“We had the best time!”

Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Conneaut Lake
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Every summer, a group of us have a girls weekend and this year-we chose Conneaut, due to the shorter drive. We booked the rooms and had requested a shower and an air conditioner in advance. Reading the reviews ahead of time, I was happy for the heads-up on that. Anyway, when we checked into the rooms, they were clean (clean towels, no musty smell). Being a past resident of the area, I do hold the park close to me, but didn't expect too much either because I knew it was so old and that not every room was renovated. Anyway, the staff were super friendly. They shared "ghost stories" with us, told us about the history of the hotel, carried our bags, and really made it a pleasant experience. On Saturday evening, we went to Elizabeth's (the restaurant), and this was a little bit of a different story. Our service was terrible. We ordered 5 meals and mine came out about 25 minutes before the others did. I was completely finished before they even got served. The prime rib that others ordered came out completely cold and hard. The server probably came over 3 times total and forgot to bring what we asked for every time! The management, however, was extremely pleasant when we asked to speak to them. The prices are right, and I enjoyed my meal, though nobody else I was with did. Besides the restaurant snaffu, we had a great time there. I will definitely go back for the entire experience!

Room Tip: Request a room with a shower and an air conditioner. They offer Saturday night specials that include...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Marie5224
There are newer reviews for Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in June 2012. It was a beautiful weekend weather-wise and that was a good thing as we were able to keep our window open to remove some of the musty smell. This place needs major renovation. Location and view of the lake from the porch are outstanding. We tried to spend the majority of our time there. Architecturally, the facade is beautiful but that is about the kindest thing I can offer. Amenities are lacking. No tv in rooms. Food in the restaurant was mediocre at best. Lobby bar open only one day of of 2 day stay. Cancellation policy is overly restrictive. We recommend caution before booking. We had booked two rooms for a family getaway and would have cancelled on arrival if we could. We won't stay there again even though we come for an annual golf tournament, the Shamrock Open. I hope the owners do something to restore the hotel. Such lost potential.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there! pay for a room with a/c to remove some moisture. Lake views are lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank lpsmith55
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I grew up locally around the lake and was visiting 50th class reunion and wanted to do something special. As a teenager used to go to the park in the summer all the time. The hotel always was a fantastic place. Boy was I surprised at what has happened to the hotel and the park. We checked in on a Saturday afternoon with no problem. We picked a remodeled room overlooking the lake. Went to our room which was $150 per night. For beginners, no washclothes in room, no soap, no TV remote control. The room was very small, the shower handle kept falling off. The hotel restraurant was only open on the weekend. We stayed 4 days from Sat. thru Tues. The desk was closed on Mon. and Tues. and we were the only paying guests on Mon and Tues. This is a big hotel. On Mon. afternoon we were locked out until the maintence person unlocked the front door saying it was locked to keep children from stealing towels. That's when we learned we were the only guests on Mon and Tues. The hotel grossly overcharged us for the room. Oh, on our last night a part on the AC fell off. The owners were working on the hotel but they have a long road to haul before they can justify charging the prices they are charging.

Room Tip: Do not stay until owners justify prices.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Ron L
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just returned from a two night stay at the Hotel. I was very excited to stay there because I am a lover of settings of this type. Having said that....I love old.....I DO NOT love dirty, rundown, shabby and that describes a room that proudly had a plaque on the outside door stating that the room was "redecorated". When we arrived and entered the room there were cleaning supplies still there and in the bathroom there were rags covered with what they said was rust. It clearly had not been cleaned. After complaining we were told it would be cleaned. We asked for another room and after about an hour were shown three or four rooms that were just as bad or worse. We were in the company of other couples that stayed there and we were heartsick that such a beautiful setting and what once was a beautiful place was in such bad shape. It was the same with just about everyone we saw either checking in or coming back to complain. I did feel sorry for the man behind the desk. It would be terrible to go to work each day and know that people would hate their rooms. Most of the staff seemed to have just given up. The view of the Lake is beautiful but the grounds were filthy and nothing was attended to. I personally think the rooms were way over-priced and unless someone comes in with a ton of money, it is beyond repair.

Room Tip: I would advise that you don't at this point in time.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 556Colleen_K
Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you can't climb stairs...forget it. No elevator. I'd you want AC and/or TV...request a room with those items. It is not a "given" at this old gem. No showers just an old claw foot tub. Staff was friendly enough. Bed....well was like a cheap mattress bought at a bargain outlet. It would behoove you to take pillow covers and a cheap set of sheets. But we knew it wasn't the Hyatt (or motel 6 for that matter) but think of it as an adventure going back in time. Needs a good coat of paint and a scrub brush for sure Fun little complex. No ghosts were seen but I did feel the bottom corner of my mattress go down as if someone sat on it. Restaurants were fine. So If u want to ck out the hotel, remember my suggestions. Oh, and your door key will fit into multiple key holes and open other rooms (and vice versa). Don't leave valuables. Hope this review helps. Enjoy

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Neesie1259
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I almost did not book my stay here after reading some of the reviews, but I am glad I decided to check it out for myself. The check in process was very quick and easy, and the staff quite friendly. Our room was small, but more than adequate for our needs. The room was clean, the beds were comfy, air conditioner worked. No remote for tv, but that was minor.

My son and I explored the hotel, walking throughout and looking into unoccupied rooms (the doors to these rooms are left open). It was fun to see the differently decorated rooms, the old fashioned bathtubs, like a trip back in time.

Yes, the place is run down in spots, but it's ancient, and the owners really seem like they are trying to bring it back-it just takes time and money.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant. The food was very good, and the service excellent.

My only complaint was the price-I have stayed in much better places for $130/night. Still, the experience was a good one, and I would encourage anyone waffling about this place to check it out for themselves.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a renovated room with air, tv, shower. It looks like most of them do have air...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Savarose
Reviewed July 15, 2012

we did not sleep here but did have dinner in the hotel restaurant Elizabeth's, it was not bad at all...price was fair and food decent..it seemed clean ..maybe with time the outside will look good too..there seemed to be people checking in for rooms...but we did not stay the night

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
#4 of 5 in Meadville
Days Inn Conneaut
Days Inn Conneaut
#2 of 2 in Conneaut

Been to Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park? Share your experiences!