“Great Indian Food in an unexpected place”
Review of 401 Diner / Nirvana - CLOSED

401 Diner / Nirvana
Cuisines: Indian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: W 4th Ave
Description: Wouldn't it be great to reach Nirvana (a state of bliss) at every meal? Well, now you can! Conshohocken's landmark 401 Diner is now, Nirvana (BYOB). Owner, Nabin Chhantyal and Chef Jagmeet "Happy" Singh have implemented a modern fusion of Indian classics that are as beautiful as they are tasty.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great service combined with both unique and classically prepared delicious Indian food made this a winning night out. The eggplant appetizer is not to be missed - it was inhaled by our teenage boys, neither of whom like eggplant!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hi! We were guinea pigs in the newly reconfigured 401 Diner which now bills itself as a diner by day and a "modern Indian restaurant" by night. We were there at night with a hankering for Indian food. It was rather late and there were few patrons but we were happy with the food, the service and the ambiance. The waitress in particular went out of her way, making suggestions and tending to us with genuine friendliness. The chef came out afterwards to say hello. The food was very good but not quite as exceptional as the waitress seemed to think, and the staff seemed to be Indonesian rather than Indian. The eggplant the waitress recommended, however, was exceptional and if you like eggplant at all (and even if you don't) I highly recommend it.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We arrived at 11am and although we were seated promptly, the wait for our food was ridiculous. In addition, waitress was a bit surly and it took forever to get our check. Two other tables near us (two adults and an infant and the other two adults and three children) also had to wait an unreasonable amount of time for their meals. Suggest you go to the restaurant when you are not hungry and by the time you get your meal, you'll be starving.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

First off, this isn't in Philadelphia, it's in Conshohocken. I don't know why it's listed as Philadelphia.

So I was driving up Fayette around 11:30am, looking for a deli I went to years ago. My partner and I found it, but saw the 401 Diner kitty-corner and thought I'd try it. It doesn't look like much from the outside -- kind of a silver diner look with an old, faded art deco sign. I expected an old diner inside too, but it was totally different. Light, interestingly tiled tables and coat hooks, little colorful wooden flowers ($8 at the register) and other decor. Lots of wood if you're into that sort of thing (and I am). The average age of the patrons was about 25, with one young family and one older couple.

I just read through the other reviews and my experience wasn't awful at all. There was an early error: no silverware for my partner. And his coffee was incredibly hot and strong. But that was it for the bad bits. I asked the waitress whether to choose the salmon burger ($12) or turkey burger ($11), and she enthusiastically suggested the turkey -- plus "truffle fries". Our order was taken quickly and delivered promptly. He had chocolate-chip pancakes ($7.50) and I had the turkey burger. The pancakes were airy and tasty (yes, I stole one), and my turkey burger had a nice spicy sauce and sauteed onions. (And a fat slice of purple onion, which really overpowered things and I took it off.)

And the truffle fries! The waitress said they were drizzled in mushroom oil and sprinkled with cheese. They were awesome! They had a lot of flavor, weren't over-salty and the cheese added just enough punch. (My partner thought the fries really smelled too much, but the fries were all about me!) We boxed some to go, and the box was an odd stiff shiny compostable cardboard which I appreciated -- no foam!

All in all, I'd recommend it. The menu wasn't huge but it had a clever mix that should please everyone. It was a hair pricey for a diner, but not out of sight. It was interesting for all senses, though, and that made the experience a really fine lunch.

Warning: A sign on the door today (March 30, 2013) said that they would be "temporarily closed" for dinner, closing at 3:00pm for the foreseeable future. Don't know what that's about.

1  Thank dbomp
Reviewed March 3, 2013

A group of 4 of us went to breakfast this morning. Worst experience ever. We waited over an hour to be seated and then waited on, even though there were plenty of tables open. It is clear that they have no clue how to turn over a table properly. It was another 45 minutes before we even got our food....for some reason, it takes that long to make some eggs. I ordered French toast...it came out cold and extremely dry. I didn't eat it. We also ordered grits and we got the "last order" which was bland and cold. All of our eggs were drastically underseasoned. My bf's poached eggs were overcooked and solid and the hollandaise was watery. We could not WAIT to get out of there. It was a horrible 2 hour experience and we will never go back. I almost wanted to tell the people who were waiting for a table to turn around and go somewhere else. But, to be fair, I decided that wouldn't be nice. They can make that decision on their own.