Review Highlights
Awesome rafting trip on lower Smith River!!!

We were looking for a low-key, introductory rafting trip for our family to celebrate our parents... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Curiosity687451
Great Trip

Took an inflatable kayak trip down the White River. Guide was knowledgeable about the river and the... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed October 29, 2018
cdrawdy2018

All reviews kayak trip smith river multi sport dry bag fun kayaking mountain bike ride guide laura great trip splash jackets water level half day trip river kayaking swimming hole wet suits short hike these guys redwood grove
Reviewed June 2, 2016

Even though we have several 2-person kayaks my wife, niece and her boyfriend all wanted their own kayak for our trip down the Smith River 2 weeks ago. Adam Spencer at Redwood Rides fixed us up with kayaks, wet suits for the niece and boyfriend, life vests and some extra gear. He got us on the river while the morning mist was still rising and was waiting for us at the take-out point about 6 hours later. We didn't need Adam's river guide services since we are local and kayak the river every year. But on the way to our put-in spot he used the time to give our visitors some much appreciated information on the area flora, fauna and geology. He also gave us a heads up on some of the changes to the whitewater riffles which shift every year from the heavy winter rains.

Adam S, Owner at Redwood Rides, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2016

Thank you, Willie! We are only one out of the many small businesses here that appreciate your support. Thanks for letting us use your amazing photos of the redwoods. We will do whatever we can to help out your visiting friends and family whenever they're in town!

Reviewed May 31, 2016

The wife and I had the most amazing time. Mr. Alex was great he was able to tend to all the people who went and didn't leave anyone out. He made sure that we had a blast. We only did the 1/2 day trip and by the time we were done we wanted to do the whole day. Redwoods rides is going to be our go to company when it comes to outdoor activities. They are very knowledgeable and very friendly people. We can't wait when we have more time to go backpacking with them. AWESOME TIME !!!!! Thanks guys

Adam S, Owner at Redwood Rides, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2016

Thank you so much!! We had a blast with your group and can't wait to see you out here again!

Reviewed May 30, 2016

Incomparably beautiful river trip on a mild 1 and 2 scale rapids.... we went in Late May 2016. Our guide was fun and knew how to make the experience best for us, including lunch... I would recommend this for people who are not experienced rafters or who are not wanting too much excitement in the water who want to explore the river. I'd love to go again,in the summer, when the water is warmer and you can swim in the holes on the way.

Adam S, Owner at Redwood Rides, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2016

Thanks so much, Sharon. You're so right, the Smith is incomparably beautiful! We hope you'll come back in July or August when the swimming's good!

Reviewed May 25, 2016

Our group took the 1/2 day beginner kayak tour down the Smith River. My only regret is that we didn't do the full day tour because we had such a great time!

BEST PARTS:
- Seeing the river from the water alone was well with the money.
- Adam and Alex were super awesome, friendly, and casual guys. It was like meeting a couple of buddies for a day out rather than two strangers who were working as paid guides.
- Being able to rent all the gear necessary for the trip (wet suits, booties, etc) was a bonus because we didn't have to take extra bulky items camping with us. They even had splash jackets & dry bags for the people in our group that wanted them.
- Alex took a couple photos of us on the river and emailed them to us.

WORST PARTS:
Like I said before, I wish we had done the full day, but that's our fault. We thought we would be spent after 3 hours, but the adrenaline from the fun had us ready for more. I don't have a single negative thing to say about Redwood Rides.

THINGS TO BRING:
Sunscreen and a camera, although make sure your camera is water resistant or waterproof. Alex advised me to put mine in a dry bag, but I took a chance with carrying it in my life vest and it got soaked, but luckily still works. I love some of the pictures I was able to get with it!

Adam S, Owner at Redwood Rides, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2016

Thanks, Steve! We had a blast taking your group out on the river! Many people visit our area as part of a regional tour — seeing Crater Lake, California wine country, the Oregon Coast, etc. — so I always love to see groups like yours that fly right into Crescent City and focus on the amazing diversity of outdoor experiences offered right here in the northwest corner of California, from the most scenic redwood groves, to the amazingly clean wild and scenic Smith River, and the rocky and scenic coastline (Steve said the scenery made his San Diego beaches look boring!). We hope your whole trip was awesome and that we can take you out on different adventures next time!

Reviewed May 19, 2016 via mobile

We did this biking trip in March 2016. Though this is a late review, we were so impressed with these guys that I was compelled to write this review.
We found out about redwood rides in the local magazine in our hotel lobby. They were able to arrange the biking trip for our family within a few hours. Adam, our guide was friendly and very helpful. He is very passionate about what he does. Overall it was the highlight of our family trip to the redwoods. I would definitely recommend these guys. Great jobs guys!! Keep it up.

Adam S, Owner at Redwood Rides, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2016

Thank you for the review, Indranil! I had a really great time meeting your family and making everyone comfortable on their mountain bike as we wound through the redwoods. It was especially fun to teach your children about some of the edible plants found in the redwood forest and seeing their wide-eyed surprise when I popped a redwood sorrel leaf in my mouth! I hope the whole experience will instill appreciation for the redwood forest in your curious and adventurous children!