasantly surprised with the up keep of the Inn for being over a century old! The staff at the Inn is friendly and wonderful to talk to. Sitting on the front porch and watching the trains go by is a great way to spend the days and nights along with talking among the other rail fans. There are numerous rail fan areas close by including Horseshoe Curve and Altoona. Highly recommended B&B for anyone including non-rail fans that might be in the area. We will be heading back to Cresson for another stay at The Station Inn, You will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the track side for an all night view! Remember, trains are loud and mi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vancena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cresson
Quality Inn
Quality Inn and Suites
Quality Inn and Suites
#5 of 7 in Johnstown
Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Station Inn? Share your experiences!