“Very Disappointing”

Southern Cross Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Southern Cross Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 82 Restaurants in Conshohocken
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was very excited to see a southern food place offering some of my favorite dishes. Unfortunately I was very disappointed by the quality of food. It's way over priced for both the quality and quantity of food. We ordered three sharing plates, unfortunately two of them were disappointing. The shrimp and grits was tasty but had only three shrimps for a price of $15! The fired oysters had absolutely no seasoning, not in the oysters nor in the batter, absolutely none! The remoulade sauce saved the day! The third dish of fried green tomatoes were the only dish which we enjoyed but even that had only two for a price of $10. The only saving grace was a good selection of beer. I was excited to try them out but don't think we will be back.

There are newer reviews for Southern Cross Kitchen

Reviewed December 9, 2013

A shame in that it offered some of my favorite foods--fried oysters, meatloaf, halibut--but none were memorable. I suggest skipping it.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I went here the other night with a group from work to celebrate the conclusion of a project. I liked the place. We had a few different appetizers and they were all pretty good. The beer selection was great. The bartender and staff were pleasant and personable.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ate dinner there tonight. Ordered the swordfish and asked for it "on the rare side". It arrived at the table barely seared on the outside and absolutely raw in the middle - lived up to its name of needing a sword or saw to even cut it. Sent it back and when it returned, it smelled like a fishing boat, whose decks have not been cleaned in a year. The manager came to the table and proceeded to tell me she has been in the restaurant business for 20 something years and this fish was fresh - just came in today. Well, call me an unsophisticated country bumpkin from the Upper West Side of Manhattan; nevertheless, that fish was foul!!! Such an attitude from someone at a two bit cajun wannabe in Conshohocken. I sent the fish back and ordered the pumpkin gnocchi instead - can I say I have never ingested wall paper paste before, but I can only imagine this gnocchi was a close cousin - hint to the chef - don't overcook it til it disintegrates!!! Needless to say - food was awful and service was arrogant at best and nonplussed at worst - hint to the staff - the customer is supposed to be right - especially when they are right!!! Next time, I'll take my nine year old's advice and do McD's drive thru - food is better and service much more pleasant and cheerful!

1  Thank AnnabelleLeePony
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I went here with a group of 7 people for brunch. The food was amazing. There was a nice variety of different things, many people at my table ordered the pork belly benny and really liked it. I had the huevos rancheros, which were nicely done. While the food was awesome, the service was not. The service was incredibly slow. The food came out at all different times, and I thought maybe it was because we had a large group, but I noticed that this happened at a few other tables. We were there for almost 2 hours from start to finish, not because we were lingering, but because that's how long the entire meal took. I would go back because of the food, but go in knowing that I might be there awhile.