“Close to nature”
Review of Hiouchi Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hiouchi
Hiouchi Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hiouchi
Ipoh, Malaysia
“Close to nature”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We came halfway round the globe to see the magnificent Redwoods. To smell the fresh forest air from this motel was an additional bonus. The absence of air conditioning and the ineffectiveness of the blinds did not bother us. Sure there were two dogs beneath our window, but they only bark in the mornings.
Take a short stroll to see Jed Smith Redwood Burl Co and bought a couple of his beautiful Redwood bookmarks and business card boxes. Generally the surroundings were calm and the forest air was invigorating.
If you like nature and not perpetually rushing around, you will love this motel and the Redwoods. Otherwise stay in Crescent City.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was one of many stops on a road trip. I chose this because of the location to the Jedediah Smith park. I was disappointed to find out the restaurant the motel web site and other reviews mention was closed down. We had planned on dining there both for dinner and breakfast since there is no continental breakfast offered by the motel. The staff told us the nearest restaurant was 10 miles away in Crescent City. The only other option was the overpriced gas station across the street. The room also had no air conditioning and no screen on one of the windows, which we had opened to let in some air. In addition to flying bugs, the smoke from the neighbors cigarettes also came in. The windows and the curtains are thin. We could hear the traffic quite well and lots of light came in. We were happy to see the refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave, but the ice maker didn't work while we were there.

Room Tip: Because the traffic can clearly be heard, request a room as far away from the highway as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
seattle, wa
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed there two days ago as a last minute option while visiting the Redwood Forest and the thing that sticks out in my mind is praying I'd fall asleep soon so I could stop itching and feeling creeped out by the bed sheets. The place was $66 and I know why, you are paying for a roof and bottom of the line amenities. Hair was found in the "clean towels", a layer of dust on the fan that I couldn't turn on in the heat I felt because I was afraid the dust would fly everywhere. After checking in I had a need to take a shower because I felt so dirty in the room. A brown ring covered the tub and that's when I just had enough.

Not sure why so many gave this place a good rating, I'm quite surprised. Why I gave this place two stars and not one: they accepted pets, it was in a great location and the price was cheaper than a bottle of restaurant wine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chacha79
Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

I cannot believe that someone has rated this motel any higher than a 2. I call this place the 'Last Chance Motel'.

Where to begin.....

First, upon arriving, my reservation was lost, the key was lost, so I was given the hotel's master key, and then given instructions to go to the wrong room. Upon opening the door...let's just say unpleasant for both parties involved.
After a lot of searching, the night attendant and I finally figured out that I was on the second floor, not the first like I was told.....ughhhh.

Now the room. Dust everywhere, hair in the tub, towels, and sink. The beds were very sketchy, and screamed bed bugs. The blankets gave me the willies. To top it off, the motel backs up to a property with two big dogs that decided to bark all night. Couple that with no a/c, I wished I had Quaaludes and a stiff drink to knock me out.

Yes, it's close to Jedediah park, and it's cheap, but think long and hard about this place. Or, go there with the mentality that it's only one night, and you can endure anything.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Jaypacific
virginia
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Office hours are limited but staff is friendly. Advise would be bring your own pillows. There are only two per bed and they are pretty flat. Our room was clean and equipped with microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker. Motel is cute and pet friendly. I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank veronica030
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We were in the area and it was getting late and the road was starting to get foggy. I checked out the trip advisor reviews and based on them we decided to stay. I agree with the other reviewers regarding the need for curtains as the blinds don't make the room dark enough. We had some problems with the noise also - bunch of fisherman were standing next to their trucks trading stories and you could hear them like they were standing next to you. When we went to get ice- the machine that was outdoors was empty and the ice scoop just sitting out on top of the machine --- seems the fisherman had just filled up their coolers. I'm not comfortable with scooping ice for a drink with a scoop that has been sitting outside where birds fly by and poop and anyone can access it.
I think this is a good place at a good price but I think there are a couple of things the management could do to make it better.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Amy L
Oak Hills, CA
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This motel is perfect if you're looking for a 'no frills' motel that's clean and inexpensive. It's in an absolutely awesome location, just down the street from Jedediah Smith Redwoods. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone looking to get away from it all and experience the beauty of the redwoods. Located just next door is a nice little cafe that offers up some decent breakfast. I definitely plan to come back here in the near future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank oakhillstraveler007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiouchi
Ocean View Inn & Suites
#15 of 19 in Crescent City
Anchor Beach Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
#8 of 19 in Crescent City

Been to Hiouchi Motel? Share your experiences!