“Love Clocks?”

National Watch and Clock Museum
Ranked #1 of 12 Shopping in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Watch and Clock Museum was officially opened to the public in 1977 with fewer than 1,000 items. Since that time, the collection has increased to over 12,000 items and the museum has undergone several expansion projects. The latest expansion opened in October 1999 and featured an entirely new and redesigned exhibit space, as well as a new two-story addition. Today, the museum is recognized as the largest and most comprehensive horological collection in North America.The National Watch & Clock Museum is conveniently located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, less than two hours from Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre.
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Interesting way to spend some time while visiting a beautiful area. History of clocks and the relevance to the area is fascinating. Not really for youngsters though.

All reviews
"two hours"
in 11 reviews
"gift shop"
in 15 reviews
"every hour on the hour"
"sounds boring"
in 31 reviews
"exhibits"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have to admit to having a minimal, if any, interest in old watches and clocks. What I did have was time to kill, and though I knew about this museum, I had never thought to go there. Turns out it is quite an interesting museum. Not really attractive to younger children, but if you want to learn a few things, including why time ticks by instead of flowing by these days, it is worth a stop. Allocate at least 90 minutes, more if you want to look at the extensive displays of clocks and watches. Skipping some of those, and concentrating on the history portions will eat up 90 minutes. Quite interesting though, and well worth a visit, especially if you live in the area and take it for granted.

1  Thank seat_4G
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this museum. They have quite a collection. Glad that I read trip advisor reviews before going there so we were able to see a demo of the Engle clock. Bought a beautiful crochet necklace in the giftshop. Have gotten a lot of compliments on it.

Reviewed April 30, 2011

There's a lot of interesting stuff packed into one fairly small museum. Clocks and watches stretching back centuries and thought-provoking interactive elements. (I particularly liked learning about water clocks!) Make sure to pay attention to the time, so you can see the Engle Clock demonstrated at the top of the hour (my favorite part!). The gift shop, however, was a bit of a disappointment.

1  Thank Enthusiastical
See more reviews
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I LOVE clocks…I enjoy browsing clock stores. Tours of old homes usually has me focusing on the clocks throughout the rooms. So when I found mention of this museum in a Pennsylvania guidebook, I had to check it out. On a cold February day, my husband and I drove 2 hours to check out this museum. We were not disappointed. The museum experience begins with a 10 minute video. Then you follow a mostly chronological path through the museum which exhibits the earliest examples of time keeping through today’s clocks and watches. There are some time pieces that will amaze you and rows and rows of old pocket and wrist watches. There are several sections that have hands on activities. Be sure not to miss the hourly live demonstration of the ‘Engle’ Monumental Clock (this was not very well advertised, so ask when you purchase your ticket). The special exhibit ‘James Bond Watches’ (through April 30, 2011) was disappointing. We enjoyed the vintage movie posters, but otherwise found this special exhibit to be our least favorite part of the museum. The museum contains a gift shop on site, and there is plenty of free parking.

I would have given this attraction five stars if it had a better selection of Cuckoo Clocks…yes, I am that petty…

1  Thank spontaneoustrip