“Good Food, Cute Decor”

Southern Cross Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Southern Cross Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 83 Restaurants in Conshohocken
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Had a work lunch here with some of my colleagues this week. I really enjoyed it. While the devil side of me really wanted the mac and cheese or the fried chicken, I opted for the black and blu shrimp tacos, but no blue cheese, that is just strange to me. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and the amount of spice was spot on. The service wasn't bad, nor great, just kind of there. Our waitress wasn't friendly, but not rude, just no warm and fuzzies. I loved the rustic decor. Definitely a great place for lunch or dinner. Would go back!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I had dinner here with a friend a few months ago. Not sure why I decided to wait until now, but then I realized it wasn't a decision, it was probably because I wanted to forget about it and DID until I accidentally ran into this online. Meatloaf was dry. If it had no gravy it would have been inedible. The french fries had enough salt on them to melt a snowy road (yeah, I know, not the same kind of salt, but you get my drift). They were soggy and covered in gravy. The caesar salad, however, was very tasty and thankfully had the exact kind of dressing I like (the creamy style, not the oil-based). The caesar salad was the saving grace, along with the service, which I have to say was remarkable. I've read many reviews on here saying the service was bad, so they must have done something about that. Our server was fantastic, almost overly eager, but he was genuinely trying to do a good job. OH YEAH, the drinks. Well, you can't really screw up drinks, however, for a 10 dollar glass of wine, I don't want it to arrive with only 2 or 3 little sips in the glass. It reminded me of that scene from the movie "Hall Pass" when Owen Wilson ordered 3 shots of tequila and the bill came to $57. Anyway, I jokingly said to the waiter, "next time, can you tell the bartender to make it a double," referencing the lack of wine in my glass. Not only did the bartender fill the glass almost to the top, I wasn't charged for it! HAHA!!! That was a nice surprise. I'd like to give 2-1/2 stars for the nice touches, but I'll give 2 for now. I'll give it another try in the future to see if things have improved, I sure hope so!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is one of our go-to lunch spots. A favorite is the burger, which is made with chorizo in the meat mix and has bacon, sunny-side egg, and fried pickles on top. So good! It's a multi-napkin experience. The Cobb salad is also very tasty. One time I had the chicken & dumplings special, and if I ever saw that, I'd get it again. Some of the entree specials are priced pretty high, but the standard lunch fare is more reasonable--around $10-$12. I'm always too full to have dessert, but the dessert tray looks great. Beer list looks good, too. One of these days...

1  Thank N B
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Had a decent lunch so decided to try it for dinner. Never again. The place is cute but very noisy. Our service was the worst I have had in a long time. The waitress was late coming over after we sat, when she brought the wine she just opened and poured it, no inspection, no tasting offered, I ordered an extra glass of wine that she never brought (the hostess got it for me after I complained) and then she brought the dessert tray but since I was in the restroom left it on the table for 10 minutes until we got the hostess to remove it and get our check. The hostess was very apologetic, but I have never had such bad service. The food was not even that great. The fried green tomatoes were delicious but my sea bass special was dry and no so special. The hostess did offer to send me a gift card so we'll see if it comes. I would attempt lunch again but never dinner.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had lowered my expectations for this restaurant as I had read the TA reviews prior to our visit. I was very pleasantly surprised by both the food and service. Both were very good. We ate upstairs after having a drink at the bar. The fried calamari appetizer and the Margarita shrimp both were delicious. They had a ton of flavor and everyone in our group really enjoyed them. Two people got the Cross Burger, one the fried chicken and I had the ahi tuna special. We all loved our entrees and finished them despite the hugeness of the burger for my friends. I did not care for the Brussels,sprouts side I ordered as the pancetta was really underdone and fatty. I liked the chocolate chip bread pudding itself but I was not a fan of the bourbon glaze. Just personal preference. I thought there was great value for the money. 4 people with apps, drinks, entrees and dessert was just hinder $200 without tip. I would definitely go back again. They do play live music upstairs on Friday night so it was really difficult to talk over that. I'd ask for a table downstairs next time.