“Really Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Conneaut Lake
Surprise, Arizona
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I grew up locally around the lake and was visiting 50th class reunion and wanted to do something special. As a teenager used to go to the park in the summer all the time. The hotel always was a fantastic place. Boy was I surprised at what has happened to the hotel and the park. We checked in on a Saturday afternoon with no problem. We picked a remodeled room overlooking the lake. Went to our room which was $150 per night. For beginners, no washclothes in room, no soap, no TV remote control. The room was very small, the shower handle kept falling off. The hotel restraurant was only open on the weekend. We stayed 4 days from Sat. thru Tues. The desk was closed on Mon. and Tues. and we were the only paying guests on Mon and Tues. This is a big hotel. On Mon. afternoon we were locked out until the maintence person unlocked the front door saying it was locked to keep children from stealing towels. That's when we learned we were the only guests on Mon and Tues. The hotel grossly overcharged us for the room. Oh, on our last night a part on the AC fell off. The owners were working on the hotel but they have a long road to haul before they can justify charging the prices they are charging.

Room Tip: Do not stay until owners justify prices.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Ron L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just returned from a two night stay at the Hotel. I was very excited to stay there because I am a lover of settings of this type. Having said that....I love old.....I DO NOT love dirty, rundown, shabby and that describes a room that proudly had a plaque on the outside door stating that the room was "redecorated". When we arrived and entered the room there were cleaning supplies still there and in the bathroom there were rags covered with what they said was rust. It clearly had not been cleaned. After complaining we were told it would be cleaned. We asked for another room and after about an hour were shown three or four rooms that were just as bad or worse. We were in the company of other couples that stayed there and we were heartsick that such a beautiful setting and what once was a beautiful place was in such bad shape. It was the same with just about everyone we saw either checking in or coming back to complain. I did feel sorry for the man behind the desk. It would be terrible to go to work each day and know that people would hate their rooms. Most of the staff seemed to have just given up. The view of the Lake is beautiful but the grounds were filthy and nothing was attended to. I personally think the rooms were way over-priced and unless someone comes in with a ton of money, it is beyond repair.

Room Tip: I would advise that you don't at this point in time.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 556Colleen_K

Travelers are raving about these Conneaut Lake hotels

Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you can't climb stairs...forget it. No elevator. I'd you want AC and/or TV...request a room with those items. It is not a "given" at this old gem. No showers just an old claw foot tub. Staff was friendly enough. Bed....well was like a cheap mattress bought at a bargain outlet. It would behoove you to take pillow covers and a cheap set of sheets. But we knew it wasn't the Hyatt (or motel 6 for that matter) but think of it as an adventure going back in time. Needs a good coat of paint and a scrub brush for sure Fun little complex. No ghosts were seen but I did feel the bottom corner of my mattress go down as if someone sat on it. Restaurants were fine. So If u want to ck out the hotel, remember my suggestions. Oh, and your door key will fit into multiple key holes and open other rooms (and vice versa). Don't leave valuables. Hope this review helps. Enjoy

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank Neesie1259
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I almost did not book my stay here after reading some of the reviews, but I am glad I decided to check it out for myself. The check in process was very quick and easy, and the staff quite friendly. Our room was small, but more than adequate for our needs. The room was clean, the beds were comfy, air conditioner worked. No remote for tv, but that was minor.

My son and I explored the hotel, walking throughout and looking into unoccupied rooms (the doors to these rooms are left open). It was fun to see the differently decorated rooms, the old fashioned bathtubs, like a trip back in time.

Yes, the place is run down in spots, but it's ancient, and the owners really seem like they are trying to bring it back-it just takes time and money.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant. The food was very good, and the service excellent.

My only complaint was the price-I have stayed in much better places for $130/night. Still, the experience was a good one, and I would encourage anyone waffling about this place to check it out for themselves.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a renovated room with air, tv, shower. It looks like most of them do have air...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Savarose
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2012

we did not sleep here but did have dinner in the hotel restaurant Elizabeth's, it was not bad at all...price was fair and food decent..it seemed clean ..maybe with time the outside will look good too..there seemed to be people checking in for rooms...but we did not stay the night

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank marianng
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were there as part of a wedding, otherwise we would have left. The premium room with a lake view was half renovated and had Spartan, old junk furniture. When we arrived, there were no towels and the toilet had old urine still on it. The king size bed was a mattress stacked on old twin mattress, stacked on a regular bed frame. As expected, the frame was broke causing the bed to sag. I spent the first night trying not to roll down hill onto my wife. After three complaints, they sent a guy to fix it with a stack of 2 x 4's. When I said that the bed was still not level, the guy, who turned out to be the "manager" said it was and then claimed that my 90 lb wife had broke the frame! We demanded another room and were moved to a smaller, older room at the same price. It upset it me so much it ruined the wedding for me. I have traveled quite a bit and this rates as the worst place I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: The lake view is through small windows blocked by trees
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank John W
Bowmanstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2012

If you're looking for a peaceful stay by the lake this is not for you! Band playing, hooting and cursing going on till 3 am. Newly renovated rooms but no furnishings. Linens were not on the bed, they didn't have any that fit until the next day. Felt bad for the clerk, he was dealing with all the complaints. Way over priced.

Room Tip: Stay at a chain hotel if your looking for quality.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 5 in Meadville
Holiday Inn Express Meadville

Been to Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park? Share your experiences!