“Cozy, good service, clean.”
Review of Gateway Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cooksburg
Gateway Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Cooksburg B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Cozy, good service, clean.”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The place is warm and rustic. There are fireplaces everywhere. The restaurant there has a homestyle vibe. The food is fresh. I had local trout. The beer prices aren't bad. The staff was considerate and took time with you. I read the bad reviews on here talking about how there is no view from the balconies. I thought it was a beautiful view... You can see the road but it is slightly hidden behind trees. Between the fireplace, the jacuzzi and the balconies I felt like a queen. Oh and also... they had a very nice pool table.

Room Tip: Go for the jacuzzi rooms....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 12, 2013

You've heard it said that "the pictures on the web sites are always better than the reality." Well not in this case. The Gateway Lodge & Spa web site is nice indeed, but this facility is outstanding in nearly every way. My husband and I were looking for a short getaway to celebrate our anniversary, and we were not disappointed. In fact, we were more than delighted.

Driving to the lodge posed questions in my mind, as it is situated in a remote area, Cook's Forest. I questioned my choice - that is until we entered the lodge.

Every detail of this lodge is exceptional, and put together exquisitely. We rented a suite and it was beautiful, quiet, a perfect place to relax. The bathroom was nice, the fireplace a wonderful touch, we regretted it was winter and we could not enjoy the absolutely lovely balcony.

The lodge itself was spectacularly elegant yet comfortable. So yes, wear jeans to dinner! The staff was friendly providing outstanding service. (Thank you Jackie for everything!) The great room, fabulous. The game room (pool table, tv) nicely put together. The small sitting area on the second floor - lovely.

The restaurant was absolutely gorgeous. The service outstanding. The meals - I tip my hat and bow to the chef. Our dinner was fabulous, nicely presented, and service was wonderful. Breakfast - who though breakfast could be presented in such a way! Both meals were exceptional.

The wine tasting held Friday nights was very nice. Wine, cheese, in the great room with a crackling fire. Excellent wines. Very well done. Nice pre-dinner event.

The spa - my massage was wonderful, the spa is very small but tastefully done. With this said, it is one of the weaker areas of the lodge still needing work. Space needs to be provided to "chill" prior to and following the massage service. Even something as simple as providing a space to shower (I did not enjoy dressing while oily and scooting upstairs to shower). Especially important is providing the time and a space to relax following the massage. Instead, one dresses in the same room the massage is given, is handed a plastic bottle of water, and sent on your way. It took away from an otherwise wonderful service. I would suggest something as simple as having a pitcher of water chilling with cucumber slices for guests following their massage in a room where they may relax for 15 minutes or so. I understand the spa is a work in progress - and with how fabulous the rest of the lodge is I look forward to revisiting the spa in a few years.

The only other item I can think of is providing body lotion in the bathroom along with the Aveda shampoo and conditioner - which were wonderful products and appreciated. Seriously, if this is the only suggestion, you must imagine the visit is outstanding.

You will not regret visiting this gem. Thank you for making our anniversary special. We will be back - you can count on it.

Do not hesitate to book a stay. If you are looking for a lovely break, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If television is important to you, be sure to ask for a room with a tv. Also, I am told some rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diane B
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We thought the coordinates meant off the beaten track but our room window overlooked the highway and rest of building. We even asked when called but was not truthful. There was no view for even the common porch overlooked the freeway. We tried to get another room but booked solid. Yet, the other side of hallway guest showed us view with balcony that looked at rocky hill.

There was an emergency with cook so our anniversary dinner reservations were cancelled for closed. We didn't know this until we were there in time for reservation. Granted we were refunded money and suggested places to go but was not what we planned our day to be eating in cafeteria sandwich place.

It was very disappointing for we paid full price to be there and left early for this is not what we thought or told on phone to expect. We are thankful did not get married there.

The portion size are diet small and I needed to give my husband my breakfast so would be full to keep sugars up. Prices high so for us our tip as high as we would pay for 1 meal. Then, still be hungry.

The beds were high up and had to jump to get on.

