“Nice hotel after driving all day”

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I'd originally booked the nearby Hampton Inn but changed to the Garden Inn as the Hampton Inn's fitness center was closed for renovations. I was not disappointed. The room was a very good value for the price paid -- minifridge and microwave in the room so that I could have heated something up if I wanted to. The bath had only a shower; fine for me as I prefer showers but you might ask if there are rooms with tubs if you prefer baths. Free in-room WiFi is a nice plus as well. I'm not a small person and can rarely get hotel towels to go all the way around me (so I can tuck them in) but I can do so with these towels. There were plenty of them too, which I also appreciated. Rooms and common areas were spotless.

The pool was very nice and spotless as well. The hot tub is small, but big enough for a few people. It's deep enough that I could sit on the bench and have the bubbles come up to my shoulders without hunching down.

I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant because I didn't feel like driving even the few hundred yards to the closest restaurant. There was a good variety of offerings on the menu -- appetizers to full meals -- and all were fairly priced. Service was very good. The hotel breakfast was a good deal for the full cooked breakfast, and the server made a special effort to find hot chocolate for me. As another reviewer mentioned, the hotel has complimentary coffee/tea out in the lobby, and cookies in the afternoon/evening.

The only recommendation I'd have is that the hotel add directions from the Pennsylvania Turnpike to its webpage. I tried to extrapolate from the I-79 directions but realized quickly that there was an "extra" road in-between the Turnpike and I-79 (I took a guess and made the correct turn). Call the hotel before you leave if you aren't sure of directions.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
TJassel, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Good morning!

Thank you for your response and your kind words! I truly appreciate the time you took to say such nice things about our hotel. I'm glad you made your way here, and hope that on your next journey I have the chance to meet you.

Best Regards!

direct: 724-779-8640

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We traveled to Pittsburgh to see the Steelers play and chose this hotel because it was new ... It was a lovely hotel with beautiful lobby and the rooms were nicely set up with all the amenities you could need. The beds were out of this world comfortable!!!!!!
My only complaint and the reason it didn't get a 5 was that you could hear the room next door conversations the walls were soo thin. The women next to my room made a phone call at 6 am which woke me up and I could almost hear it word for word...if you are going to build a hotel that is so nice why wouldn't you soundproof it better..it is a puzzle to me???? I am sure we weren't the best neighbors the night before as we ( a group of 7) partied in one room...sorry if you were our neighbors.
All in all a very nice hotel, just hope you get quiet neighbors :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Good afternoon!

I'm so glad you found us and had such a great stay. We'd love to be your newhome in Cranberry Township. I'm sorry you had noise issues, but I can promise that we will address them. Should anything disrupt your next stay, call or e-mail me directly to take care of the problem for you.

direct: 724-779-8640

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Open only a few months, this is a very attractive hotel, with a water wall feature in the lobby, and welcoming public spaces. The refreshment table is very welcome after exiting the interstate, to which it is handy. The desk staff are professional, super-helpful, and attentive.
Room was attractive, spotless, and with stylish bathroom with walk-in shower. We dined in, and enjoyed fresh, well-prepared dishes. Bar and serving staff were friendly, relaxed and attentive to any request. Breakfast is either full-serve or 'continental', but the latter offers very few choices, and for guests needing to hit the road, this can be a challenge. The servers are so friendly, however, that taking your time would be a good choice! We will definitely make this our 'go-to' in PA.

Room Tip: If you prefer a room with no adjoining door, specify that at check-in.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
TJassel, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Good evening!

I'm so happy that we are your new Hot Spot in Cranberry Township! I LOVE our showers, and good tip for anyone else reading, keep your bathroom door closed so the shower stays super hot because it is ultra modern and does not have a door.

I think I'm most thrilled that you had such wonderful things to say about our food and beverage team! They continue to grow and develop, and every week I'm watching service and quality improve.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I will most certainly pass along to my team!

tiffany.jassel@hilton.com

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The staff were really incredibly pleasant and attentive. We found the hotel to be very comfortable, clean and conveniently located. I'm always worried about getting a good night sleep, but the bed was great. It was our first time staying at this hotel chain, but sought them out on the rest of our trip.

• Stayed: October 2012

Good evening!

Thank you so much for writing about our hotel! Our team is phenomenal, and I am thankful for them everyday. Thank you for identifying how great they were. It means the world to all of us.

Tiffany Jassel
tiffany.jassel@hilton.com

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Kinda hard to find this place as it is not listed in the Garmin maps yet by address or name. You can see it once off the Interstate and I just drove around til finding the right road leading up to it. The hotel itself is very nice, and if facing the right way some nice views.

We had little interaction with the hotel staff outside of check in, but they seemed very nice. Getting up to our floor, we were greeted with two large cleaning carts taking up most of the hallway and two large piles of dirty linens/towels laying on a pile right on the hallway carpet. That was pretty nasty smelling and I would have thought they would use a bin or bag to store vs just throwing on the hallway carpet.

