WINNER WONDERLAND

“Pleasant - as long as you don't have noisy neighbors"” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry
San Diego
“Pleasant - as long as you don't have noisy neighbors"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

After a completely frustrating experience with the laundry facilities at a Hilton property in DC, we arrived in Cranberry ready to get our clothes clean at the coin laundry advertised on this property's website. Turns out that they don't have one...The person at the front desk provided us with directions to the local coin laundry down the street, but the experience would have been much more pleasant to do within the hotel. We would have chosen another place to stay if we had realized there was no laundry facility. We also discovered how thin the walls are when we had the neighbors from you-know-where one night. My husband finally went downstairs to talk to the front desk about them, and then all was quiet. This is also probably a result of older construction, but you may want to come prepared if you have trouble sleeping. Breakfast area was busy, yet was always clean and well-stocked. Free wi-fi, which is always nice these days! I have a habit of pulling the comforter up in the mornings to smooth out the bed, and we found that if I did this, the beds were not made underneath...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HamptonInnCran, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Hampton Inn Pittsburgh-Cranberry! I am pleased you had a pleasant stay for the most part. I am not sure what website you are referring to regarding the advertisement for coin laundry, thank you for bringing this error to our attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

Arrived at this location based on tripadvisor reviews and maybe my expectations were just a little too high. I stopped at the desk and spoke with a friendly front desk attendant who provided my room key, details about the hotel and information concerning local eateries. The check-in was quick and efficient and 2 people were working the desk which adds to the speed of check-in.

I arrived at my King, nonsmoking room and found it tastefully decorated with nice furniture and muted color and texture on the walls. I was a little disappointed in the size; the room and bathroom were a bit small. I then inspected the king bed and found the sheets white, clean and crisp and the comforter smelled freshly laundered. I then inspected the bathroom and found it clean, well organized and stocked with plenty of clean white towels and amenities. The room also had a large flat screen TV with HD capabilities and 61 available channels, with 28 in HD.

The desk/ work area was adequate and well illuminated with recessed lights directly above. The internet was adequate and met my business needs. The breakfast is standard for this chain of hotels, good but nothing special. This hotel did have a friendly, smiling breakfast attendant.

The HVAC quickly cooled the room and was relatively quiet. It did not hinder my sleep. Be advised if you are on the back side of this hotel a major highway is within 50 yards. Due to the road noise I was forced to run the fan on the HVAC unit all night. There are many eateries within a short driving distance and a Primanti Brothers which is within walking distance.

What I found disappointing about this hotel was the lack of a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Based on the price I believe the hotel needs to add these amenities.

As far as value, based on the proximity to the highway and lack of a refrigerator or microwave I feel the price paid was just too high. Monday night in March 2011, $144.00 (room) + $12.96 (taxes) = $156.96. This is a bit high for the area.

Overall this is a nice, clean hotel but I can't rate it any higher than average based on the lack or amenities and price.

Would I return....Maybe, I would check other properties in the area before coming back. Would I recommend, Yes, if price and lack of a frig and micro are not a concern.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HamptonInnCran, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Thank you very much for your review of the Hampton Inn Cranberry. I apologize that you were not made aware that we do have microwaves and refridgerators available upon request.. Also, we are hoping to have installed microwaves and refridgerators into all rooms by the end of 2011. We hope to see you the next time you are in Cranberry Township!
Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

This review is from the perspective of a British traveller; I stayed in the Hampton Inn for five nights recently on business.

The Good:
My bedroom was specious, with an enormous and comfortable bed. There are dozens of television channels available, if that's what you want; a desk on castors with a decent chair to work from. The wi-fi connectin is fast and complementary. The bathroom was pleasant, with a decent pressure shower and plenty of towels. Rooms have an individual coffee machine with ordinary and decaffeinated coffee (but no tea). The water is quite soft and fine to drink. A copy of USA Today is delivered each morning. There's a small swimming pool (25 feet) which is fine for leisure use but not long enough for exercising, and a jacuzzi.
The best asset of the hotel is, in my opinion, the staff, who are outgoing and friendly, have local knowledge and seem to be genuinely happy to help.