It was impossible to get cell phone reception to let family know we arrived safely for drove there.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Mapakettle102
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We travel to Cook's Forest often in the summer time, but this was our first overnight trip during the winter months. We wanted to spend New Year's Eve away from it all and Gateway Lodge, overall, is one of the better facilities located in this simply grand forested area of Northern PA . We decided to go with a cabin instead of staying at the lodge because we wanted the experience of a real wood buring fireplace in our room. We were told that we could still access the amenities at the lodge. Our cabin (#9) was one of the oldest there on the property (which we learned later), but overall it was okay. We recognized in advance that there would not be any TV or Internet service available so we brought plenty of reading material. Unfortunately, the lighting in the cabin was very dim even in the bathroom (so ladies bring a lighted mirror if you want to properly apply makeup; there's only one light bulb there). We did request an additional lamp which they were able to provide. In addition to a fireplace they do have a heating system, which can be somewhat noisy through the night. The cabins were however clean, had hot water in the shower, and the bedding/towels sufficient. We scheduled spa treatments during the day, but I have to say that although the staff were very nice and knowlegeable the couples massage room was cold and the bedding/sheets on the table thin. Being no stranger to massage treatments, I was surprised that the massage table was not heated. I did ask if they could turn the heat on, which she said she did but I still had goose bumps from the chill. Also, because we were in the cabins and not at the lodge I had asked when we scheduled our reservation if we could, after our massages, use the shower amenities there. They indicated that we could, but unfortunately, this was not the case as they only had one shower, no hair dryer available, and the shower room was needed in less than 30 minuites. Apparently, there are only so many staff members available in the spa, it is locked when they are doing treatments, and there are not enough amenities to support the ability to shower if needed (unless you return to your cabin). As for the food/dining at the lodge, it is obvious that the focus is on that aspect of your stay. The menu was limited, but the food was very good and of course, the wine selection pretty impressive. We were also very impressed that the owner and the Sommelier introduced the New Year's Even menu and wine selections so if you stay over the holidays, it becomes a very intimate evening with the owners/staff. We would also recommend the New Year's Eve package; the Bluegrass band was great and we had lots of fun with a small, but highly engaged group of fellow guests. For these final reasons, I would rate the property at four stars instead of three. We will definitely be back, although we may try a room at the lodge or their sister cabins (Black Bear Cabins).

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gabettarossa
Butler, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Gateway is a romanctic getaway perfect for couples who enjoy some peace and quiet (not so much our last visit however). We have stayed both in the lodge as well as the cabin for 2 and both were very nicely decorated and very inviting. Our last experience was not as great as prior visits. Though the review section of this site will not allow me to choose our last travel date, our last stay was October 2009 when the new management had just taken over the property. Dinner turned out to be less than expected as the waitress apparently kept forgeting about us - dinner took 2.5 hours!! After dinner we went back to our room to relax and there was a loud group in the great room that partied til after midnight. We did not like the "new" Gateway as much as the "old" Gateway and have not been back since but it is still beautiful as ever.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the great room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jen S
Jackie G, Guest Relations Manager at Gateway Lodge, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Jen,
I am indeed sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us over 3 years ago. I would have loved to have been able to respond to some of the issues that you had during your stay however, with the passing of time, I am not able to thoroughly research your last stay. Here at the Gateway Lodge we strive to continue to improve our guests experience with all the feedback we receive. I ensure you that any issues you may have addressed with us in the past have been reviewed by our management team and steps have been put into place to correct any of the issues that we are able to control. I do hope that you are able to come and enjoy the wonderful experience that the Gateway Lodge has to offer to all of our guests. The Woods Spa offers wonderful massage services, our dining room is of the "farm to table" philosophy using many local farms to support our menu, our wine list boasts awards from Wine Spectator with over 245 wines to choose from, and our staff is dedicated to our guests relaxing and enjoying all the comforts of the lodge as well as the beauty of the surrounding Cook Forest! Each year it is our goal to add services to enhance our guests experiences. We hope that you give us another chance.

Jackie
Guest Relations Manager
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was a 50th Bitrthday getaway with my girlfriend. I wanted to something romantic and special for her a birthday she would never forget. This was a perfect getaway. Everything is as they say it is and more. Everyone was so great from making reservations and house keeping could not do enough for us. But we did not need anything at all. Had a suite with a a jacuzzi tub with a fireplace. The room was very romantic and very comfortable. The food was fantastic and everything is homemade. Had the spa treatment wich came with a half dozen beautiful red roses, chocolet covered strawberies and a very good bottel of champane. Very relaxing and refreahing. Hope to get back there soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 968kevins
Coudersport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband didn't tell me where we were going for our 27th anniversary. So I didn't know what to expect. Our arrival was a pleasant surprise. A variety of scents and sounds greet you as you enter. Natural, earthy fragrances abound as you walk down the halls and a lovely falling water "painting" accents one of the hallways. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. Our room was clean, spacious, and well furnished, including snacks and water in the mini-fridge. Our bathroom had thick towels, a spotless finish, and plenty of water pressure, unlike some of the hotels I've stayed in where if any other room uses water, your shower turns weak or cold!. The whirlpool was nice and immaculately clean. Meals were creative and imaginative. The gas-lit fireplace was romantic and warming. Wonderful locally-done photographic artwork adorned the walls of the halls and a overstuffed chairs in the great room were inviting for visiting, reading, or snoozing. A hidden nook on the second floor doubled as a fitness center (should have been labelled on the room's map or pointed out by our hostess--my only complaint. I would have used it, if I had known it was there.) The entire waitstaff was there to serve you and genuinely seemed to want to help. The restaurant staff actually checked with you (if you are in the commons area) before they closed for the night to see if you needed anything else. That is a nice touch!

My only other suggestion would be to replace the pool table in the game room and add another so that more guests can play without waiting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DJFCoudy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cooksburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Clarion
#8 of 9 in Clarion
Monroe Heights Clarion
Monroe Heights Clarion
#7 of 9 in Clarion

Been to Gateway Lodge? Share your experiences!