“Railroad History”

Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Cresson
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience railroad history at this historic Pennsylvania site.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is another one of those places I have visited from the time I was a child. Great place. You can picnic or take hikes here. Great place for walking. Beautiful scenery

1  Thank Mary N
"engineering feat"
"transportation history"
"westward expansion"
in 2 reviews
"the national park service"
in 5 reviews
in 22 reviews
"nice walk"
"horseshoe curve"
in 8 reviews
"piece of american history"
"small museum"
"beautiful park"

Reviewed September 24, 2012

When I read about this site I thought it would be a good something to do to take up a bit of time and that it would be interesting but kinda like a lot of the heritage sites I've seen before. Well I was partly right.

I didn't really understand what this was about until I got here and watched their informative film on the subject in the Visitor's Center before walking out to the actual site. It turns out that this railroad was only partly a railroad. It starts with people wanting to build a canal across Pennsylvania and running into mountains in the middle. This railroad was their solution to getting canal boats over mountains and it's kinda crazy but it worked! They used canal boats that were sectional, tied them to train cars and used train engines to pull the cars up the inclines of the mountains until they reached a plateau, then actual trains pulled them to the next incline. What a concept!. The Visitor's Center has a train engine inside it and some models of canal boats and a small gift shop.

When you leave the gift shop you can walk down a zig zaggy boardwalk to a replica of engine house #6 which is built overtop the foundation of the original engine house. It has an exhibit center with some hands on things that show the ropes used on the cars, a braking system and some other things. Also down the boardwalk is a historic tavern. You can only go in the bottom floor but the tavern with tables and games and a bar is recreated.

It was a very nice site and I'm glad that this has been commemerated somehow. People really are incredible sometimes! There is a fee of $4 per person (but if you have a National Park Senior Pass ($10) that person plus 3 others got in free. Whoo-Hoo! We did leave a donation though.) The bathrooms in the Visitor Center were very nice and the building itself was pretty outside.

2  Thank Laurel_Lye13
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This historic site is a comfortable way to spend some time, especially if you're interested in transportation and the way people lived during the mid-1800s.

1  Thank 2dBill22
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I taught fourth grade for many years. In social studies, the children (and I) learned about the Allegheny Portage Railroad...but I had learned so little! It wasn't until I visited the national park that I was clear on the facts. The books do not mention the system generally used for getting the barges up the mountain; instead, they only mentioned the horses that pulled the cars holding the barges. I discovered upon my visit that the horses were only used the the huge pulley system was down. The ranger (wearing period clothing) was knowlegeable.and pleasant. I snapped lots of photos and shared them with the fourth graders. If possible, fourth-grade teachers in the state should take their students there. I also recommend the park for families with school-age children. By the way, the tavern is lovely. If it were still serving, I imagine that the park would receive many more visitors!

2  Thank standardsandjazz