“Stay Away From This Place - Operating under Poor Upper Management”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Coraopolis
Reviewed February 9, 2010

My husband and I travel quite often for business and pleasure with our 3 young children. For mere convenience, we decided to stay overnight by the Pittsburgh Airport for an early morning flight.

Based on the condition of our rooms (rented 2 adjoining rooms), it is obvious that management pays little attention to the housekeeping. The bathroom (in both rooms) electrical outlets and light switches were dirty, the bottom rim of both toilets had not been wiped for many months and the baseboards throughout both rooms were very dusty.

The next morning were left our rooms anxious to have a nice hot breakfast (as advertised). The chafe dishes were out with large pictures behind them advertising scrambled eggs/bacon and sausage. The dishes were empty. And it was 8:30 a.m.!

I asked the hostess where the hot foods were (plenty of dried out english muffins, breads and pastries) and she said that they had a problem with a vendor delivery.

Very disappointing stay...

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport

Reviewed December 30, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel in the past. The rooms are very clean. The pool area is excellent. The neighborhood is safe. I have used their airport park and ride service in the past which was wonderful. This time we went for a Steelers game. The hotel is about a mile from a port authority park and ride which is a great way to get in and out of the city for a big event.

The only issue is the exact same issue that I had when I stayed in August. One rude staff person and it was the same person. He hates people who book through priceline. Last time he screamed at me and told me that I had to take a room with a king bed, instead of 2 queens, because I booked through priceline and priceline only guarantees 1 bed.This time I politely asked for a room that I could easily go outside to smoke. He said ok then put me in the exact opposite. I was placed on the 3rd floor, between 2 broom closets, and I had to take the elevator and walk down a hallway to get outside. When I called the desk to ask for a different room I caught the guy in 2 lies then he yelled at me that "priceline people get what they get" and if I didnt like it I could stay somewhere else but my money would not be refunded.

Dear courtyard if you do not like people booking through priceline then stop putting your hotel on priceline.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2009

it was pretty standard stuff, not the best location in the city, the pittsburgh airport area can be tricky to navigate. rooms were average, hot tub was nice, no free breakfast, one computer with internet access. did have a small sundries area, which was better than a vending machine. i preferred the holiday inn in the airport area, which i stayed at the night before.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Great staff, convenient location, complementary 24 hr shuttle to airport.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Very clean hotel, very close to airport, very clean rooms, very good staff
down side is traffic to the city center and you need to pay wifi $12.95 daily
I liked the room a lot, very comfortable and clean..I will stay again if I will go back for business

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I'll be upfront that I'm not the biggest fan of the Courtyard brand, primarily because it attempts to straddle full service and budget but misses the amenities of both. This particular location is in need of some TLC from Marriott on several levels.

First off, the location of the hotel is not ideal, which is a problem with the various hotels in the area (Crowne Plaza, Embassy Suites) since there are few shopping or dining choices within a short distance. You either have to drive to University Blvd or venture down the Robinson Mall area. There is one strip mall within a mile which has a few restaurants but that's it. There are other hotels on University and around Robinson which are more convenient.

Second, the hotel itself is dated. It's the classic Courtyard design, and it looks to be original in all respects. The lobby is unoriginal, though the front desk is newer; the hallways are drab and seem dimly lit; the bar area and breakfast area are definitely unexceptional; and the rooms are somewhat blah. I can't put my finger on the feeling I get when I stay here (it's been several times, not by choice), but it's almost like I'm staying in a hotel from the 80's, with parts updated to modern standards. Yet it's not run-down, just dated. I noted a campaign recently advertising that Courtyards were updating their look, and this hotel will hopefully follow suit quickly. I have noted a couple instances of poor housekeeping, particularly in the bathroom. They were relatively minor but still abnormal in my experience -- they could do better.

Third, service has been spotty. I've had some great service from the front desk folks and some mediocre front desk service (and one instance of just plain neglectful and inexcusable service). Overall, the service has favored good to very good.

Parking is adequate though much of it is located at the back of the hotel building and not very convenient if you stay there when it's full. There is only one elevator which is located in the far left corner of the hotel, which makes it quite annoying if you're moving heavy or bulky luggage to and from the front desk from an upstairs room. I have not used the pool or fitness areas. The internet works well enough, if you're closer to the front of the hotel. At the rear of the building, they rely on the wired internet (I was unable to get a wireless connection), and the wired internet was incompatible with my computer, despite 60 minutes on the phone with the ISP's helpdesk.

One major I have with the brand is charging for breakfast. I can understand charging for the meal, assuming that the provided meal is worth the cost. However, I cannot understand how this Courtyard justifies charging over $10 for breakfast while competitors are either free or under $10. It's ridiculous. Unless someone else is paying, expect to travel for breakfast, which takes me back to my comment about no restaurants in the immediate area.

If you haven't guessed it, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We were awakened by guests walking through the corridors after midnight and in the early morning. We could hear the housekeeping staff beginning their day by loudly knocking on doors to see if rooms were vacant.
We could not get any ice out of the ice machine.
The air conditioning system did not work correctly.
The room we had was very clean, though.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coraopolis
Embassy Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - International Airport
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - Airport
Sheraton Pittsburgh Airport Hotel
La Quinta Inn Pittsburgh Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Airport
Americas Best Value Inn - Pittsburgh Airport

Been to Courtyard Pittsburgh Airport? Share your experiences!