“Mixed Experience - trip advisor let me down”
Review of Sand Spring Restaurant - CLOSED

Sand Spring Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: PA Route 390/191
Description: Sand Spring will be closed for the winter of 2014. Check back in the spring and see what we have in store! Since opening in the fall of 2010, Sand Spring Modern Cuisine has been making its mark as one of the more unique dining experiences in the Pocono Mountain region. Sand Spring specializes in innovative cuisine with fresh, flavorful ingredients from local purveyors in a fun, casually elegant setting. Our exceptional food is complimented with superior, attentive service and one of the area's largest wine cellars. In addition to our fine dining menu we offer a unique bar menu highlighting smaller plates setting us apart from traditional restaurants. After a day of shopping or golfing or you just aren't hungry enough for a larger meal, we've got something for you.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Mixed Experience - trip advisor let me down”
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Was in the Pocono area, looking for a nice place for a birthday dinner. Researched the area and this seemed to be one of the best in the area. Upon arriving, we had to find a spot to squeeze the car, as the lot is pretty small and was full. Went inside and thought it seemed nice, but not as upscale of an interior as I would expect for "fine dining". We were seated at a small table in the room that is open to/facing the bar area. From here I will break it down into sections.

SERVICE: very slow, although i think this was the fault of the kitchen and bar, our server was nice enough. We waited for several minutes after being seated to be greeted and have our drink order taken. We then waited for another 10-15 minutes for our drinks. I think our server has some system that he liked to follow, because he did not come back to take our order until after the drinks arrived at the table. I guess that would be ok normally, except now we have been here for 20 mins or so and are feeling ignored and hungry. Although to his credit, he did comp our drinks at the end of the night for 2 reasons, 1 that they took so long to come out and 2 since this was a birthday meal I guess they would have comped desert, but we passed. The only other thing that stood out was, our server was talking to a busser/food runner about our table (who was supposed to get what) and he actually pointed at us. I have never had a server point at me.

AMBIANCE: as stated above decor was nice, but not upscale. It looks way nicer on the website. My biggest bone to pick is with the so called "entertainment". There was a young woman singing in the bar and she was awful. There was no band, no piano, she was sitting on a stool, with another stool next to her with a laptop, so she was basically singing some awful karaoke. As we were facing the bar, we were facing her and her speakers. She finally took a break right as we were leaving.

FOOD: this was the biggest disappointment. I can overlook things if the food is great and this was just ok at more than ok prices. We ordered 2 apps, the fried tomato salad and a tempura shrimp. The salad was tasty but strange, as it was fried red tomatoes, I was expecting green. The shrimp were good as well but it seemed something was missing from the dish. It was just a couple shrimp and a piece of lettuce. Not really fine dining.... Before we were finished with our apps, the entrees arrived. there was no pacing to this night whatsoever, which should be a hallmark of a fine dinning establishment. For our entrees, I got a Kobe beef special and my wife ordered their house special rack of lamb with house made lamb sausage from a nearby farm. My steak was cooked properly and was good although I didn't think it was as good as I have had at nicer steakhouses. My wife's dinner seemed off, just like my app had. Her plate came out with 4 tiny lollipops, not a rack, and had the sausage broken up in a tomato broth with a ton of diced green peppers all over the dish. There was no side starch or vegetable. It seemed like something was missing. The lamb and sausage were good but the bell pepper overtook the dish.

All in all it was a good meal, but it did not meet our expectations. This is the first time I have been let down by trip advisor.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank DrKnate

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Sand Spring on Easter-Eve”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited the Sand Spring for dinner and enjoyed the meal thoroughly. The restaurant had a nice selection of "upgraded wines" by the glass, which was a wonderful surprise, as finishing a whole bottle was not the works given the windy road we would be taking back to our hotel. We sampled the wedge salad, the foie gras, the papardelle app and eggplant parm. All were excellent, and the homemade pasta was a real treat. Desserts were also tasty. One comment on pricing - the $26 price tag on the eggplant parma seemed a bit excessive while other prices were more in line with the tourist area. Our waiter was very pleasant and accommodating. It was rather odd that the owner visited every other table but ours to exchange pleasantries and ask about the food...he clearly knew the other guests from previous encounters. You would think he might want to welcome some first timers to his restaurant, but alas he did not.

Visited March 2013
Clinton, Connecticut
“Spotty but worth a shot”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The first time we went was wonderful if over priced. We were still happy because we finally had a decent meal in the Poconos. Alas, the 2nd time was not good and when it is expensive you really resent it. What makes it worse is when the over talkative manager inquires as to why you do not ant to take home the food and you tell him they do not try to rectify it and charge you full price. I tried the restaurant again with a friend and it was great but on a return with my husband again the food was terrible. I have a real pet peeve with all these new pretentious restaurants in our area that are charging out of sight prices with mediocre cafe food.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Patricia M
Marknb, Owner at Sand Spring Restaurant, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
I am sorry you have not experienced consistency at our restaurant. Consistency in the quality of product is the most important factor in any business, the restaurant business in particular.

In order for us to improve I would love to know what items you had at our restaurant that were not up to snuff, please email me personally at mark@sandspringdining.com. We don't want to see anyone leave our restaurant unhappy and that clearly is what happened here. I'd very much appreciate it if you would reach out to me and I'll do my best to make things right.

Mark Reinhardt
Chef/Owner
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
“Great Restaurant to Stumble On”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I stumbled on the Sand Spring during a recent trip to the Poconos and we loved our meal. He got the steak and I got the salmon - both were fantastic. The service was great, too. It was a nice place to celebrate our anniversary - what a gem!

• Visited September 2012
wallenpaupack
“finally, another great place to eat.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had driven past Sandspring a few times waiting to see the construction finished... finally when I got a chance to dine there, I was pleasantly surprised with the changes and new decor. The atomosphere, service, food and laughter from other patrons having a great time make this place a new frequent stop for me.

• Visited September 2012