“Unbelievable ~ and NOT in a good way!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Conneaut Lake
Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Conneaut Lake
PA
“Unbelievable ~ and NOT in a good way!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

A friend's wedding brought us to Hotel Conneaut, and we looked forward to staying in what we pictured to be a fine old establishmnet. We were ill prepared for what was in store for us! The desk clerk was unable to find the reservation that we'd made over a month ago ~ but she did find us a room. When we went up the stairs that were covered with dirty, torn carpeting, we began to realize that our expectations had been a tad too high. We opened the door and were in for yet another disappointment: a tiny, poorly furnished room with cheap powder blue paneling bearing some unexplained nails that had no apparent purpose, and some garish plastic floral wall decorations. I'm not sure what color the carpeting had originally been, but it was filthy. The "closet" is no more than 8" deep, so our clothing was hung on the slanted rack that's attached to the back wall. The bathroom was even more delightful. Mismatched floor tiles competed with some sort of wall board that had big chunks torn from it. The old fashioned pedestal sink had separate hot and cold water faucets. There was a large, footed tub with no shower. The towels were thin, but all appeared to be clean except for the bath mat, which had a large orange stain on it. We'd "upgraded" to a lake view room ($70 per night!!!!) and for that we were treated to a room with NO air, NO TV, NO phone, NO closet to speak of, NO shower, NO alarm clock, NO hair dryer (only 1 electrical outlet in the whole room, and that was located next to the bed!). The best part of our stay: when we turned down the bed to climb in for the night, we discovered the sheets had very obviously not been changed since the last occupants. Absolutely disgusting!! Since there's no phone in the room, I tromped down to the desk in my pajamas. Finding no one there, I went into the bar where I found the desk attendant sitting there. I told him that I needed new sheets because the room obviously hand't been cleaned after the last guests, and he said, "OK." "No," I said, "It really isn't OK at all!" He found some sheets in a closet and came up and changed our bed for us. I wish I hadn't seen the condition of the mattress when he pulled the mattress cover off! In the morning I spoke with the man who was identified to me as the hotel manager. He said yes, he'd heard about the dirty sheets, and he didn't know what to say except he was sorry. Then he brought me his cell phone to talk with the supervisor of the cleaning crew, who assured me that his staff would be reprimanded. The only offer made to me to compensate for my horrible experience was a $20 gift certificate to the "Beach Club" restaurant. I have to admit the food was good ~ and so far, it's been the only positive part of my stay in this hole.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WasAEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
ritadesiree
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

I made reservations at the hotel as soon as I knew the opening date for the park. I've been closely following the park since the fire, and I knew that renovations were just really getting underway at the time of my stay. What I can say is that I came to the hotel knowing it was not the Mariott, or a Hilton. I wanted my $75 room stay to go towards the further renovation of the hotel. In fact I made my next reservation at check-in! The ladies and gentlemen working there were very helpful, even letting us peek into other rooms yet to be occupied. The hotel was fully booked that weekend too, which was great to see. The rooms were clean, the beds comfy, the bathrooms well-stocked and towels plenty. We ate Mama Bear's breakfast at the Beach Club and the food came fast and MAN was it good. just like I remember growing up! As for the other poster here that was unhappy with their stay, with people like you badmouthing the way you did here, the Hotel will wait even longer to return to its past beauty. Greg Sutterlin is doing an amazing job and soon I will be contacting them to plan my wedding there next summer! Thank you to teh management and construction teams! Please keep up the good work!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ritadesiree
pittsburgh, pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

My wife and I had an opportunity to take several days off in late June 2009. Our final destination was Cook Forest, Pa, but we thought we would pay a visit to a place and hotel that both of us visited as young teenagers in the sixties. We arrived at the Hotel on a Thursday evening. We had reservations, although no confirmation number as they do not have "electronic" reservations. When we arrived the hotel on the outside looked much the same as we remembered it as children. The lobby area was deserted, but we could hear music coming from the "ballroom". There was a local aerobics class in progress and no one there had anything to do with the hotel. They directed us to a nearby bar called the "Beach Club". We walked over there and asked several men sitting around the bar if any of them worked at the hotel. They replied, "we all do". Apparently there are ten men employed in attempting to renovate the Hotel Conneaut. None of them was the desk clerk, but they said he just left and was headed back to the hotel. After meeting with the clerk at the check in desk we asked about places to eat. Apparently the hotel has no operating restaurant as it did years ago. He provided directions to the "Pelican Landing", which turned out to be a decent restaurant. He took us to our room on the first floor. It was pretty sad. The carpeting looked green to me, but my wife said it was supposed to be blue. It was dirty and worn. I had paid $90 for a room with a "partial view" of the lake. Basically this is what we got a view of the parking lot in the rear of the hotel with a view of the lake in the distance to the left. The furnishings appeared to be cheap 1950s style. There was a paper taped to the faux blue paneled wall that said to be careful with the furnishings as some of them were antique! The bedding looked clean although the blanket was thin, threadbare, and worn completely through in areas. The bathroom had an old style sink with separate hot and cold faucets. There was a small, cloudy mirror above the old sink. In one corner of the bathroom was a separate shower unit without a bathtub similar to something you might see in a campground. There were two types of tile on the bathroom floor. The towels appeared to be clean. Two small bars of soap were provided. After viewing the room we left the hotel for an excellent meal at the "Pelican Landing" on the other side of Conneaut Lake. By the time we, reluctantly, returned to the hotel, it was dark. We walked along the old "boardwalk" that separated the hotel from the "beach" area. We came across another couple about our age. They remarked how the hotel was not what they remembered. They told us they had no hot water and complained to the desk. Apparently the complaint worked as we had hot water in our room. When we went to bed I could hear a dripping sound. It was the shower. I placed a washcloth on the floor of the shower to muffle the sound. The night passed without event otherwise. About 8 am the workers we had met the night before began working directly under our room! Around this time I saw the other couple leave. They had told us they were staying two nights. I'm not sure if they came back. We were the only guests in the hotel that night. The shower had the hot and cold water reversed, which took some getting used to. At check out there was no one at the desk I just tossed the key into the chair. My wife and I decided to forego breakfast at the "Beach Club" bar and headed for Cook Forest.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Gulover

Travelers are raving about these Conneaut Lake hotels

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

If you want to get away to another place in time then conneaut lake hotel is the place for you. It sits along the shore of beautiful conneaut lake. The large veranda with rocking chairs over looking the lake is a wonderful place to kick back and relax. The rooms take you back to the beginings of this historical hotel as there is no telephone,t.v or air conditioning. there are ceiling fans and a breeze blowing in off the lake that keep the rooms cool. the bathrooms still have the old bathtubs with the claw feet. there is a lounge and a dining room down stairs that serve up some of the the best meals I ever had. I simply love this old hotel and look forward to visiting it several times a year.

Stayed July 2006
Econo Lodge
#4 of 5 in Meadville
Holiday Inn Express Meadville
Mayor Lord's House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park? Share your experiences!