“Birthday Party”
Review of Flint Hill Farm AG

Flint Hill Farm AG
More attraction details
Owner description: Flint Hill Farm is a 28 acre working dairy farm with active Educational Center offering over night farm stay and farm work experience for individuals and families through out the year.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Birthday Party”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Disappointed! The entire experience was totally unorganized, owner would leave for 20 to 30 minutes at a time and just leave us waiting for her to come back. We got there and she stated she had to leave to get our pizza and that we should just hang out until she got back. We waited 20 minutes and our cold pizza finally arrived. Later we waited another 10 minutes as she went to find a horseshoe because she didn't provide enough for each child. She then left again and told us to call her on her cell phone when the kids were done painting. I called her and she came 10 minutes later. She was rude and condescending to the children and the entire experience was really frustrating. In the end she tried to charge me for an extra hour! I couldn't believe it and when I disputed it she shouted "this isn't a Chuckie Cheese and I don't hold anyone's hand". I told her that she shouldn't offer Birthday Parties then. They should also change the misleading information on the website. I nor anyone present at the party will ever go back to this place.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank Kiddobug

NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great farm experience with kids.”
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We stayed for two nights in August. We stayed in the camper, which was a little more rustic and cramped than my wife would have preferred. If we go again, we'd stay at the house. I woke up with my 6 year old at the crowing of the roosters, at we headed out into the dawn. Really nice. We helped feed the sheep and clean their stalls, gather and clean chicken eggs and watch the morning milking. Breakfast at the house with other guests was delightful. Local chef served his own cheese from the farm, eggs from the farm and real cream in our coffee. Laid back, stood in the kitchen in my socks with mug of coffee and we talked about food, baseball and kids.
A really nice experience, educational for kids, good to get outdoors. Horses were beautiful too.
The owner is eccentric, but took good care of us. Payment seemed little shady, and receipt was handwritten on a slip of paper. We were charged for a second day of the 'farm experience' even though we were leaving by 10, which left a little bad taste in our mouths. Overall, worth it. Kids still talk about it 6 months later.

Visited August 2010
5 Thank NJprophet
Miami, FL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great experience (underline...”
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Great experience (underline EXPERIENCE)

I was doing some research for a book I was writing, and wanted to understand what it was like to live on a farm.  I decided to do a farm stay vacation, and Flint Hill Farm was an ideal choice.

Flint Hill is a fully operational, working farm and B&B.  I chose to help out on the farm, which is optional, and learned how to milk cows and goats.  I also collected and washed eggs, fed the animals, helped with the horses, and learned how to make cheese.  It's a wonderful experience, especially if you're traveling with little kids or teenagers.  Flint Hill is an organic farm, so there are no pesticides or herbicides anywhere.

Two things impressed me right away.  The first was that the animals are healthy and well-tended, and all are incredibly people-friendly.  And by "all," I mean the sheep, goats, horses, ponies, cows, chickens, ducks, pigs, dogs, cats, rabbits--the incredible variety of animals that live there.  The second thing was how neat and orderly the farm is kept.  It was so much cleaner than I expected.  The farm is also a non-profit educational center, so it is overseen by staff and volunteers who are patient and informative, and they will make you feel appreciated for your work and welcome to ask questions.

The room I got was homey, like a guest room in someone's home.  The quiet and the comfort gave me two of the best nights' sleep I've had in years.   The breakfast was delicious, both home-made and home-grown.  As a single female traveler, I was made to feel right at home, and the owner, Kathy, was a great conversationalist.  One caveat, though: the room I stayed in didn't have a television.  But to be honest, I didn't really miss it.  And I'm sure that if I'd been traveling with kids, with 28 acres of farm animals and nature walks to explore, watching TV should be the last thing they would want to do.

This farm inn is located in a quiet residential area that is about 15 minutes from a busy street with a Starbucks and every big shop and restaurant you could need.  I even found my favorite clothing store, which had closed down its locations in the big city where I live.

I would HIGHLY recommend this place to families with kids, or couples, or solo travelers.  It was a great learning experience, and a home away from home.

4 Thank Naturewatcher