The "less Good"
As mentioned in earlier reviews, my colleagues sleeping in odd - numbered rooms to the rear of the hotel commented that they were disturbed in the night by heavy vehicles engine braking on the interstate. Having been in a room at the front of the hotel, I can't comment on how loud this is, but thought it worth relaying. The weather was cold and snowy while we stayed, so I imagine that they were disturbed despite having the windows closed.
Although my room was cleaned each day, the small strips of carpet between the bed and the bedside tables was never hoovered and had a lot of small bits of rubbish. Also, although there was a card advising where to put towels if they were to be changed or left for the following day, they were all changed each day, along with the toiletries even though they had only been used once and were part full.
The coffee machine in the room makes nice filter coffee, but instead of single servings of milk, there was powdered "dairy substitute" creamer. This may be a cultural issue, since everywhere I went, I seemed to get powdered creamer; for me, it's nothing like as good as real milk or even something like millak maid.
Breakfast was plentiful, but my issue here is that there was no real crockery or cutlery - it is all plastic and disposable (though the plates and forks are biodegradeable). I'm an adult and I really prefer to eat using china crockery and metal cutlery! Even great food would taste poor off a paper plate. I understand that the hotel has no cooking or dishwashing facilities, but even so, it would be nice to feel like I'm not picnicking. Additionally, and on a similar theme to the toiletries and towels, it doesn't seem to be very environmentally conscientious to dispose of so much mixed waste when washing and reusing is an alternative.
Either way, plastic plates and cutlery make it feel cheap.
The gym has a few weights machines, which I did not try, a recumbent bike, a nordic track, a stair climber and two treadmills. One treadmill and the stair climber are out of service. The gym seems to be a bit neglected when 40% of the cardio equipment is inoperative. I couldn't get the shower in the men's changing room to produce any hot water. On the plus side, it's open from 05.00, which is great for us early starters, but it's small and seems to be poorly maintained, so, a bit of an afterthought.
There are no pavements in the area around the hotel, so going out for a run is not possible, and it's probably not a good idea to walk along the side of the road either, so a vehicle is essential.
My final observation is that the carpet in the communal areas has definitely seen better days and need to be replaced sometime soon.

All in all, this is an excellent hotel for one, maybe two nights, but staying for five really exposed some of the limitations of the place to me. I would stay again, as it's good value, the guest rooms are good, and the staff excellent, but it's not somewhere I would want to be for any length of time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HamptonInnCran, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Thank you very much for staying at the Hampton Inn in Cranberry Township.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stopped over in Cranberry Township, PA on our way to Dearborn, MI in Sept. 2010. This is a really nice hotel for about a $100 a night! It was very clean, comfy beds, big rooms, and a great breakfast! It is completely updated!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HamptonInnCran, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip! We are very accessible off of Route 79 and the Pennsylvania Turn Pike. We were renovated about 5 years ago, and we are scheduled for an overhaul of our lobby area in late 2011 to help make our unique lay-out more spacious. Thank you again! We appreciate your stay.
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

We went to Grove City Pennsylvania for a shopping trip to the Prime Outlets Mall. There were no hotels in Grove City so we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Cranberry Township which is about 25-30 minutes south of Grove City.

We arrived quite late but had no issues checking in. The room was good, but just a bit small as was the bathroom. The beds were comfortable, however the beds were doubles and not queen sized.

The hotel staff where quite nice and always said hello.

The morning breakfast was omelets, toast, sausages, pastries, fruit, cereal, waffels, bagels, coffee and tea. It was pretty good, not outstanding but its free so there is not much to complain about. The eating area is not that big, so its best to get there early.

The free wireless internet access is great - most hotels seem to charge for it so it was a welcomed surprise.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area and some local malls as well.

I would definitely go back to this hotel and other Hampton hotels. If you plan on shopping at the Prime Outlet Mall, try the Hampton in Grove City - its basically across the street from the outlets.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are thrilled to hear that you had a great stay with us! Yes, access to our wireless internet signal is complimentary, as is breakfast, our pool and fitness area and our 24hr coffee and tea services.
We are very close to the Outlet Mall in Grove City, and are happy to provide directions to anywhere else you need to go in the area. There are several restaurants and shopping opportunities within Cranberry Township, and our location just 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh provides a greater incentive for you to stay with us during your leisurely trip to the area!
Thank you again for staying with us!
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

We were traveling to Chicago and found this hotel right off the interstate. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good. The only negative thing I have to stay is that the fruit was not fresh.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HamptonInnCran, Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/Cranberry, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
We at the Hampton Inn in Cranberry Township are so happy to hear that you had a great stay with us. Our breakfast includes hot items, as well as traditional continental breakfast items such as muffins, bagels, cereal, fresh fruit, pastries, and now our new Belgain waffle station! I apologize for the condition of the fruit, depending on what is in season, the fruit may vary.
Again, thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again!
Niagara falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

This hotel was above expectations - which for once is amazing! I'm use to expecting the average, but this hotel over-delivered.

The hotel has a typical Hampton Inn layout, but was very clean and offered excellent service. Located near many restaurants, shopping, and I-79 and I-76 - it can't be beat.

I very much liked the free beverages (including wine and beer) offered in the hotel lobby in the early evening - a great way to relax by grabbing some beers to watch a game in my hotel room after a long day of business travel!

Wish all hotels were up to this standard and value!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments! We are glad that you had a great stay with us - we enjoyed having you!
Our King Suite rooms are equipped with a flat screen television, pull-out sofa bed, desk/laptop station, iron and ironing board, hair dryers and a spacious closet which makes you feel right at home!
We do have a one-of-a-kind Manager's Reception in the evenings, Monday through Thursday from 5-7pm. We offer an assortment of beverages (beer, wine, soft drinks), and well as a hot dish to help you unwind after a busy day. Primanti Brothers (a local Pittsburgh chain) is a great place to get a bite to eat, and with it located so closely there's no need for delivery! There are also several more restaruants in the area that we love to recommend if you're looking for a specific cuisine.
Again, thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again!