Tripadvisor

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Bike & Hike

Reviewed November 21, 2019
Travel64372572802

All reviews kayak trip smith river multi sport stout grove guide josh dry bag fun kayaking big rock mountain bike ride wet suits short hike half day trip great trip life jackets small rapids water level class rapids
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I went on a Redwood Rides rafting trip down the Smith River with a group of friends yesterday. Despite this being my first time rafting, I felt totally comfortable with Alex and Josh as our guides. We had a ton of fun, but also felt safe thanks to Josh and Alex. I never thought I'd be doing something like this in January, but it was surprisingly comfortable despite the cold water! They provide you with a wetsuit, neoprene socks and gloves, a splashguard top, and helmet. If you have the chance to do a rafting trip with them, I wouldn't hesitate any time of year!

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed November 21, 2019

Excellent day trip! 100% professionally coordinated and enthusiastically executed! Our bike and hike was customized to our needs and to the timeline I had. I thouroughly enjoyed every minute of our three hour trip, we were expertly educated about the area, the trees, the trails and learned so much! I only wish I had more time!!! I definitely recommend this provider and I hope that I will have the opportunity to return and take the rafting trip in the summer!

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed November 15, 2019

I planned a solo kayaking and hiking trip to the north North Coast. I asked the Requa Inn to recommend a local outfitter that could accompany me down the Klamath River and perhaps the Smith as well. They recommended Adam and Alex, who started Redwood Rides about 5 years ago. They were two flexible and delightful young men who accompanied me in a canoe while I kayaked down the Klamath one day and then arranged for Adam and I to raft the Smith a couple of days later. The two rivers are very different and Adam and Alex were sensitive to my skill levels and the appropriateness of my kayak for conditions on the two rivers. I really enjoyed their company and their low-key approach to offering their services.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed October 18, 2019

My husband and I called to book a multi-day tour (cycle/kayak) in October. We were told it's the "off" season and many guides had returned to university but they would find someone...and they did! So we were the only ones cycling in the morning. Another couple joined us for kayaking in the afternoon. The bike ride was super easy on a packed dirt road (cars drive it, but slowly among the big trees). It's clear that their tour is meant for all levels. Our guide (Adam) had a lot to tell us about the area an the flora. Good information! We had a good lunch of sandwiches and fruit. on the bank of the Smith River (next to our kayak input). The kayak part was fun! They are inflatable kayaks so really maneuverable and they bounce off the rocks...which was good because I was horrible at the small rapids we went down....but always felt safe as these are wide bottom boats that are really stable. Overall a fun and beautiful experience!

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed October 12, 2019

Dealing with RR was fun and easy. The equipment was in tip top shape and they gave us pointers on where to stop for lunch. I will definitely use them again. Thanks Adam!

Date of experience: October 2019