“Nice place, good food, good value”
Review of Chen's

Chen's
Cuisines: Chinese
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Nice place, good food, good value”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Lots of things for the kids to see- fish tanks, statues, pond, bridge etc. food very reasonably priced and tasty. Staff is attentive and caring. They seem to provide special attention to children which is nice. You feel like you are being served and not processed like so many other places. I like how they serve and not sell. So many other places try to sell the appetizers/push dessert options/recommend booze or certain dishes all a big turnoff and Chen's refrains from all of that which I really like. Definitely one of the better Chinese restaurants around.

• Visited May 2014

“long time customer”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I started going to House of Chen about 12 years ago when I worked in Cranberry. I loved it then and have yet to find a Chinese restaurant that matches Chen's on quality. I no longer work in the area but do go out of my way to visit a few times a year.

Some of the other reviews have complained about price, but I found that for dinner, the prices are average and even below other Chinese restaurants. I do agree however that the atmosphere has changed and not really for the better. After being closed for several months the interior now looks like a sports bar when you enter. I remember the small bar where you paid your bill and that seemed to be enough. Now there are TV's all around, a bar for about 20 people and things seem to be more cramped.

The food is very good and I would recommend this place to anyone traveling in the Cranberry area. It is not on the main road and could be hard to find if you are not familar with the area. Also, a word of warning. The medical office building behind Chen's will tow you away if you happend to park in their lot during the day.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank garchr
“Gone completely downhill”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Living in the area for 15 years, I know this restaurant. Back in the 90's it was good, and we used to go there a couple times a month. The food was fresh and tasty and you got nice portions.
They closed for renovations for a year or so and when they opened back up, everything had changed.
The portions were much smaller while costs went up, the food was cooked from frozen and not fresh and didn't taste good.
There is a pond outside and aquariums inside, but so what if the food stinks!
Get the message, please, management. Remember how you used to do things?
Haven't been back in years and will not go back.
The trust is gone.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank ServiceRater_11
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good Food, Good Staff and Wonderful Aquariums”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

House of Chen has a Chinese menu with a lot of depth. The line of aquariums in the wall divider provide the key setting. Its my understanding that this is Chen's only location so there is a focus to see that things are done right. We have been there many times and never had a bad experience. Meals can be prepared as you like it. A good example is how they can adjust the spiciness of some of the hotter dishes.

Visited May 2014
Wheaton, Illinois
“Good food pricey place.”
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Somebody in an earlier review stated that Mr. Chen is charging for the fish tanks and I think he is charging for more than that. He is charging for the ambiance and the bar noise. We were greeted for dinner very quickly and set on a booth next to the fish tanks. The seats were not the most comfortable but the rest of the decor was pleasant. The waitress was very nice and attentive, but I think the place is a litle small for the ambiance, the bar is too close to the dinning area and the TVs are loud and obnoxious. We waited for about 20 minutes for the food once we ordered and the beef broccoli was just delicious! The meat was tender and flavorful and the broccoli not overcooked. The portions were disappointing for $14.00 charge just for that dish. My wife had the Chicken with vegetables and same thing, flavorful dish but meager servings. Our daughter had the beef fried rice and she was given an ample portion and she enjoyed the meal. We had Tea for drinks and their cups were small but their tea was good.
So Chen's has great food, their place is small for all that the owner wants to do, attract a family crowd of dinners and have a bar at the same time. The prices are high but we would have felt better had the portions been larger. All in all good service and good food, mild ambiance with the fish tanks, the bar was a nuisance for us, pricey but if you don't mind the small portions this is a good place to eat.

Visited April 2014