“Clean room, overall hotel needs some TLC”

Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Conneaut Lake
Northumberland, Pennsylvania
“Clean room, overall hotel needs some TLC”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

You could tell that back in the day, this was an awesome hotel. Ideally, the owners should dump a ton of money into this place and bring it back to its original charm. It is a historic hotel, keep that in mind when reading reviews and staying there. I read the reviews and my expectations were rather low.

The staff was all very friendly. Our room was clean. I would suggest asking for a "renovated" room as it did make a difference with the room we were assigned. The carpet was clean, bathroom new (albeit small), and fresh paint. The full size bed or at least I think that is what it was, was rather tiny. We also didn't have a tv the first night because they didn't have any "extras". A friendly housekeeper managed to find us one on the second day we were there.

The bed linens weren't great. The same goes for the towels. I packed a sheet and towels for us based on other reviews. I am not a germ-o-phobe or anything but I was glad I did pack them.

Long story short - ask for a renovated room and bring your own linens. I wouldn't try to stay at this place again, but if it were to be a suggested hotel for a wedding, we would probably stay there again out of convenience.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and pack your own linens.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Missnoellian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Burgettstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My son had his wedding reception in the ballroom of the Hotel Conneaut. My review is of that event, not the hotel in general. The cocktail hour on the veranda was lovely; the view of the lake is beautiful and the cheese and fruit served were very good - several people stopped me to comment on it. Dinner in the ballroom was much better than one might expect when a large crowd was being fed; again, I got many positively glowing comments about the quality and amount of the food. The staff was excellent and went out of their way to assure that everything was to our liking. Kudos to Joyce and her staff!

Room Tip: Did not stay here, and probably would not.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jay368
PIQUA
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here with a friend whose cousin was getting married on the hotel grounds. We were a little apprehensive about staying after reading the reviews but we are SO glad that we did! Though the accommodations would not all be called ascetically pleasing, they had a sweet charm about them that won me over. You truly felt as though you were walking back in time to the 20's. The staff was fantastic, allowing us to check in early so we could get ready for the wedding was much appreciated. Every one we met associated with the hotel was friendly and eager to please. One cleaning lady in particular thanked us for being so kind and understanding. She told us they were working to make improvements but they were also trying to keep the bygone era charm that first won me over. The room we stayed in (and most of the ones I saw) were very small. However the beds were very comfortable and I slept as well as I do when in my own bed. I did not see the upper floors where I was told some positive improvements had been made. These floors also housed bigger rooms and suites. However when I am vacationing I rarely spend much time in my room anyway so while a bigger room might have been nicer, the one we had was adequate for our needs.

On a related note, the meal we had at the wedding reception (in a beautiful ballroom) was fantastic! Again the staff went above and beyond to make sure things were perfect. The lakeside wedding was beautiful and unique.

If you are expecting a large, well appointed room with all the modern amenities you are going to be disappointed, but if you are willing to help this historical gem return to it's former 1920's glory please give it a try! I am so pleased we did!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank noirnevara
lancaster, pa
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the hotel this past weekend, despite the reviews we read on this site. We knew we weren't staying at a major hotel chain, so we went into it expecting to be disappointed. Much to our surprise and delight, we weren't disappointed at all. The Conneaut Lake Park area has a lot of charm from a time long gone, and that is what made it such a great experience. While walking around the hotel, the grounds, and the old amusement park, you couldn't help but think of what the place was like at it's peak when it was always full of vacationing families. We were specific when we requested rooms--asking for renovated rooms with showers (all rooms now have A/C). We paid slightly more for those rooms, but it was worth it. They were clean, fresh, and had a wonderful view. All staff that we encountered were friendly, nice and helpful. We enjoyed sitting on the large porch and had a great time in the bar that evening--the entertainment (MJT) was a lot of fun and it added to our experience.
I can understand why people would write poor reviews if they were given a room that hadn't been renovated yet, but understanding that they are working on a limited budget based on donations goes a long way. If you know what to expect when you book your room then you won't be disappointed.
The only reason I can't give this a 5 star rating is because I know that all rooms are not yet in the condition that our room was. I don't want to mislead....

Room Tip: Request rooms that have been renovated with showers!
4 Thank jackiefox
New Brighton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stay at the hotel 2 or 3 times during the summer months. Part of my love for this old place is due to the fact I grew up coming here. I live just north of Pittsburgh and the 80 mile trip can be done in just over an hour. The hotel is old and is in need of repair, but they are trying. The majority of the renovations completed are strictly from volunteers and donations. They are trying to restore it back to its original beauty when it was built in the late 1890's. The rooms are clean and the furniture is all old antique types donated by the kind people who love this place as much as I do. Staying at the hotel is like staying at an old southern mansion. We always get up early and sit on the big wrap around porch with our morning coffee and enjoy the beautiful view of the lake. There are things you can point out and complain in any place you stay. Sure, you can stay at one of those Holiday Inn, Hampton Suites, or any new hotel built in the last 20 years but you're never find the charm, the view and the nice people you meet sitting on that porch relaxing and enjoying a step back in time........

Room Tip: Make sure when you are booking that you tell them you want a room with a TV, air conditioning and sh...
3 Thank candyn2013
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Most likely will never return. We had to switch our room three times before finding one we would actually sleep in. No SHOWERS in most rooms and bath tubs are yellow. The "second" room we were offered had no bed spread, very yellow sheets, sunken mattress, discusting carpet and overall straight out of the 1950's. The third room was a renovated room and was lovely. I would never recommend this hotel until all renovations are complete. Customer service was sub-par, very unorganized!

We attended a reception in the mail ball room that was absolutely beautiful. Food was excellent, accomodations for that were amazing, decorations superb, service in the reception was wonderful. Lovely reception staff :)

Travelers are raving about these Conneaut Lake hotels

Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 12, 2013

On June 8, 2013, my Fiance' and I checked in at 3pm at Hotel Conneaut, and by 3:15, we were out of there! First off, they charged me debit card $125.40, prior to even seeing the room. Most hotels don't charge you until you check out. When we got to our room, the bath tub had yellow stains in it and looked like someone peed in it. The bath towels were ragged and had threads hanging from them. They looked like rags I'd wash my car with. There was a fly in the toilet and there was molding coming off from the bath tub. There was trash behind the couch and the carpet looked old and dirty, like from the 1970's. The room was very dirty and disgusting! We were going to call the front desk and request another room, however, there wasn't a phone in the room! When we went to the front desk to complain, an employee grabbed the room keys from my fiance's hand and slammed them down on the counter and said "Toodles", and then walked into the back room. Another woman came out and said she didn't have the authority to give a refund. She said I had to call the manager. There is NO phone at the hotel, so when you call there, you are calling some guys cell phone! I called and complained about the room, and asked for a refund, and he said he would talk to his "partner" and call back. I never got a call back! They never offered us another room or did anything to help the situation. I have disputed the charges with my bank. I should've read the reviews prior to booking there, because, after all of this happened I got online to look at the hotel reviews, and they were all terrible! This place is dirty and the staff is very RUDE!! I would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE!!

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a good room there. They claim to have some rooms that are newly remodeled...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The Seasons Inn at Nick's Place
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 5 in Meadville

Been to Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park? Share your experiences!