“Wonderful weekend”
Review of Gateway Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooksburg
Gateway Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Cooksburg B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful weekend”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We really liked The Gateway Lodge we stayed Friday to Sunday. We stayed in a suite with a balcony the room was nice very clean small but had everything you needed. Air conditioning worked great, bathroom was a nice size with dual sinks. The traffic can be busy but that's not their fault. We really liked the complimentary wine and cheese on Friday night. Our waitress Cheyenne on Friday was very nice she took great care of us. Dinner was good I had a filet and my hubby had a Delmonico. They were good the Delmonico was quite thin and the veggies were not remarkable. I was disappointed that on Friday they were out if one of the main desserts apple crisp. Breakfast is served and included it was quite good and again the service was very good, Saturday was the wine tasting it was 5 courses with four wines. The lobster roll, salad and soup were great. I got the lamb it was good but over cooked, my hubby had the quail it was good but would have been better without the barbecue. We both had a hot stone massage we both enjoyed it the staff is a little rough around the edges but it was a good experience. Overall the food is good and we will be back. A very nice relaxing place with great service. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Try a room in the back to avoid the traffic noise not sure if they are different.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shanda464

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I arrived about 11:30am, much too soon for our 4pm check-in. Jackie, the receptionist who greeted us, was very nice and professional. She suggested a couple of places for lunch that were nearby. We enjoyed lunch at The Forest Nook (that will be another review) and returned to Gateway Lodge as the rains continued to come down for the eighth day. Jackie invited us to visit their great room and to peruse the books. Excellent suggestion! There was a nice fire burning in the fireplace that helped to make the great room warm and inviting. We soon found something to read and settled in to comfy chairs. Tea time! We can check in!! Our room was located just off of the great room. From the robes in the closet to chocolate candy in a dish to our own covered porch, oh, and the gas log fireplace, and the Jacuzzi, oh and the bed was actually comfortable, we settled in for the next two nights and three days. My husband said that the coffee was very good while I enjoyed at least three different teas. Then, supper and oh what a supper! The chef enjoys what he is doing and it definitely shows. Following the meal, I asked to speak with him. I gave him a hug and blurted out, "Lumpy potatoes!" He laughed and I told him that is how I prepared them with the skins on just as he did. Ohhh, delicious! I had the stuffed portabella mushroom with four different cheese while my husband had the salmon. All very good. The sun did come out and we were able to enjoy some trails in Cook Forest State Park. The river was much too high for any water activities, so we contented ourselves with hiking in the forest cathedral. Our last day...already?!?...I had a wonderful massage. I forgot to write about breakfast! Yummy! All of the staff were friendly and professional. I could not have dreamed of a better B & B.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "rock" side avoid the road noise. Higher floors do have less A/C unit noise...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue N
Geneseo, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a family vacation there last summer and it turned out wonderful. The Lodge is beautiful. I will preface this by saying that they do not normally advertise as a child friendly venue but they were willing to put myself and my husband and child up in the business center suites so that the rest of the family (mostly couples) could stay in the main lodge. The meals were great. Breakfast was very good (came with the package) and the rooms were clean and comfortable. My brother and his wife and my niece and her husband rented a cabin just across the street and also run by the lodge and we had a great time meeting there to gather around the campfire. The Inn organized a great birthday party for my father who turned 80 and even set up a campfire afterwards. Very nice event. There was a little confusion about some of the details of the stay when we first got there but the staff was super helpful and accommodated some apparent changes we hadn't expected.

Room Tip: The jacuzzies in the main lodge definitely have better water pressure than those in the business cen...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
cleveland
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I went here to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and it was the perfect choice. It is located right in the middle of the Cook Forest excitement but has a calm, serene setting. We ate in the on-site restaurant 4 times and each time we were delighted with the taste and service. The staff here are focused on taking care of the guests so that we almost felt like we were home. If you are going just for the food I highly recommend trying the mushroom soup and any dessert- I would go there all the time for those if we lived closer! I hope to be there again one day soon.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a suite and enjoyed the balcony and in-suite jacuzzi- well worth the extra money!
1 Thank cathy b
Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our stay at the Gateway Lodge exceeded our expectations. We were trying to plan a spur-of-the moment trip for our anniversary that would not be too far or long. After reading the reviews, it seemed that this trip would be suitable.
We got out of our car and were greeted with a beautiful scent of pine. We arrived in time for tea, relaxed on our balcony, and took a walk behind the lodge and saw mountain laurel in full bloom. This was the first time I ever saw our state flower in such profusion which was an added bonus to the trip.
Our room was lovely and had many great amenities. It even had a basket of snacks that was perfect to take with us on our hikes the next day. It was cozy to sit by the fireplace in the spacious room with the natural light coming through the balcony window.
The dinner in the rustic and charming dining room was delicious with many gourmet touches and generous portions. We had fun eating the tasty apple crisp-for-two served in an iron skillet. Courtney was pleasantly attentive throughout our meal and knowledgeable while being genuinely friendly. The breakfast was also fantastic and served by another great waitress.
We truly had a memorable experience to celebrate our anniversary. It was perfect from the time we arrived until the time we left.

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony facing west. It might be better to have it facing east to get the morning sun...
2 Thank Dreaming176
Imperial, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Fantastic time!
We had to reschedule our visit twice and the staff was very accommodating and helpful.
Loved the lodge and the quiet!! Room beautifully prepared with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries as well as roses. Great food and drink.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with no TV's and enjoy the time to reconnect.
Yukon, PA
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent Memorial Day weekend at the Gateway Lodge. We had a 3 night package deal which included a luxury suite, made to order breakfast each morning and a BBQ dinner on Sunday. I requested a suite in the main lodge and on the first floor and was accommodated . We stayed in the Hemlock View Suite and it was at the end of the first floor and pretty quiet. Please note that this is a lodge so it is not sound proof and you can hear a lot of door banging and such. The rooms are adequate, we had a queen poster bed, a love seat, jacuzzi and a small sitting area. The bathroom was a handicapped accessible one with a roll in shower. There was no tv and the only cell phone service and Internet service is located in the Great Room. This creates more of a bed and breakfast atmosphere I guess. I did miss having a tv and not being able to use my phone and computer in our suite. The food was good and the service was also good. The lodge is very well maintained and is located in a beautiful setting. If you are looking to get away from the noise and the hassles of everyday life, the Gateway Lodge can offer you a place of quietness.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cynthia_sue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooksburg
Hampton Inn Clarion
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Clarion
Motel 6 Clarion, PA
Motel 6 Clarion, PA
#8 of 9 in Clarion

Been to Gateway Lodge? Share your experiences!