“Probably a 3-1/2 star rating...”

Pittsburgh Marriott North
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed two nights while in town for a baseball tournament. This isn't one of the higher end Marriotts, but served our needs. The staff was excellent. Very nice front desk staff. Also had to utilize maintenance once with a problem in the room, and he was wonderful! Location is great...you have everything from Target to Dick's Sporting Goods to Starbucks and many eating locations right across the street. Lobby was nice, there was a pool, rooms were nice and clean, and bed was very comfy. We were also given free wifi. I'll admit that I'm a picky traveler, and so there were a few things that bothered me. When we checked into our room, there were wet washcloths left behind in the shower. Yuck. I also didn't like that I couldn't easily plug in my phone at my bedside. Also thought it a bit odd that the coffeemaker, which I didn't use, was located in the bathroom. Sorta grossed me out. I also found the temperature in the room to be tough to control. I seemed to be hot all of the time. Housekeeping was also quite loud in the morning. I was near a service elevator and was woken both mornings at 5am by loud banging and moving around. Make sure you don't get a room near one of the service elevators. I didn't use the restaurant, but others on our team did and said it was good. There's also a small Starbucks counter in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Kristofer C, General Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

TravelerMom0 thank you very much for staying with us recently and for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We were very happy to hear the great words about the staff and some of the items that you did enjoy in your stay. We were saddened to hear about the condition of the room upon arrival as well as the noises from the elevator at 5 am. I certainly will have security look into this situation as our staff does not arrive until much later in the morning. Please if there is any other information or anything else we can do let us know. We hope you come back and give us a 5 star rating soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here while attending baseball games in pittsburgh. Easy twenty minute drive into the city. We had a ground floor room, I was a little concerned since there was a big wedding going on but the room was quiet. Workout room was well equipped and they had a nice pool. We paid a little extra for a good breakfast and wifi. (When will hotels stop this wifi nonsense?) the hotel was definitely upscale when comparing to the " Hampton inn's". Quiet rooms, good breakfast, plenty of parking, spacious lobby area = very good stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
PittsMarriottAGM, General Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for staying with us recently and I hope your team got a good win while with us. We are certainly very proud of our team and facilities and am glad that you were able to enjoy it over the weekend. Please if there is ever anything we can do to help you out let us know.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Only got to spend one night there to host a workshop at the hotel in the morning. The room was clean and cool, the staff--every single staff we interacted with, was above and beyond friendly from the second we walked in until we left. We were very happy with our stay, and even better the facility to host our workshop. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Wow thank you so much for the amazing review. We are so happy you stayed with us and glad you were able to share your feedback. We hope you have many other workshops with us soon. If there is anything we can do for you please let us know.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stopped at this hotel by chance on a drive to Florida this August. It was a Saturday night and the rate was $129. We loved the hotel (I had my husband and 2 teenagers with me). Front desk was extremely courteous and helpful and made check in "fun" for our first night on the road. The pool was great - it was very warm and best yet, it was open until 11:00 so we could all blow off some steam after the long car ride. We all left the next day saying "what a fantastic hotel, we'll be sure to stay on the way home".

On the way home, we did stop back. We were looking forward to a fun last night of the trip. The kids were really looking forward to a swim, and I was looking forward to a clean comfortable hotel. This was a Thursday night. Imagine my shock when the front desk clerk let me know that the rate was over $200 for the Thursday night!! I mentioned that we had stayed a week ago for far less and the reply was that it was a business hotel and rates were higher through the week. Needless to say, we left and stayed elsewhere as Disneyworld hotels on Disney property cost less money.

It was very clear we were not business travellers as my teens always accompany me to the desk. Here is my question to management: You could have sold the room for the night at the $129 rate and had customers for life. Your hotel was not sold out. Instead we walked, so you did not sell the room at any rate thus making no profit from us and it's honestly left such a sour taste, that I would have difficulty returning on any night of the week. How does this benefit either the hotel or the customer?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and for the wonderful words about your stay at the hotel. I am sorry for the information on the stay back for the 2nd time. We do vary our rates according to many items like day of week or time of the year. It so happened on your way back you stopped by on a night which we were almost full for the evening and ended up being full that night. I do apologize for the inconvenience of not knowing that ahead of time however please feel free to call us anytime and we will be happy to provide costs at that moment throughout the year. Thank you again for the great information about your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stay here for business when we come to town and that's quite often. We've stayed at several hotels in the area and this is by far my favorite. I love my nice room, the lobby, the starbucks counter, the bar, the area's to hang and work in the lobby, and the service. It's a bit pricey for the area but for us it's worth it because the alternatives around it are not very good. They have a very nice buffet breakfast. It used to be better but I guess they have cut back on budget.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Kristofer C, General Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you so much for the kinds words about your stay. No question we are always happy to hear the great things. It especially warms my heart when I hear kind things about service. I did see your not about the buffet however and am wondering which options or choices that you had enjoyed in the past as certainly we can look at bringing some of those items back. Please if there is ever anything we can do for you let me know and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was very excited to get away for the weekend and I wanted to stay at a hotel around the Pittsburgh area and I chose the marriot Cranberry because past reviews seemed like it was a good idea. Well, I thought wrong. Although the room I had stayed in was clean, the service was horrible. I am a young college graduate and everyone there just stared and acted like they were "too good" to greet me. My friend and I ate at the restaurant there. It took almost a half hour just to have the waiter come over and give us drinks. We actually had to go over to the bar and let someone know that we needed waited on. The food was disgusting and for two people, our bill was over $80 which I thought was pricey for the quality or (lack of) quality of food. The next morning, the breakfast was even worse. Same thing - it took almost fifteen minutes just to be waited on. Once waited on, we had three different waitresses (none of which were welcoming and friendly). I was also overcharged for my bill and I decided to call about it (which I never normally would, but given the overall experience, I felt the need to) and they assured me that I wasn't overcharged, but I bet one of the waitresses changed the numbers because we had left a low tip. I also called to complain and they promised they would call back a day or two at most later and it took almost a week. I guess I wasn't worthy of their time. They also had a different manager called me back which I thought was suspicious. They think I'm stupid or something, like I don't get that they are just trying to put the blame on anybody else. Regardless, after apologizing about the service, the manager said that we could come back and have a "complimentary" drink or breakfast. I actually laughed and said, thanks but no thanks. I have so much more I could say, but I'm actually angry writing this. Overall, I would never go back and I would suggest the same. Spent over $300 in less than 12 hours. Could've done way cooler things than spend my night in a hotel that claims they give great experience, even though they could care less about their customers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Bridget I appreciate your candid response and feedback about your stay. I was very dissapointed to see what happened with your experience while with us and even more that we could not satisfy you with your experience even afterwards. I understant this situation has left a black mark with you experience in our company however I would love the opportunity to right what was wronged with your stay. We have attempted to reach out and contact you again however had not had the luck. Please feel free to let me know what else I can for you for now and the future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Had a really nice time here with my family the concierge was very nice and snacks and breakfast were ok. Pool was nice. The only thing is compared to the other marriotts it's about 10 years old and is not as updated as most of the others.

• Stayed: August 2013
Kristofer C, General Manager at Pittsburgh Marriott North, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you very much for the great words especially about the concierge staff. We are lucky to have the best team in the business and glad you were able to enjoy your time with them. I also want you to know we are in the middle of discussions and planning for a rennovation to take place in the next year and half and I know you will like some of the upgrades and changes that will occur to modernize the hotel. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.