The room itself was comfortable, beds/linens very comfortable. Bathroom was very clean and towels in there nice and soft and large.

Late in the evening the people in the rooms next to us must have come back in as we could hear there conversations almost as if they were in our room with us. Luckily they quieted down by a decent time and we had a good nite sleep.

We did not partake of the breakfast, and also did not get the newspaper which Hilton is typically known for. The bar downstairs look nice but we did not visit there or the restaurant during this visit.

I am happy with this hotel as they allowed us to use a combination of Hilton points and cash to pay vs all points or full price. This is one of the few Hilton hotels that offered this special. Also the hotel has dozens of good restaurants and variety of foods available within minutes. There is also a lot of shopping close by. If we are traveling in the area again, I would check availability here first.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
TJassel, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Good afternoon,

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write a review about our property. I'm sorry you had trouble locating us, but very appreciative that you did! We're crossing our fingers that the map and satellite issues are addressed quickly, but in the meantime have added notations saying "Please call the hotel for directions" on our Hilton website and our management company's website. Hopefully that helps anyone at least booking online.

Next time you're here, you must try the restaurant! I know you said you did not partake on your last trip, but on your next trip a dining experience at the Garden Grill and Bar will be on us! My e-mail address is tjassel@vistahost.net, and my direct line is 724-779-8640.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just stayed for the second time and again there are no newspapers at this hotel. Can't get one at check-in in the evening and by 8 AM for breakfast they are all gone. The desk clerk sent me searching all the elevator lobbies in vain for a newspaper to enjoy with breakfast, no luck. This is some new Hilton policy to drastically reduce newspapers I guess. Also had to wait for 10 minutes to check in while the desk clerk was on the phone and the manager searched for someone else who knew how to check people in. The bar at night was nice but a charge for food that I didn't order showed up on my bill. They removed it promptly at check out. Also the breakfast area was so crowded I couldn't get a seat. They seem to be pinching pennies a little too much at this new hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
TJassel, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Good evening!

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted by our lack of physical newspapers on property, and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of informing our guests of our new digital news outlet. All guests of the property can access complimentary 24-hour access to customized digital content from a leading global news provider, and in the future even if a physical paper is lacking, I'd be happy to print a copy of the digital paper for your reading during breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Please accept our apology for this inconvenience and know that our team will be better informed of this new amenity moving forward.

The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area, I hope that you will be our guest again – thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

(GPS still not finding the hotel) and directions on their site do steer you to the Courtyard by distance.

We stayed for 2 nights and had booked 2 rooms several weeks or a month in advance. We were out all day sightseeing and shopping. We returned late in the evening to our rooms and settled in for the night. Room 511 was perfect, great bed, very clean, nice new hotel in a very convenient location. I’d kill for a Hilton bed at home.
Room 512; I suspect must be under the main A/C unit/Heating System on the roof or something. I would imagine no vibration pads were used. It was like trying to sleep beside a jet getting ready to take off on a runway. We waited around for a while to see if it got better, checked the hallway, checked if a bathroom fan was left on, checked room 511, all had no noise. Just room 512. I called the desk, got put on hold. When the girl came back to the phone she said someone would come up. They came they listened and when prompted they us another room on the same floor. In Pajamas late in the evening we moved rooms.

We again tried to settle down for the night, look for pay for view to watch with family from down the hall in 511. We picked up the phone to call the desk about finding pay for view, and our two room phones did not work. So get dressed, go down to the front desk ask if we could have a working phone. This time for the phones 2 people came, a security guard and the girl from the desk. They checked the phones which did not work and took them to our old room and switched them with the new ones. Yay they worked. They were kind and apologetic, and this time when prompted they gave us an on the house breakfast.
Besides the issues we were very comfortable there, and pleased with the quiet room and very comfortable bed. I am just very surprised they are still trying to place people in room 512 when they were all very aware of the noise problem.
Yes we are long time hilton rewards members. We sure didn’t drive from Toronto to try to sleep with that wicked noise.

Room Tip: pretty clear, NOT 512
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tuesdaysgone
TJassel, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Good morning!

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm very sorry you experienced noise issues in room 512. Though I am very happy the rest of your experience was pleasant (dispute the phones!). I can't ask for anything more than for my team to be empathetic and gracious throughout any issue that arises, and I'm glad they handled yours well.

I hope you choose our facility during your next visit and would love to invite you back for a seamless, peaceful stay from the start ON US. Please contact me via e-mail if you are planning another trip to Cranberry Township.

Rest assured that the noise issues related to room 512 were addressed. One call to our mechanical installation team (MechTech) solved half of the noise issues with a solution almost as simple as the flick of a switch. Also our faulty phones were sent in this week to be replaced per the 5 year warranty we have on them. Had you not reported they weren't working, we may not have known for quite a while. Thank you so much for identifying that problem.